Domain not working.

c740015

Reaction score
Hi I finally set it all up.... added the summary hosts on go daddy and the nameservers..

I can ping the domain name and it will return the ip address of the VPS..

But for some reason the website just keeps loading like its not resolving the address..

Is there something I am doing wrong..

Basiaclly I tested everything on a different domain.. then changed all the settings in webmin/virtualmin
to go with the new domain..

I managed to get the webpage loaded once but only a tiny part of it loaded..

Please could some one assist me with this.. Have I done something wrong?

Thanks..

c740015

Reaction score
I think when I was switching the domain settings that something in bind has messed up.. Because the page just wont load at all..
If i wait 30 minutes.. Some of the webpage loads...
But I dunno what I done :(

c740015

Reaction score
UPDATE i used network tools to find out whats going on and It returns this error

Query for DNS records for MYDOMAIND.COM failed: Address not available

Anyone know why this is and how I could correct it :(...
My site has been offline for some time now.

c740015

Reaction score
O.k. Its still not working and I dunno what I have done wrong..

Since I changed the doamin to move it over the website wont resolve an address..

What can I do to get this fixed? My site has been offline for a long time now.. It needs pulling back up.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
Hi,

It's possible that there is a slight error in the configuration on BIND. Perhaps you mistyped the domain name when you entered it?
Also you should double check that your domain is pointed to your nameservers.
Also domain settings can take a while to take effect so it may be worth waiting a bit, because sometimes DNS issues fix themselves.

Something I find quite useful which diagnosing nameserver problems is this: http://guide.opendns.com/?url=yourdomain.com&servfail (Replace yourdomain.com with your domain). The on that page click "See which nameservers are failing".
This will show which nameservers are serving your domain, and whether they are working.
If you get the error: SERVFAIL it suggests BIND is not running/broken
If you get the error: NORECORDS (I think that the error) it means that no matching records were found on the server.

c740015

Reaction score
I Ran that test but I but there is still something wrong..

Here is the error I think its something to do with network configuration in Bind.. I scared to touch that..

HERE are the errors.

Hmm, uniquez-home.com isn't loading right now.
The computers that run uniquez-home.com are having some trouble. Usually this is just a temporary problem, so you might want to try again in a few minutes.

The servers listed are working, but something else might have gone wrong

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
hmm... That's odd because everything seems to suggest the domain is working, and I do get some of the page loading, but it's incredibly slow. There may be something wrong with Apache.
Could you try restarting Apache. Also can you check how much Free RAM (Memory) you VPS has. (Either look in the VPS control or run the try the command "free -m".)

c740015

Reaction score
I have restarted apache and bind several times lol.. And still nothing....

RAM USAGE

Real memory 1024 MB total, 487.49 MB used

Like I said I did run this on a domain I have spare.. Everything was fine with the same levels of ram being used and exact same files and databses in the websites...

As soon as I changed the domian name thats when the problems started to happen..

When i run network tools it tells me this

Query for DNS records for uniquez-home.com failed: Address not available

I have rebooted the server in the main panel. Aswell I dunno whats wrong.

With that command in SSH i got this return

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1024 443 580 0 0 0
-/+ buffers/cache: 443 580
Swap: 0 0 0

Really puzzled

Last edited:

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I've just used this tool: http://www.hscripts.com/tools/HDNT/dns-record.php to lookup a couple of your DNS records. It reports the correct A record (the one that really matters), and that is pointed to your VPS's IP address. However looking up the NS (Nameserver) record shows that it is pointed back to itself. I'm not sure, but this could cause a problem. Could you try setting it to your IP address instead.

Also is there anything of interest in the Apache error logs?

EDIT: You page is still loading, so far I've got the header. lol

Last edited:

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
As soon as I changed the domian name thats when the problems started to happen..
You changed the domain name in Virtualmin? How did you do that? Did you simply change the domain name or did you create a new virtual server with the new domain name and new details?

c740015

Reaction score
In virtualmin I pressed server configuration and then changed the domain.. Because I didnt wanna lose all the files on there...

Should I really be deleting that domain then making a new one????

Also would it delete all my files.. If so how would i make it not delete all my files..

@ TechAsh I not sure what you mean.. Which settings need to be changed?

But sounds like thats the problem I thought my self it seems like its bouncing back on its self. So its dunno where it is going...

Last edited:

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
If you login to WebMin and go to "Servers" -> "BIND DNS Server". Then click on your domain name in the "Existing DNS Zones" section. Then click "Name Server", you will see the name server records for you domain. Click on the records "Name" (Which will be the same as your domains name) to edit it. You should then enter your VPS's IP address, click "save" and the "Apply Zone" in the top right corner.

EDIT: When browsing your site it does seem like something is endlessly redirecting because it does nothing for a while, then load the page all of a sudden (I'm guessing whatever is redirecting eventually times out).

Last edited:

c740015

Reaction score
UGHHH Yeah it had the old domain in there that I was testing as the name server..

When I try to change this to my VPS ip i get this error when applying the zone.. but yeah that seems like the problem

NDC command failed : rndc: connect failed: 127.0.0.1#953: connection refused

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
Can you go to the "Module Index" for "BIND DNS Server" in WebMin and click "Setup RNDC", then "Yes, Setup RNDC". Then try changing your DNS record again.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
In virtualmin I pressed server configuration and then changed the domain.. Because I didnt wanna lose all the files on there...
I have never tried doing that. Due to the fact that this is the point where things started going bad for you I am wondering if this caused some kind of problem with configuration, especially BIND.
Should I really be deleting that domain then making a new one????
NO. Not at this time. We will try to find a better solution.
Also would it delete all my files.. If so how would i make it not delete all my files..
Creating a new virtual server would not delete any files. It would simply create a new "blank" virtual server. The problem is that files would have to be transferred to the the new virtual server.
Just throwing out a few thoughts. Maybe somebody will think of a solution from the ongoing dialogue.

c740015

Reaction score
O yes I did that :) And it allowed me to apply zone..

The website seems to be working.. I think its set right lol..
it used to have the domain twice in both fields.. So is it the IP that should go in there?? Because I think it had the domain in there twice.

Name TTL Name Server
"uniquez-home.com." Default "VPSIP

Also for subdomains I setup.. Is there anything different I need to do there?

You have been a massive help.. Best support I have had than from anywhere else...
Big REP to you guys here at x10.. You sure know what your doing and how to point a noob in the right direction :).
I just hope you dont have to put up with more guys like me lol.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
Name TTL Name Server
"uniquez-home.com." Default "VPSIP"
That should be correct. Yes.

Also for subdomains I setup.. Is there anything different I need to do there?
Nope, you would set up a sub domain exactly the same way as a normal domain.

You have been a massive help.. Best support I have had than from anywhere else...
Big REP to you guys here at x10.. You sure know what your doing and how to point a noob in the right direction .
Thanks. I'm glad I could help :)

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I am very sure that I speak for TechAsh and all the other folks who help out in the forums when I say that we all help out because we enjoy helping out. All volunteer support with very few exceptions. It is a very good feeling to help resolve a problem a question, even if it takes a few days....:biggrin:

c740015

Reaction score
Lol Yeahh.. Spot on...

I still having issues though...

If i type the Ip address in for the name server.. I dunno if its correct here but the website still isnt loading lol.. anyway when i run the test with
http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=express&host=uniquez-home.com

and put in the nameserver as Domain name then VPS ip.. It returns that it cannot be resolved..
How ever if I put the domain name in twice for name and nameserver

Name TTL Name Server
uniquez-home.com. Default uniquez-home.com.

Like this I get a nice report back from network tools.

uniquez-home.com NS uniquez-home.com 38400s
uniquez-home.com A 99.198.122.110 38400s

I have left it at this for the name serve with the domain in twice still not loading GRRR..

Is there something I should be looking at or doing?

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
You could try using a www.no-ip.com domain as you nameserver. What you would need to do is sign-up on no-ip.com and create a domain that points to your VPS's IP address.
Then in WebMin set your domain's nameserver to this no-ip domain.
This is the method that I use on my VPSs. You would only need to do this for your primary domain, any future domains you create can be pointed at your primary domain for their nameservers.