DomainKeys: underscrore in TXT record is not allowed on Adv. DNS editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arya_Senna

Reaction score
DomainKeys: underscore in TXT record is not allowed on Adv. DNS editor.

Hi,

I'm trying to set-up domainkeys TXT record for my google apps.
a quick try and a google search confirm cpanel won't allow "_" in its txt record, while it's a requirement for every domainkeys record.

My case should be similar with this one..link

I think, I could use a bit staff help to add the required record, because it seems to be doable via WHM (something like this).

Ah, and since naturally the txt record is a "key" (i.e a private one). I'd appreciate if I can tell the record details through a private channel (pm? or another possible way).

Thanks in advance, x10host FTW! :smile:

Last edited:

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to set-up domainkeys TXT record for my google apps.
a quick try and a google search confirm cpanel won't allow "_" in its txt record, while it's a requirement for every domainkeys record.

My case should be similar with this one..link

I think, I could use a bit staff help to add the required record, because it seems to be doable via WHM (something like this).

Ah, and since naturally the txt record is a "key" (i.e a private one). I'd appreciate if I can tell the record details through a private channel (pm? or another possible way).

Thanks in advance, x10host FTW! :smile:

There is another option to activate google apps, by uploading the html file. Try it.

Arya_Senna

Reaction score
There is another option to activate google apps, by uploading the html file. Try it.
Hi, thank you for your response.
I'm not trying to activate my Google apps account (i.e verifying my domain). My domain has already been verified.
I'm trying to activate the e-mail authentication features called Domainkeys.
See here for details:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DomainKeys

As per Google instructions, and AFAIK as per its official specification dictates, this feature will require certain DNS record to be added.

I'm having problem adding those record because the user version of dns editor doesn't allow "_" (underscore) in the hostname entry.
It is, however required and is a standard practice for domainkeys txt record.

I believe, it is should be able to be done in WHM.
Kindly see my previous links.

Thanks.

Last edited:

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
Did you register your domain through x10hosting?

The reason why I ask is that the instructions at google that you linked to says to go to your domain provider (which is where you registered the domain), and nothing in those instructions say anything about configuring this through your hosting account's cPanel.

Last edited:

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello.

Unfortunately, this is a limitation of cPanel. Looking at the comments from the Google Enterprise Blog (when they announced the DomainKeys feature), many cPanel web host customers are reporting underscores not working. We don't have any control over these things in cPanel since its third party software.

Example comment: http://googleenterprise.blogspot.co...howComment=1294369184600#c1488323502496846924

The only alternative method (which is how I'm doing this) I can think of is to use a third party DNS provider and point to x10hosting through an A record.

Last edited:

Arya_Senna

Reaction score
Did you register your domain through x10hosting?

The reason why I ask is that the instructions at google that you linked to says to go to your domain provider (which is where you registered the domain), and nothing in those instructions say anything about configuring this through your hosting account's cPanel.

Methink Domain Provider = server where the domain is delegated, in my case. x10hosting.
Hello.

Unfortunately, this is a limitation of cPanel. Looking at the comments from the Google Enterprise Blog (when they announced the DomainKeys feature), many cPanel web host customers are reporting underscores not working. We don't have any control over these things in cPanel since its third party software.

Example comment: http://googleenterprise.blogspot.co...howComment=1294369184600#c1488323502496846924

The only alternative method (which is how I'm doing this) I can think of is to use a third party DNS provider and point to x10hosting through an A record.

Ah finally, indeed Brian, you're right. It is the limitation of cpanel. To be exact, the user-side cpanel DNS editor.
I believe the WHM interface is capable of adding that aforementioned record without problem.

See here (again) the screenshot of TXT record, containing char "_", has been successfully added via WHM

This discussion might also interest you: a successful domainkeys setup with cpanel enviroment.
http://www.campaignmonitor.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=823

By the way, regarding sub-delegating my domain to 3rd party DNS server, I've also been thinking of doing that.
My scenario is to delegate my domain to a 3rd party as the parent dns server, then x10hosting will act a the secondary dns server.
Changes of zone record on parent server will be reflected on x10hosting server (done via AXFR)
This way all changes that can't be done via user-side cpanel interface will be able to be done on 3rd party interface.
Of course the initial setup would require another help of a staff with WHM access.

Thanks

Last edited:

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
Again, step 3 in the instructions calls it a domain registrar and gives the example of GoDaddy while instructing on how to make the txt record in the admin panel at the registrar and then save. That's why I asked if you bought your domain through x10hosting.com or not.

If you did indeed buy your domain through x10hosting.com, then I suggest logging into the client area https://clients.x10hosting.com/clientarea.php and submitting a support ticket requesting that the txt be added to the dns settings there. If you didn't buy your domain through x10hosting, then you should go to your registrar to make the request there instead.

That screenshot of success through WHM cPanel is from a domain name that has their own server, not through a free hosting company or any shared hosting companies. x10hosting has a different setup here than they do. Which is why you'd need to go to your domain registrar or use a third-party dns provider.

Arya_Senna

Reaction score
Again, step 3 in the instructions calls it a domain registrar and gives the example of GoDaddy while instructing on how to make the txt record in the admin panel at the registrar and then save. That's why I asked if you bought your domain through x10hosting.com or not.

If you did indeed buy your domain through x10hosting.com, then I suggest logging into the client area https://clients.x10hosting.com/clientarea.php and submitting a support ticket requesting that the txt be added to the dns settings there. If you didn't buy your domain through x10hosting, then you should go to your registrar to make the request there instead.

That screenshot of success through WHM cPanel is from a domain name that has their own server, not through a free hosting company or any shared hosting companies. x10hosting has a different setup here than they do. Which is why you'd need to go to your domain registrar or use a third-party dns provider.

Hello,
My domain registrar has no DNS control interface.

I believe Pointing your domain to specific nameserver means a complete delegation of your domain. Regardless of the type of hosting. (shared hosting, free hosting or whatever). That's what the dns zone editor under cpanel is used for. I can and have successfully managed various record (cname, mx, txt) with that features, and some type of record requires Help of staff with WHM privilege (e.g. SRV, and obviously the DomainKeys TXT entry.).

By the way, kindly see my first post, I gave a link to a discussion where a user in shared host talked to his/her host and successfully got the domainkeys record added.

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Escalating;

Per a staff member on IRC whose gunna do what they can to assist, open the account panel and reply to the ticket with the domain key that should be added. They'll look and see if they can get it added in by hand.

Don't panic that this will appear closed here; it'll still be possible to reply via the account panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.