DOWNTIME AGAIN!? What about paid??

Status
Not open for further replies.

collegel

Reaction score
Okay, my site has been going down consistently for a while. I am in preliminary release stages of a large website, and I have an instant start up traffic guarantee of 1000 unique visitors a day. This hosting isn't going to keep those people. So tell me this. . .HAS ANYONE TRIED THEIR PAID HOSTING, AND IF SO, IS IT RELIABLE??

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I've spoken to many happy paid members. Paid is 99% guaranteed uptime. If your website is important, which it sounds like yours is, I would think paid would be the only way to go.

Last edited:

lionking

Reaction score
Well I would never invest in a website which is this careless. If they are providing a free service it should be of at least a decent quality. In one year I have had several downtimes sometimes they accept that they messed up something and still don't prioritize the issue. Currently my website has been down for a week and I have raised a ticket of Critical level and no one has even bothered to reply back in 6 days. Last time I was informed they 'lost' my ticket.. I am really sorry that I choose this service provider.. I think you should look for a more reliable provider.
Edit:
The server status for six of their servers: This should give you a fair idea :nuts::rant2:

1. Absolut.x10
3. Cossacks.x10
4. Ciroc.x10
5. Lotus.x10
6. Skyy.x10
7. Stoli.x10

HTTP Offline FTP Offline S-FTP Offline cPanel Offline S-cPanel Offline POP3 Offline S-POP3 Offline SMTP Offline SSH Offline

Last edited:

Picard1595

Reaction score
Ok, really x10hosting has few staff to deal with these problems. You have to realize that many of these problems can only be resolved from the datacenter they use. So if someone at the datacenter can't help them they have to wait for support on their hosting boxes. Not to mention this site gets SO MANY USERS that victimize there free servers its hard to keep under control especially with the volume they get per day and the limited and not to mention volunteer staff that is here to deal with such issues. I pay for 2 paid hosting accounts here and I can say they are never down, speedy, and non-problematic. Also the support is great for paid hosting. The funny thing is that so few of you actually realize that most people seem to be fine with x10 because they are far more people using x10hosting without a problem then complaining about it.

smc42190

Reaction score
It's very kind of x10hosting to offer free hosting with so much. SQL servers, SSI, the nice CPanel, no ads. But it's sort of like having a chocolate stand and saying "you can either pay for chocolate, or I'll give it to you for free" and then, when people get it for free, you continuously take it away and then give it back to them. I do understand that it takes people to keep a server going, but I'm hardly exaggerating (though I do admit that I am slightly) when I say that my free x10hosting site is down more often than it is up on the Cossacks server.

It gets to be annoying. However, I've never run a server before and don't claim to be an expert, so I'll leave it to those who know and say, thank you for the free hosting, it would be nice if it was stable, but until I find a stable host, I'll be here, I suppose.

Last edited:

collegel

Reaction score
Picard,

Thank you! Your response has been most helpful. I will be purchasing paid tonight, then. I definitely am not complaining about their free hosting. Gosh! It has cPanel! I have a vast experience in IT, including server management. Free cPanel hosting is incredibly good and rare to find, so it's great they offer it. But yeah, I will purchase paid hosting tonight. Between now and then, can anyone tell me:

Is the transition to paid from free smooth without data loss?

And is there a plan you recommend for moderate media on a website? (fast, reliable, etc)

Thanks!

Russ

<b>Retired *****</b>
Reaction score
We do understand and know of the issues with freehosting at the moment, and I too admit, I would be upset by it. We are working on fixing the issues. And, for the other part of this. Our paid hosting members have no problems, the servers are well maintained and that is our primary focus over freehosting. I assure you'll enjoy the paid hosting you get from us.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
The server status for six of their servers: This should give you a fair idea :nuts::rant2:

1. Absolut.x10
3. Cossacks.x10
4. Ciroc.x10
5. Lotus.x10
6. Skyy.x10
7. Stoli.x10

HTTP Offline FTP Offline S-FTP Offline cPanel Offline S-cPanel Offline POP3 Offline S-POP3 Offline SMTP Offline SSH Offline

Two things, one I'm gunna vouch for paid hosting here, 100% uptime so far this month from my own monitoring system.

Secondly, Lionking, you need to READ THE REPLIES TO YOUR OWN TOPICS.

that is the old server status..... the new one is here:

http://x10staff.co.cc/status/

Please get it right before you attempt to flame.

You're using an outdated service status script which is checking the servers at the WRONG datacenter. Go figure they're all offline when it's not even checking the right servers.

Picard1595

Reaction score
Picard,

Thank you! Your response has been most helpful. I will be purchasing paid tonight, then. I definitely am not complaining about their free hosting. Gosh! It has cPanel! I have a vast experience in IT, including server management. Free cPanel hosting is incredibly good and rare to find, so it's great they offer it. But yeah, I will purchase paid hosting tonight. Between now and then, can anyone tell me:

Is the transition to paid from free smooth without data loss?

And is there a plan you recommend for moderate media on a website? (fast, reliable, etc)

Thanks!

Yep very easy, simple and pain free. No data loss, also if you any any problems you can submit an ticket and it will be resolved easily.

togmkn

Reaction score
Ah, well that's good to hear about the paid hosting reliability. I was planning on setting up my site on a free account, then upgrading to paid and possibly a VPS after that. However, the 50% uptime (and incredibly slow speed) made me very nervous.

Anyone have any experience with the VPS service?

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I've heard good and bad things with the VPS service.

Oddly enough they're the same thing - you've got total control over the configuration. So if you've no idea what you're doing, you're up a creek in a stone canoe with a paper paddle, and you're girlfriend's about to dump you for another guy at the restaurant you're late to get to.

That being said if you know what you're doing with apache/mysql/everything else, it's golden :)

If you don't stick with paid hosting, no configuration to mess with (if you've already got a free account, x10 migrates it to paid but keeps the free account around until you get a chance to verify it all migrated over properly) :)

togmkn

Reaction score
Heh, thanks for the heads up. I was kinda wondering about that. If it has cPanel, how much Linux...ing would be needed?

Picard1595

Reaction score
I would just stick with the paid unless your website is going to be extremely large. If that is the case get a VPS from a tier 1 service like Savvis.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I've talked to one VPS user, who seemed very happy with it, but unless you are pretty handy with the OS, it is very difficult to get it to do anything at all :p

I thought I saw somewhere Corey wanted a Windows VPS, but I could be wrong. Even still, I think IIS << Apache.

swapcool

Reaction score
I am on Cossacks and oflate I ahev been experiencing lot of down time. Atleast 2-3 time a day site is down.

Previously apart from the maintenance time site always used to be up.

Status
Not open for further replies.