down time, mail rejection, throttling, whats not to like about x10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieselbusparts

Reaction score
X10 used to be a great free host, but once they stepped into the commercial market it seems the service has turned against us, now all of the resources are going to the paid hosting and us freeloaders can just wait in line for scraps!

Why not offer great hosting to everyone just less space for free and more for paid?

First off x10 mail server is blocked, due to spamming by a large number of mail exchanges (3 of my customers lost forever!) due to x10 credibility issues.

Second several of my customers got a dead link when they went to my lotus.x10 site I could see it just fine in ABQ, NM, but not in Illinois?

Third, well we have all experienced there s l o w s e r v e r s!

My business is back on go daddy 6.95 per month and unlimited hosting plus $50.00 adwords on Bing, 25.00 on google and 50.00 on face book for FREE!
And 1.99 .coms .87 .info.

They also have a 4.95 deal too with the same swag!

What is x10 offering for the same money? uh, more bandwidth, more space, but the same "great (blocked) servers" and the same down time?

I would have gladly kept my web site on x10 and paid them for hosting but, I have a real problem paying x10 when there servers have sooo many problems, including the ones listed above.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
X10 used to be a great free host, but once they stepped into the commercial market it seems the service has turned against us, now all of the resources are going to the paid hosting and us freeloaders can just wait in line for scraps!

Why not offer great hosting to everyone just less space for free and more for paid?

First off x10 mail server is blocked, due to spamming by a large number of mail exchanges (3 of my customers lost forever!) due to x10 credibility issues.

Second several of my customers got a dead link when they went to my lotus.x10 site I could see it just fine in ABQ, NM, but not in Illinois?

Third, well we have all experienced there s l o w s e r v e r s!

My business is back on go daddy 6.95 per month and unlimited hosting plus $50.00 adwords on Bing, 25.00 on google and 50.00 on face book for FREE!
And 1.99 .coms .87 .info.

They also have a 4.95 deal too with the same swag!

What is x10 offering for the same money? uh, more bandwidth, more space, but the same "great (blocked) servers" and the same down time?

I would have gladly kept my web site on x10 and paid them for hosting but, I have a real problem paying x10 when there servers have sooo many problems, including the ones listed above.

Our paid service is completely separate from our free service, including servers, setup, and rules.

Free servers are all at 98% uptime for the past month. There is nothing we can do about the mail issues on free hosting, people spam, we catch them fairly quick but it's enough to cause blacklistings.

I'm sorry but comparing a free service to any paid service is ridiculous, and I know for a fact our paid service is way better than GoDaddy's as we have plenty of customers that have moved from them ;)

--Edit--
Had to edit this, I have no idea why people would run a business where they are making money or have a potential to lose money on any free service. While we try our best to keep everything running perfectly you can just pay a little to have the guaranteed uptime, support, etc... It makes no sense to me when I see posts like this that say it's our fault you lost customers, if you need the guaranteed uptime pay $4.95... for any business that has customers it should be pocket change.

-Corey

Last edited:

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I agree with Corey. Beggars can't be choosers. You really have no right to complain about a free service.

dieselbusparts

Reaction score
Paid service is completely separate from free, including servers.

Free servers are all at 98% uptime for the past month. There is nothing we can do about the mail issues on free hosting, people spam, we catch them fairly quick but it's enough to cause blacklistings.

I'm sorry but comparing a free service to any paid service is ridiculous, and I know for a fact our paid service is way better than GoDaddy's as we have plenty of customers that have moved from them ;)

-Corey
Hey Corey,
There is NO difference between a free and a paid hosting option except the bill!
Oh and maybe two lines in the http.conf file and throttling/limit settings for the free server.

Why not limit space but, keep a high quality of service for all, this way you can demonstrate what you are saying, I have difficulty believing that email would be any better or downtime would be any less with your paid server due to the way the free server is managed.
I'm not trying to tell you how to do anything or what you should be doing, but sometime you have to walk the talk and that is what a free anything should always represent, otherwise it's just a hobby or a waste of a perfectly good marketing strategy.

I understand how difficult it is to deal with such a large volume of clients all having something to say and how quickly an issue can propigate within a server, that is why I seek hosting instead of hosting myself.

By the way Corey,I'm not trying to piss you off, I'm venting because I was pissed off, but I'm over that and will try x10 again with a site that doesn't pay my bills.
Edit:
I agree with Corey. Beggars can't be choosers. You really have no right to complain about a free service.
Calling a person a "Beggar" is silly when the service is offered for free, I didn't beg anyone for anything most free things are put out to be used as a demo for the paid thing, and I retain all of my rights to complain or in this case rant.

I didn't think that email would be rejected and by the way I use gmail and mail.com and yahoo for email without paying or ever having email rejected or returned because they have been blocked for spamming, though I'm sure they have there fair share of spammers that have been blacklisted, but they have made things work out ok, they also seem to be able to make it without the need to offer less to there free users perhaps Google should charge to use there email or there search service so we would no longer be BEGGARS!

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Corey,
There is NO difference between a free and a paid hosting option except the bill!
Oh and maybe two lines in the http.conf file and throttling/limit settings for the free server.

Why not limit space but, keep a high quality of service for all, this way you can demonstrate what you are saying, I have difficulty believing that email would be any better or downtime would be any less with your paid server due to the way the free server is managed.
I'm not trying to tell you how to do anything or what you should be doing, but sometime you have to walk the talk and that is what a free anything should always represent, otherwise it's just a hobby or a waste of a perfectly good marketing strategy.

I understand how difficult it is to deal with such a large volume of clients all having something to say and how quickly an issue can propigate within a server, that is why I seek hosting instead of hosting myself.

By the way Corey,I'm not trying to piss you off, I'm venting because I was pissed off, but I'm over that and will try x10 again with a site that doesn't pay my bills.
Edit:

Calling a person a "Beggar" is silly when the service is offered for free, I didn't beg anyone for anything most free things are put out to be used as a demo for the paid thing, and I retain all of my rights to complain or in this case rant.

I didn't think that email would be rejected and by the way I use gmail and mail.com and yahoo for email without paying or ever having email rejected or returned because they have been blocked for spamming, though I'm sure they have there fair share of spammers that have been blacklisted, but they have made things work out ok, they also seem to be able to make it without the need to offer less to there free users perhaps Google should charge to use there email or there search service so we would no longer be BEGGARS!

I'm sorry, I couldn't get all the way through your post because of the ignorance in it. You have no idea how we run anything and thus should keep your assumptions to yourself. You are welcome to open your own free host and then report back to me after a year on apparently how easy it is to run.

Once again, it is ridiculous of you to compare free hosting to paid hosting, and it's ridiculous of you to assume anything about our paid services when you have never used them. Good luck at GoDaddy, we'll see you in a few months.

-Corey

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

It was a figure of speech, basically saying if you're not paying for something, why complain? They don't have to listen to you. Just the same as a beggar, you want change but if you get a penny you can't say "Ugh.. I want the quarter" and throw the penny at them. (You could technically do that, but would you?)

Mail.com, Yahoo.com, etc are very large corporations. Of course there won't be problems with email from a huge business when they control a very large portion of emails.

Good luck at GoDaddy, we'll see you in a few months.
Well said :).

dieselbusparts

Reaction score
Wow, I had no idea that you would stoop to name calling and hosting hubris is something I would have expected from a more corporate entity.
Apparently assuming that my complaints would have rallied a resolve of the problem is something that you just can't do, whether it be lack of knowledge or just a failure to correct a well known and correctable problem, I don't know.
If this is a strategy to detour people away from your free hosting then it has worked and you are a success!:biggrin:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have the time or desire to debate with people who think they know everything. Good luck with GoDaddy, you deserve each other :)

ramboman88

Reaction score
As for google offering emails for free, they do make money from ads, even if their mail service actually costs them money, it should be well worth the publicity. Someone who uses gmail is more likely to use their other services.

As for the quality of service here, I agree with what has been stated about commercial sites.

From a purely business standpoint, a free service shouldn't have too much quality since everyone is then gonna want to freeload. (not that I'm not freeloading :biggrin:)

This is not a problem for a programmer who decides to make a piece of freeware, it could distributed freely at a filehost that specializes in such stuff... but a service usually costs money, and the more people use it the more it costs.

I don't want to sound rude, and if a moderator doesn't like what I'm about to say then please censor me:

If someone clearly denotes a lack of willingness to actually pay for a service they need to make money, and uses a free version, then complains of the quality and would like most of the same features as paying customers, then they clearly aren't the type of person the service would like to attract.

Note, I have not mentioned names ;)

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
If he was really going to leave, he would have said what he was going to say and leave. Notice he (or she) replied a few times. :)

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't want to sound rude, and if a moderator doesn't like what I'm about to say then please censor me:

If someone clearly denotes a lack of willingness to actually pay for a service they need to make money, and uses a free version, then complains of the quality and would like most of the same features as paying customers, then they clearly aren't the type of person the service would like to attract.

Note, I have not mentioned names ;)

Why would an x10 mod censor you?

http://forums.x10hosting.com/news-announcements/28666-if-you-dont-like-leave.html

Corey said the same thing but much more bluntly 2 years ago :)

nandifamily

Reaction score
The creator of this thread are talking nonsense. I have hosted my site for quite a long time have and have not faced any major problems. And x10's paid services are run separately. X10 rocks!

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
You really have no right to complain about a free service.
... Yes you do. The service provider also has the right to tell you where to shove it, but y'know... You do have the right to complain.
You don't have the right to complain about nothing, however. If you (referring to anyone, here, not a single person) has done something stupid leading to suspension/termination... Well, you should have read the rules properly. Complain all you want, but don't be surprised if you get no sympathy for your account being terminated due to it hosting cracked software, for example.

Rant over, good day, sirs.

Last edited:

Fedlerner

Former Adm & Team Manager
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm going to close this thread as there's no good intentions on this thread, and it's not leading anywhere.
The "Feedback & Suggestions" section, should be a section where members post what they think that x10hosting should improve, add, or change, but always in a good way, and not with bad intentions.
You're also mention another host, which isn't allowed.

http://forums.x10hosting.com/news-announcements/28666-if-you-dont-like-leave.html

EDIT: I want to add something. We always are looking for the best solutions to keep our members happy. We're constantly working & adding stuff to both free & paid hosting. x10hosting offers a service that I can assure you that any other free hosting does. With many different plans to adjust your needs, with script installers, with website builders, with an excellent backup tool where you can restore your files with just some clicks, and many other great things. x10hosting is always looking for the best for their members. We give free hosting support, which many other free hosting doesn't. We have an active forum community with lots of members that are always willing to help the new ones or the ones having problems (which we're really grateful of). We are always hearing suggestions, but only if they came in a good way. We've implemented many things that our members have suggested. I'll stop here as I don't want to make this longer.. But please think before creating a thread which you know you're doing it with no good intentions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.