Dreamweaver vs Notepad?

shcKr-

Reaction score
i guess it depends on how advanced you are with coding, and if you enjoy it, if you are advanced and enjoy coding then i see no reason why you cant make do with notepad, i dont see many advantages from that perspective, but if you are new to coding, i think you would benifit with dreamweaver with the way it colours strings of code and the design view..

ovensuk

Reaction score
I would agree with all the points made on this thread.

DW type programs automate time consuming tasks without having to explicitly learn how to do them, and then looking at the code within the interface is instructive in case you need to tinker. However, a few of the latest posts make good points that there are dozens of suitable tools that are freely available.

Personally, I like JEdit as a text editor type program, which has lots of useful plug-ins such as debuggers.

I have never used DW in my life, but in terms of IDE's (integrated development environments) I sometimes use nvu which is free & open-source. It is certainly comparable in my limited knowledge to MS Expression Web, so would recommend.

Regards

skydog

Reaction score
Well, wysiwyg editors are not the way to learn web developing for sure. You better get a couple of good books and a free text editor like HTMLKit or PSPad.
In case you're not up to such commitment, you may as well hire someone to create pages and style if you got designs already. It's not that hard now. Get some freelancers from freelance sites.
I'm a front end developer myself and I do freelance from time to time, so if you need anything done let me know.

Afterburn

Reaction score
Programs like Dreamweaver, Frontpage, Microsoft Expressions are mostly made for two type of people.

One of those are who don't know anything of HTML coding and want something easily.

The other person are those who know HTML VERY well and just want something less time consuming, if anything needs to be retouched they look at the coding and fix it through there. I mostly do this, I don't have enough patience to code everything by hand, gets kinda boring after a while.

Not everything can be done with these programs, so hand made coding is what it takes.

Its not how you make your website, its how your website looks and works when made.

- My Web Design Teacher [Fullerton College, CA]

Last edited:

gnutellapoky

Reaction score
Dreamweaver is indeed powerful and in the hands of a pro can cut time and money. But take note...I said "in the hands of a pro". Meaning you will only achieve the promise of ease and speed when you know how to manipulate the program. Output is only as good as the input

If your company wants to do in-house web development, it's a good idea to invest in Adobe's Web Premium suite (Dw, Ps, Fl, Ai , Fw). I would not buy dreamweaver as a stand alone program...just do the math. Besides as everybody had already pointed out, there are a lot of free, open source programs out there that would fit the bill. I can live without DW but because I have it (I bought the entire suite) I use it. Otherwise, I can be equally capable with just a text editor (notepad++ is great) and the Firebug and Web Development Toolbar add-ons to Firefox (a must if you're a web developer). Best of all they're free.

And finally...a bank's web interface(?) is something you won't want to play around with...so I'd hire a pro.

hexusff

Reaction score
I use a lot of Dreamweaver and the new CS4 is simply amazing ....

If your concern is your budget maybe you should look for some open source tools, I like Quanta+ for linux.

And there's NetBeans, in it's 6.5 version PHP is supported and has some pretty functions like subversion support, code completion, etc.

As Trixter said, you should look for your main market.

Another way to go is outsource the coding, some 3th world countries have great talents very cheap, Of course there are some risks in doing this.

zacheri

Reaction score
Thanks. We're not really talking here of a banks web interface... Its a website for Consumers of financial products... Tips to save, to budget and also info on financial products and services... The confidential area that needs to be secured only is the complaints part where we will be receiving complaints from the public... This website is intended for Consumers... Its like the MoneySense of Singapore. However in our case, it will be pioneered by us, the Central Bank of our country :)

Dreamweaver is indeed powerful and in the hands of a pro can cut time and money. But take note...I said "in the hands of a pro". Meaning you will only achieve the promise of ease and speed when you know how to manipulate the program. Output is only as good as the input

If your company wants to do in-house web development, it's a good idea to invest in Adobe's Web Premium suite (Dw, Ps, Fl, Ai , Fw). I would not buy dreamweaver as a stand alone program...just do the math. Besides as everybody had already pointed out, there are a lot of free, open source programs out there that would fit the bill. I can live without DW but because I have it (I bought the entire suite) I use it. Otherwise, I can be equally capable with just a text editor (notepad++ is great) and the Firebug and Web Development Toolbar add-ons to Firefox (a must if you're a web developer). Best of all they're free.

And finally...a bank's web interface(?) is something you won't want to play around with...so I'd hire a pro.

trucki

Reaction score
Dreamweaver is the best ever
you can use it for Java php js html,....

xPlozion

Reaction score
You should look into using php as well for that, if you haven't considered it already. PHP is something that takes time to learn and master, and for a site of this magnatude, due to security concerns with poorly written code, it should not be left in the hands of an amateur. If you need anyone to program the php side of it, I would be more than happy to work for you.

I have had several years of php experience, both writing custom code from scratch, and debugging other peoples code. Everything that I program is designed to prevent any sort of hijacking or gaining access to unauthorized access. I am also quite knowledgeable about mod_rewrite and the rewrite rules, as I use them quite extensively on my site.

btw, all of this w/out dreamweaver, I dropped dw years ago in favor of cleaner code :p

P.S. you can PM me if you would like more information.

-xP

Thanks. We're not really talking here of a banks web interface... Its a website for Consumers of financial products... Tips to save, to budget and also info on financial products and services... The confidential area that needs to be secured only is the complaints part where we will be receiving complaints from the public... This website is intended for Consumers... Its like the MoneySense of Singapore. However in our case, it will be pioneered by us, the Central Bank of our country :)

Last edited:

MarioMaster

Reaction score
I use a freeware editor called KompoZer. I've tried to hand-code a website in TextEdit (Mac version of Notepad), but I always leave out some closing tags or something like that. Besides, KompoZer also has CaScadeS built right into it, so it can code up my stylesheets for me too. I would use Dreamweaver CS4 if I could get my hands on a copy of it, but I'm only 13, so I don't have the money, and I refuse to take my chances against the law using bit torrents, warez, and cracks (there are people who've gone to jail for using those kinds of things).

bigtree

Reaction score
Dreamweaver sucks, in my opinion, unless you are only using the coding part, in which case you might as well use Notepad. Personally, I think Dreamweaver is a cheap and stupid way to make your website.

Pi606

Reaction score
I use Visual Web Developer 2008 (free) for JS, CSS, and HTML. The only problem is that it does not syntax highlight for PHP, and has no debugger for PHP. It has extremely good support for ASP.NET, however, but that doesn't work very well on x10's servers. For PHP, I either use VWD (without syntax highlighting) or Notepad++. Apart from PHP, VWD can solve almost all your web design needs. (I think its even got a built in FTP, though I prefer FileZilla)

Last edited:

bigtree

Reaction score
I use Visual Web Developer 2008 (free) for JS, CSS, and HTML. The only problem is that it does not syntax highlight for PHP, and has no debugger for PHP. It has extremely good support for ASP.NET, however, but that doesn't work very well on x10's servers. For PHP, I either use VWD (without syntax highlighting) or Notepad++. Apart from PHP, VWD can solve almost all your web design needs. (I think its even got a built in FTP, though I prefer FileZilla)

I agree - VWD08 is amazing!

cursedpsp

Reaction score
The only downside to notepad is that it doesnt have syntax hilighting.

WHERE notepad++ does and it supports almost every language. And its free, if you are rubbish at HTML then i'd go for the Dreamweaver - but you dont have as much control over the design in dreamweaver as you would in code.

At the moment though i am using phpDesigner 2007 Pro, it is just immense how good it is, i got it from my uncle, so i didnt pay for it but he did.

Yeah dont use notpad, use notepad ++
Edit:
I agree - VWD08 is amazing!

WVD is the WORST WYSIWYG and code editor ever, it has a complicated interface and ASP.net barely has few options for c# and basic.

Last edited:

Jesse

Reaction score
I use Dreamweaver... though i also use Notepad++

Their both great :)

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
nano or dreamweaver... there is no notepad!