Domain Problem, I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucia1

Reaction score
Saturday, I transferred my domain name, MontereyBayImages.com from Bravenet to x10Hosting, so that I can communicate directly to Wordl Wide Web (WWW). My site with X10Hosting is listed as http://ventana.x10hosting.com. With the transfer, I was hoping to have http://www.MontereyBayImages.Com.It usually takes a couple of days to get the transfer, so I waited until Sunday to try it. The transfer had not been made Sunday evening and I could still use the X10Hosting server.

Also on Sunday, I set up a Web Disk on X10Hosting. You need a pass word for the Web Disk. I set the pass word, but the Web Disk did not work like I thought it would, so I deleted the Web Disk. I put this information here to provide a complete audit of my actions before the problem developed. Also, I set up Outlook Email to my site, using IMAP and POP. I had problems with the set up Sunday, but I was able to make it work today, using the same settings that would not work yesterday.

Today, when I go to my site now with either url, http://ventana.x10hosting.com or http://www.MontereyBayImages.Com, I get a pager reading Authorization required, 401 Authorization RequiredThis server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

Additionally, a 401 Authorization Required error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. I get the same message using http://www.montereybayimages.com/. It appears that I am locked out of the x10Hosting server.

I can run an email test using the lotus server, but I cannot access my web page using a browser. Everything else is working well, I just cannot access my website through any browser. I do not know where to start to solve this problem. There are two jpg screen attachments with this request to help sort this out. I need help.

Attachments

• authorization required 2.JPG
    authorization required 2.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 66
  • authorization required.JPG
    authorization required.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 102

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
Did you just switch the DNS or did you actually transfer the domain?

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
I just recalled something, Is there a .htaccess file in your public_html?

He's right. You should see something like

Code:
AuthType Basic
AuthName "/home/lucia1/home/lucia1"
AuthUserFile "/home/lucia1/.htpasswds/public_html/grep/passwd"
require valid-user

in your .htaccess file (you have to have FileManager set up to show the 'hidden files' to see it)

Either delete those lines or put a # in front of each.

lucia1

Reaction score

Great question! I went back to Bravenet.com and discovered that I had only changed the name servers to the x10Hosting servers. I also checked to make sure that I correctly spelled the x10hosting servers names.
So, I am assuming that I just switched server names, when I made that change.

So, when I returned to the Bravenet.com site tonight, I retraced my steps. I found out that I had not actually made the domain name transfer to x10Hosting. I paid the fee to make the transfer change and left the x10Hosting server names in the changes.

So I if I understand correctly, the first time, Ijust switched servers or server names. The second time, I know I made the transfer because Bravenet.com acknowledged reciept of my funds. If there is something else that I may have missed or did not do, please let me know. Currently, I am waiting for the change to happen and I hope that clears up the matter. Your thoughts please and thanks for your response.
Edit:

I believe their is an .htaccess file in my public_html. I will check.
Edit:

Code:
AuthType Basic
require valid-user

in your .htaccess file (you have to have FileManager set up to show the 'hidden files' to see it)

I remember seeing this file some time ago. It is no longer there. I need directions on how to set up the FileManager to see 'hidden files'. I opened preferences and found a check box for disabling Character Encoding VErification Dialogs. Are you writing about the Change Permissions menu? If so, then I understand what you mean.

Since I do not have the .htaccess file, I need to write one. I am assuming it is a text file and the file should be placed in the root folder of public_html. Please correct me if my assumptions are wrong. I wan to get this right. Thanks for the response.

Last edited:

lucia1

Reaction score

I just wrote an .htaccess file and uploaded it using the File Manager. It did not show up in my files at public_html. In fact, when I went to refresh my public_html files, I got an error. I do not know if the file was still transferring. Maybe, I went to the public_html folder too soon. I attached acopu of the .htaccess file.

Attachments

• .htacess.txt
    135 bytes · Views: 48

lucia1

Reaction score
I just wrote an .htaccess file and uploaded it using the File Manager. It did not show up in my files at public_html. In fact, when I went to refresh my public_html files, I got an error. I do not know if the file was still transferring. Maybe, I went to the public_html folder too soon. I attached acopu of the .htaccess file.

I just noticed the .txt on the .htaccess file. I will have to recieve it. I used notepad. I will notepad++ to re-write.

Danielx386

Reaction score
I found the issue, rename the file to .htaccess.old. Then try and access your website :) (you do this in your public_html folder)

lucia1

Reaction score
I found the issue, rename the file to .htaccess.old. Then try and access your website :) (you do this in your public_html folder)

I checked the web site. It still not working. I am receiving the same error notice as before. Also, the .htaccess file is not showing up in the File Manager. I uploaded 3 times and on each occassion, File Manager asked if I wanted to write over the old file. If the file is hidden, how do I set up the File Manager to see all hidden files, without using the Change permissions menu option, which I would have to work with every folder until I find the file, which may not be there.

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
The .htaccess is hidden file.
to view it. In your cpanel scroll down , In the last there is a link called reset all interface settings click it. Then click on filemanager. Select show hidden files then click open

This time it will show.

lucia1

Reaction score
The .htaccess is hidden file.
to view it. In your cpanel scroll down , In the last there is a link called reset all interface settings click it. Then click on filemanager. Select show hidden files then click open

This time it will show.
Yes it did show. There is only a thin line accross the top of the file. Otherwise it is blank. It looks empty. I will look around and see if there is another good copy of the file that Ican place in the folder.Also I see the file that I uploaded. The problem with that file is that it's name is .htaccess.txt

What is the proper way to write an .htaccess file to get the proper suffix. I used notepad ++, but I did not see that suffix under all files. Therefore, I am doing something wrong and ending up with a text file.
Edit:

Code:
AuthType Basic
require valid-user

I found the file. There is nothing in the file. It is just an empty file. I
Edit:

I know3 that the doamin is transfered now. So what can I do to confirm the transfer. I checked at Bravenet and they said that I needed to check with x10Hosting because the transfer is complete.I checked in Cpanel around the Domain tools, but I did not see any thing that would help me.

Last edited:

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
It takes several days to transfer. Currently your domain is still registered through bravenet. A quick whois showed me this. Your name servers are pointed at x10. Everything seems fine. If you can access your cPanel click on Password Protect Directories and see what you have.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks it's odd that the login prompt appears to be for an oddly-located home directory?

--- Mr. DOS

I did notice that, but that isn't necessarily the actual directory that is password protected. It is the 'Realm', which usually is not a directory, but a string like "Members Only Area"

Add the fact that he had problems with setting up a WebDisk makes me wonder if the aborted WebDisk set up has something to do with it.

Last edited:

Danielx386

Reaction score
Just so you all know, I tried to help in on IRC, but we didn't really get any where. Anyone know how to do a mass file search in cpanel? There got to be a .htaccess file somewhere. Also, I wonder what the folder layout look like as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.