Domain/Registration WP Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

durbanvi

Reaction score
Hello, so our domain www.darkestedge.com is pointing correctly to our site but once you click a link to a different site page it goes back to www.darkestedge.x10.mx... I have added the nameservers on godaddy and added it as a parked domain here. What could be causing this issue?

On to question number 2: So we have installed wordpress with the buddypress plugin to develop a community around our minecraft server. Users can register but they do not receive the activation email how do I fix this?

Thanks in advance.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
1. Sounds like you have to go to the WP admin area and set the "site URL", which is used to generate links by WP

durbanvi

Reaction score
@Grim

Its stuff like that, that makes me feel dumb :p thanks homie! Shoulda known that.

Last edited:

durbanvi

Reaction score
Can anyone help on the second question. Wordpress User Resgitration?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Mail is one of those "forever" problems around here, unfortunately. There are a few things you can do to make sure it works (when it works) from your end, such as making sure that the content is plain text (HTML-formatted MIME mail is not allowed) and that the FROM header reflects an email address that actually exists and is associated with your hosting account (that is, one that you created here). Both of those restrictions are in place to reduce spam and phishing attempts; the server will silently discard HTML mails or mails with spoofed FROM headers. There can occasionally be a volume problem (it happens when you're sharing a server with a few thousand of your closest friends), occasionally the outbound queue will get stuck and needs a kick to release held mail, and every once in a while somebody does something incredibly stupid that taints the x10Hosting SMTP server's reputation, which can wind up with any mail showing signs of being routed through x10Hosting being sent straight to the spam folder, trash, or even silently discarded at the receiving end. And to be clear, this isn't a problem that's unique to x10Hosting or even to free hosting in general.

I don't know if your plugin can be configured to work with an external mail service, but if it can you might want to look at Mandrill Transactional Email. It's a freemium service, and the chances are pretty darned good that you'd fit comfortably into the free end of freemium with plenty of room to spare (12,000 emails a month ought to do for account activation and forgotten passwords, right?). And while we're on the subject, if a newsletter is in the plans, you could do a lot worse than MailChimp (which is, again, free for small sites/communities -- < 2000 subscribers and 12,000 emails/mo). I'm a bigotted and opinionated hater of WordPress, so I've never investigated the available plugins/APIs, but WP is popular enough that there's likely some kind of off-the-shelf integration available.

durbanvi

Reaction score
Thanks for the info its good to know that for future references. My question is simply about when a user registers for my wordpress community it doesn't send an activation password...Is this still related to the above issues or is that a different problem?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Related. Mail sometimes just doesn't get out of the system quickly (or at all), and sometimes even when it goes out it may be snagged at the receiving end. If it's not timely, though, it's not great for registration confirmation. I don't want to sound like I'm selling anything -- except for being a fellow user, I have no affiliation with x10 -- but the problems drop to "once in a blue moon for a few minutes at most" level if you go to a paid plan (even Illuminated), where you'd be sharing resources with a lot fewer users. The other alternative is, as I said, to use an external service that doesn't depend on your server's mail facility cooperating; you'd get to Mandrill using cUrl, and it talks back to you via an HTTP URL as well when it needs to.

Status
Not open for further replies.