Domains help!

Tyler

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Hi, im looking into buying a .com domain at godaddy.com and i was wondering how it works? does it forward it to the subdomain or somthing? and whats is the dns? Im not that good with these domains :redface: so any help would be appreciated

MtReload

Reaction score
I was wondering that myself except I bought mine at Netrillium.

Amy

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
You have two choices when you purchase a domain, you can either keep your subdomain and use an add-on domain in your cPanel or you can replace your subdomain with the domain you buy. You must put our nameservers in the DNS settings for your domain, so it would be ns1.x10hosting.com and ns2.x10hosting.com ... this tells it to look at our server for your domain. :)

-Corey

MtReload

Reaction score
Cool, that was helpful thanks! Now as soon as the domain name is ready, I'll try it.

Amy

Tyler

Retired Staff
Reaction score
ok, so how do i keep it as an addon domain and still use the .com domain

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
In your cPanel there is an add-on domain icon.. pick that and fill out the information, it will create a subdomain off of your current subdomain and that will be the root directory for your add-on domain.

-Corey

N

nanbread

Just a thought, I suggest namecheap for registering domains. Dns changes take only a few hours for me with them.

Conor

Reaction score
nanbread said:
Just a thought, I suggest namecheap for registering domains. Dns changes take only a few hours for me with them.
It differs everytime. I know domains that have resolved in hours and I know domains that have resolved in more than 3 days.

chip

Reaction score
This question may have already been answered, but this may be of use to you.

When you purchase a domain, you have the option to forward it, or change the dns servers. If you forward it, your basicly keeping your same address (_______.x10hosting.com) But it will show up as (www.________.com) If you choose the option "Framed Forward" THis means it will show your domain, instead of showing your long address. But if you choose " Change the DNS " . You will be hosting your website on x10hosting, (by entering their name servers) You will have the www._________.com all the time, instead of your longer URL.

That might have been confusing, but i just 'bought explained it all for ya =) :innocent: :hug: