Drupal's "HTTP request status" Fails, What can I do?

achilleasgr

Prime Account
Reaction score
Hello, I recently successfully installed Drupal 7.4 on my site. However on the status report I get the message
Your system or network configuration does not allow Drupal to access web pages, resulting in reduced functionality. This could be due to your webserver configuration or PHP settings, and should be resolved in order to download information about available updates, fetch aggregator feeds, sign in via OpenID, or use other network-dependent services. If you are certain that Drupal can access web pages but you are still seeing this message, you may add $conf['drupal_http_request_fails'] = FALSE; to the bottom of your settings.php file.
I have tried adding $conf['drupal_http_request_fails'] = FALSE; to my settings.php file, this error message disappeared, but I still couldn't get drupal to even successfully check for updates.
Can I enable the "HTTP request" somehow or is it exclusive to premium x10hosting subscribers?

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Your Drupal site is working for me.
Currently its not giving any error here but it has no content as well.
Only a login module and default drupal theme.

The actual problem could have been the browser and dns cache.
YOu try flushing dns

achilleasgr

Prime Account
Reaction score
My drupal site is working fine, but it can't "download information about available updates, fetch aggregator feeds, sign in via OpenID, or use other network-dependent services". Beyond that I've installed modules and administered the site without trouble.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You ought to be able to get the auto-updater to work on Premium. The PHP function required to make it work has been disabled on the free hosting service because people were using it to do all sorts of things they shouldn't have been doing (like man-in-the-middle phishing proxies -- well, proxies in general, really -- content theft, and so on). It's unfortunate that people with legitimate uses for things get locked out, but the setting is server-wide, so actions to stop abuse also stop use.

Luckily, four bucks a month is enough to stop them more-or-less dead in their tracks. (Well, it's not so much the monthly fee, but the fact that they have to buy ahead and know that they're going to be booted without recourse in a matter of hours or days.)