Dreamweaver CS5

brian setzer

Reaction score
Is Adobe CS5 worth my time in learning to use. It is the program we used in school once but we only used common and simply features and it was CS3. I am wanting to learn to make websites and would like to know a good program to learn. I am sure everybody has their own preference. Just wanted some comments on CS5. Also how far should i go in upgrading my computer, size of processor ?, how much memory ? one or two graphic cards ? and so on. Thanks for any help

moufoo78

Reaction score
If you are willing to learn how to create a website you first need to learn html and css.
Dreamweaver may seem great but by starting with it you might make a lot of mistakes.

You should first find tutorials on the web (sorry but I don't know any good links as I am french and thus learning on a french website).

To develop a good site you need to know your basics so simply start with notepad++ giving you only basic code coloring and browser preview (only for html and css). This will allow you to make basic but good looking sites.

If you are willing to go further you will also need to learn PHP and SQL. This is a lot harder and you will need Xampp to emulate a server. (PM me if you need help with it).

Learning html and css is quite easy. But if you need a nice website try Wordpress you just need to upload it on your server and let yourself be guided.

As for the computer a simple laptop will do.

Last edited:

FrozenTime

Reaction score
I literally spent a whole semester in a class learning how to use Dreamweaver CS5 in a class. In my honest opinion, it's not worth it... The only feature that I found helpful was the Code and Design Split View, where you can edit the code and see what happens on the other side pretty easily (though refresh works just as well...). Other than that, it's really only useful for making simple, poorly designed sites if you don't know HTML / CSS. WYSIWYG programs like Dreamweaver really are bad for people starting out because they make messy coding, and for people starting out, they tend to grow dependent on them. Learn using Notepad first (it's free and extremely effective). Then if you want, use Dreamweaver as a tool to help speed up the process of coding (though I still code nearly as fast on Notepad). And as moufoo said, it'll word on a simple laptop (though on the school's Windows XP computers, it took a while to get the program started up).

Jennacide

Reaction score
Honestly, I have DW CS3 and well... if it's not broke why fix it? There just isn't reason enough for me to upgrade, cs3 does its job and does it well... *shrug* I dunno, I guess it's a personal choice really.

jsnforum

Reaction score
Hi, If you would like to learn on building websites- based on my personal experience- I think it's better to start learning html first then css. You shouldn't rely on wysiwyg applications though in my humble opinion since relying on these might give you some headache on tracing and fixing via the source code. :D

Hope you got what I'm trying to say though...
Anyways, I started learning here... W3Schools

khopcraft77

Reaction score
If you know your programming of the web well, then this tool just makes your work much MUCH faster. Otherwise, don't get it until you have practiced a lot. It will make crap out of a noob, and pro out of experience.
Of course some people might disagree.

frankfriend

Reaction score
I entirely agree. Starting with html, using e.g. Notepad to write code, then testing it live, is a great way to learn. JSNFORUM's recommendatrion of W3Schools is excellent.

A good way to learn can be to look simple sites, and view the source code. This can be overwhelming, so if you just get loads of unformatted solid lines of code, just look at a different site.

Another good idea is to get a basic book on html out of a library or buy one, and work though it. Some of the Illustrated books are great - Look for Teach Yourself Visually HTML & CSS by Mike Wooldridge. It looks elementary, buit it is pretty solid.

sankalpgarud98

Reaction score
hi mate, if you want to learn a software to make website, dreamweaver is probably the best contender.
Your processor should atleast have 2 cores and 2gb of ram is preferable. However if you could get a quad core, that should be enough. If you plan to use photoshop and other adobe softwares as well, then they tend to take up and utilize more resources. In such a case, you may want to check a list of supported graphic cards. Dreamweaver by itself just needs some decent RAM, however PS,flash,illustrator also need a decent graphic card...
Hope you find it useful,
cheers

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Wen all is said and done, Dreamweaver is an expensive option unless you're building sites for a living. (We may acknowledge the existence of warez in these parts, but we don't encourage their use or distribution.) At $400 (full; upgrades usually run around half-price) it's a big bite out of the wallet, even if you aren't springing for the whole Creative Suite.

That being said, DW is an excellent professional tool. And it's an execrable n00b tool. The problem with DW -- a problem that it shares with all WYSIWYG editors -- is that it can insulate the developer/designer from the underlying code (HTML/XHTML) completely if you let it. Why is that bad? Well, contrary to what a lot of people think, it's not enough that your web pages look good and are functional -- they also need to mean what they say. That is, your headings need to be headings (and not just words in a different font, size, weight or colour), your emphasized text needs to have emphasis or strong emphasis, not just be words in italics or bold, etc. As long as you are aware of the structure of the page, you can do it right in something like DW. If you don't have a clue, you can build something that looks like a good web page, but that some people (mostly the disabled) and all machines (like search engines) are going to have trouble reading.

Frankly, I don't find Dreamweaver to be much help in my work -- but then I've been working with HTML since before it had a version number (and SGML before that), so I've had a long, slow, gradual introduction to the ever-increasing feature set over a period of time longer than a lot of young web devs have lived. And because I'm disabled, I'm a little more sensitive to accessibility issues than most developers are, so I pay a lot more attention to those niggling little details in the raw code (proper tagging, attributes that help with screen reading and keyboard navigation, etc.). I can work with any decent text editor, but since there's usually some server-side code (and because I'm fundamentally lazy and appreciate things like code completion and automatic tag closing) I find a good IDE (integrated development environment) worth its weight in gold. DW's code view is good in this regard, but (again) it's $400, while things like NetBeans, EclipsePHP and Aptana Studio are $0. I might have forgotten to mention that I'm, well... frugal would be one way of saying it.

So... Dreamweaver good -- especially if you plan on doing web design professionally. The latest version (or, at most, one back) will let you jump into any studio's workflow quickly if you're looking to work in the industry. If you're doing it on your own, though, and are not making money at it OR if you're developing sites that have significant dynamic content, then there are a lot of practical and economical alternatives that are only marginally harder to use initially (HTML isn't really that hard to wrap your head around) and likely to result in tighter code that is more accessible, more usable, and better for organic SEO.

Last edited:

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Moved to Computers and Technology.

Darkmere

Reaction score
If you have 5 you will want 5.5 see the .5 means it is not a full version it is an update version to fix bugs and or to add some features. That would be the same as Having Windows V7.3 and asking if it is worth your time to update to 7.8 lol

khopcraft77

Reaction score
If you have 5 you will want 5.5 see the .5 means it is not a full version it is an update version to fix bugs and or to add some features. That would be the same as Having Windows V7.3 and asking if it is worth your time to update to 7.8 lol

Difference being they are asking for money for the update.