DotA-Defend Of The Ancient

calvinwc

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Anyone of you all played DotA? This game is cool! I love it.
Anyone have some DotA strategies or skill can share? I would love to know it!
Or guides on heros' items

Slothie

Reaction score
Its defense of the Ancients.

6 ironwood branches FTW

sleepingferret

Reaction score
oh noes..... DotA has invaded the sacred sanctuary of x10.... everyone RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!!

- signed one seriously sick of seeing DotA game spam on battle.net custom map warcraft III player

Avalanche

Reaction score
Ironwood branches actually CAN be a good tactic under specific circumstances :)

Stryke

Reaction score
DotA used to be fun, but when WoW came out it just died for me. I remember my most pwnage characters as the Lightning rev and Lich.

calvinwc

Reaction score
Hmm, i didn't tried buying ironwood tree branch first in early game. I think i should give a try ;D

Sup3rkirby

Reaction score
This game looks(and seems) a lot like WoW. Looking at Stryke's post, this was out first though. If so, then i must applaude the makers as it seems they had a great idea.

I've play WoW a bit, but never got too much into it. Is this game worth the time(download, registration, playing)? I might give it a try. How are the recommended req?

[EDIT]
:redface: Don't I feel stupid now. Ok, so after actually taking effort to look at what it was all about(after having trouble finding this on that site), I realized that DotA is a WC III mod. So yes, it does look like an earlier version of WoW. I will say that it was hard to find out anything on that site. I had to finally check the FAQ(the solution to problems around the world) and saw what exactly it was.

Guess I won't be playing really. Well, best of luck to you all. I'll just play WoW...

Last edited:

ethraax

Reaction score
I've played many, many WCIII mods (I think my "downloaded" folder had six hundred maps in it before I had to separate them by type, because it took so long to load when hosting!). I can also honestly say, DotA is not among my favorites.

The game is almost all about items... items over skill. You sit there, wait for a mob to be at 2 health, then make sure you get the kill so you get money, and thus items to kill things faster.

You should try Enfos (Enfo's Team Survival). It's a great game where mobs come from the top and walk down, around you point, then in it. You can only leak a max of 100 mobs. You have offensive spells to use on your enemies (yes, you can even one-shot some really bad players on the other team) or on the mobs you're attacking. It is also very loosely item-based, at least for casters. All you do after maxing your inventory with some items and potions is buy tomes, and there are so many mobs you can't really "steal" kills very well, especially at the end.

There are so many better games than DotA out there.. you should really just jump into tons of random maps you've never heard before.

manzoor

Reaction score
Hey I'm a Dota Player xD

I Pwn newbies with Lich, Silencer, Razor etc I like ranged heroes, some melee heroes xD

@Sup3rkirby: Yeah its a good game worth the time :)

@calvinwc: go to dotaportal.com or dota-allstars.com, there you'll find all the strategies, guides, replays etc.

Lurien

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of it, but I've played it and I can say it's a lot of fun when you LAN it with your friends so you can share a good laugh...other than that....I liked 3 corridors best :p (I've not played it in years tho...or Warcraft for the matter).
It has some serious balance issues though (like the spider, or the guy with backtrack).

Edit: Kirby, we seriously need a "Fossil oil and globeal heating FAQ" :)

Last edited:

manzoor

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of it, but I've played it and I can say it's a lot of fun when you LAN it with your friends so you can share a good laugh...other than that....I liked 3 corridors best :p (I've not played it in years tho...or Warcraft for the matter).
It has some serious balance issues though (like the spider, or the guy with backtrack).

Edit: Kirby, we seriously need a "Fossil oil and globeal heating FAQ" :)

Everything (or most) have been balanced since you haven't played it for years, Check out the new map at the site.

Icefrog is trying to balance all the issues.

BTW If you want to counter the spider, just buy a Gem, which will provide you True Sight so you can see the spider

Slothie

Reaction score
Its not about skill? So last hitting creeps and knowing how to combo skills aren't skills. o.o

Lurien

Reaction score
Mmmm
I don't cosider those skills, sorry, I consider them knowledges.
About the spider, you get killed, you drop it x.x
And what about the guy who stops time and the one with invincibility? >.<
Not trying to disregard the game, it's just my personal opinion, it's a game for the masses and is good at it.

Slothie

Reaction score
Everyone knows how to do it, doesn't mean everyone can.

ethraax

Reaction score
You know what's a fun wc3 game, better than DotA, at least for the short term?

SNOWBALL FIGHT.

Go look it up on epicwar.com

moncheeyuson

Reaction score
DotA DotA DotA!!! I'm already addicted to the game... I mean, the map... Just wanted to know, "Who's IceFrog?"