Domain

colourmu

Reaction score
My domain will be de-registered soon (since I can't afford their whopping price hike). It is currently at –
colourmusic.info

Can I use my domain here as a substitute, so anyone can go there?
colourmusic.x10host.com

(It works for me, so hopefully for others...)

Eric S

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My domain will be de-registered soon (since I can't afford their whopping price hike). It is currently at –
colourmusic.info

Can I use my domain here as a substitute, so anyone can go there?
colourmusic.x10host.com

(It works for me, so hopefully for others...)
Hello,

http://colourmusic.x10host.com/ does indeed work for me currently.

Note you can always transfer your domain to a cheaper registrar. For example it would cost roughly $18.99/year to transfer and renew a .info with our premium service.

colourmu

Reaction score
Hello, Eric.
It's good to know it works for you, too. So that aspect looks OK.

You're really tempting me with your cheaper registrar. (My present one – Crazy Domains – wants $38.99/yr !?#@!!)
I suppose that's on condition of going premium, so I looked at the premium page.
The 3 year deal says FREE DOMAIN EACH YEAR. Might that include colourmusic.info, if wrested from Crazy's clutches?
Even so, that's $47.40/yr for 3 years (in expensive $US) – a whole electricity bill!

Tempt me some more...

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
i do not think the free domain names include .info.
but you can use custom/paid domains too

colourmu

Reaction score
It's hard to tell, spacresx. The Premium page says:
"All of the .com, .net, .org, and .info TLDs are only $9.95 per year."
but that is for standard registration, I presume. It does not specify if those are possible free domains, for 2 or 3 year contracts.
It's also lower than Eric's $18.99/yr (above), so I can't tell if his has an extra transfer fee in there, or not.
Nor can I find an x10hosting page with all the nitty-gritty details for Premium. Forum pages haven't revealed much either, except that 3-year contracts have to be paid up front – $US 142.20 [= $AU 185.51].

One forum post mentioned a site with a recent review –
https://www.websiteplanet.com/web-hosting/x10hosting/
Clicking a “More details” link there, next to 3-year plans, returned an x10hosting 404 page –
https://community.x10hosting.com/threads/domain.211324/
The reviewer concluded (under "Cons"):
– Unresponsive customer support (particularly from Premium sales)
– No ability to cancel your contract

(Sigh!)

Last edited:

colourmu

Reaction score
...and I think you're right, spacresx. About .info & free domain names, I mean.
Apparently Premium offers the following domain name suffixes –
.x10.mx
.x10.biz
.pcriot.com
.elementfx.com

I suppose one's individual name is a prefix, a sub-domain of one of these.

Last edited:

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
yes you can pay for names like you,com, you.ca or you.info and you.net etc..

where x10 provides these for the free accounts.
.x10.mx
.x10.biz
.pcriot.com
.elementfx.com

so when you purchase or pay for domain name you get to choose the name.
i have my own .com extension for another website that i pay for.

colourmu

Reaction score
i have my own .com extension for another website that i pay for.
So, is that for one of the free sites (or are you one of those exclusive Premium types)?
I s'pose what I'm asking is, does x10hosting act as just a domain registrar, for people with free hosting?

That would be much cheaper than signing up to Premium, just for a free domain name.
After all, mine is a strictly non-commercial site with low traffic, & free hosting works fine.
[Plus, I'm such a miser!]

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
x10 is a website host.
they provide free domain names which usually people need to access their website.

a website needs 2 elements, the host and your domain name.
some hosting companies provide a free domain name like
.x10.mx
.x10.biz
.pcriot.com
.elementfx.com
but ive seen where some hosts dont provide free domains,
and they would force people to pay for a domain name.

my free account here is a x10.bz which is a free domain name.
i also have my .com that i paid for. i just have a different host.
now if i desire i can use my .com name here to with my x10 account.
or i can just keep using the x10.bz domain name i got for free.
so yes you can just use one of the free domain names provided.

Last edited:

Eric S

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's hard to tell, spacresx. The Premium page says:
"All of the .com, .net, .org, and .info TLDs are only $9.95 per year."
but that is for standard registration, I presume. It does not specify if those are possible free domains, for 2 or 3 year contracts.
It's also lower than Eric's $18.99/yr (above), so I can't tell if his has an extra transfer fee in there, or not.
Nor can I find an x10hosting page with all the nitty-gritty details for Premium. Forum pages haven't revealed much either, except that 3-year contracts have to be paid up front – $US 142.20 [= $AU 185.51].

One forum post mentioned a site with a recent review –
https://www.websiteplanet.com/web-hosting/x10hosting/
Clicking a “More details” link there, next to 3-year plans, returned an x10hosting 404 page –
https://community.x10hosting.com/threads/domain.211324/
The reviewer concluded (under "Cons"):
– Unresponsive customer support (particularly from Premium sales)
– No ability to cancel your contract

(Sigh!)
I do apologize I have updated and removed that from our site. Our premium site is a little out-dated as we are currently in the works of getting a brand new site completed. The free domain are for .com and .net only at this time. The pricing to transfer your domain to us for .info is as stated before.

As for the reviewers "cons" I can say those are incorrect and based on these reviews all being "automated" by big companies they would not reflect our actual efforts and company.

You can cancel your contract at anytime. However, it is a pre-paid service so refunds and protations may not always apply. However, you can easily via your client section automatically cancel any reneweals.

Our support is the best in the business on premium with 24/7 and lighting fast replies.

colourmu

Reaction score
Thanks, you x10ers.
Let me clarify my position...

I'm happy to stay on the free site; it's perfectly fine. My only real problem is the tag "colourmusic.info" will expire in a month.
It seems I could just scrap it, & go with "colourmusic.x10host.com". There are a couple of problems with that –

1. It's more clumsy, less memorable (or am I being pernickety?)
2. Viewers may already have colourmusic.info bookmarked; quite a few sites have it listed in their references. I feel I ought to let them know of any change, so I've been trawling the web for mentions of my present URL.

Solutions to the conundrum –
1. Transfer colourmusic.info to a cheaper registrar, & re-link it to my x10host free account. Maybe x10host could do that. Eric, are you saying the $9.95 fee was wrong, and x10host would charge $18.99 each year? If so, is the initial transfer included in the price for the first year?
2. Go shopping for a new name (one quote for a hyphenated colour-music.info was $6.20/yr though I didn't look closely at details of the deal). I would still require to let others know, by tediously trawling the web.

Any thoughts?

P.S. Sorry about the reviewers, Eric. (They're Australians – what do you expect?) But they still gave x10hosting 4.8 out of 5 stars – up there with the best of them!

Last edited:

Eric S

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Solutions to the conundrum –
1. Transfer colourmusic.info to a cheaper registrar, & re-link it to my x10host free account. Maybe x10host could do that. Eric, are you saying the $9.95 fee was wrong, and x10host would charge $18.99 each year? If so, is the initial transfer included in the price for the first year?

Correct the 9.95 is incorrect and has been removed. The transfer does include the price for the first year. However, we are not a direct domain reseller / seller so generally you would require service to access our premium dashboard to order the domain.

Note we are working on allowing paid domain regs and transfers directly from free hosting but there is no ETA for this to be completed.