DS vs. PSP

willythechilly5

Reaction score
The infamous DS vs. PSP question...

Personally, I prefer the DS. It's got plenty of good games, the D and the S stand for Developer's System (okay that was sorta unnecessary),
there is touch-screen capability, you CAN go on the Internet with it (I've done it tons of times), watch movies/cartoons/videos/etc.,
read ebooks, txt files, it's got cheat systems, VERY SLIM risk of your DS getting bricked (and I'm talking 0.0000001%),
backwards compatibility, run homebrew (DSLinux!!!), etc.
Of course, you can say the same for the PSP, but did I mention... the DS is cost-effective, and because of that, many people
have either the Phat (I'll raise my hand here) or the Lite (90% of DS systems I see nowadays are Lites), or both.
So you can link up wirelessly with 7 other people to... play games.

FalseHope

Reaction score
How can this even be a debate? The PSP clearly is greater than the DS. You can do much more with a PSP than with a DS.

willythechilly5

Reaction score
That's what you think.
My DS is much better than your PSP.
If only you could see it, Mike. If only.

Jesse

Reaction score
I think PSP for me. But if i would be given a chance i choose both, Lol :D.

Dan

Reaction score
I thought Nintendo said the D and the S stand for Dual Screen.
Anyway I like both - DS has loads more games and is quite fun and more of my friends have them. The PSP has brilliant games and the graphics are amazing, I don't like the fact that with the PSP the other person has to have the game as well to link up unlike the DS though.

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
DS does stand for Dual Screen, I think willy was just making a comment.
I say DS, since I think most of the games that are made for sony consoles have long load times, and I can't stand them. The DS is also slimmer than the PSP, and has touch screen.

Rinsuki

Reaction score
Personally...I think the DS is better.

It just seems to me that the DS has FAR more versatility than the PSP. I think of it like this: Not only can I play the new games, but the older ones should a case of nostalgia hit me. Sure, the PSP can play movies...but in all honestly, the price you have to pay for the convenience of traveling with your little itty bitty screen is not worth it to me. And quite frankly...the game choices for the PSP just don't cut it for me.

I would also look at the pricing. I can have HOURS upon hours of fun with a DS for $50 less versus an hour or so of fun on a PSP(but then again...I am VERY picky when it comes to games). The whole mini-movie thing doesn't interest me in the least. With my nifty set-up I have going, I guess I really have no need for little movies(nice tv/dvds hooked up to my stereo...i love my room:biggrin:).

So...ermm...ya. DS.

KentonBomb

Reaction score
I choose PSP: Mainly because I got it for a bargain.

I gave my friend $20, A nice dagger (Yes, a knife), and a $40 Book for it. I use it for web browsing, movie watching, music...listening, and I love the games.

Personally, I think the PSP graphics are far superior to the DS as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Evocation

Reaction score
While my brother has a DS and I've had a slight go with it, it seems to only play GBA games, it doesn't seem to have any internet other then for playing wifi gaming, i get owned on mariocart too much >.>
for games the touch screen is nice but imo i can only look at one screen at a time

my psp does just about everythiing for me, the games for it are slim but i have 5 or so that i really like, it's a great manga reader, mp3 player and watching movies on the train and such, i mean the TS said he could too but i haven't seen anyone do that ;x

PSP wins for me, but then i'm not big into handheld gaming

VPmase

Reaction score
DS and PSP are equally great, but I use my DS more than my PSP. I bought the both of them for games, not for internet or music or movies; for games. And on that note, the ds have a lot better games than the PSP.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I'd have to say both as they both have their goods anf bads. Too bad the PSP has less battery life than the DS though...

serin

Reaction score
The DS is the winner in my book. My reasons? Memory cards versus CDs. CDs have a much longer load time, as well as also having the nice negative aspect of having to have a mini disc reader, as well as more moving parts (so more stuff to go wrong).

The DS also has 2 screens, which (When used correctly) creates a much more immersive game system. Played Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass?.. exactly. The fact that the second screen is a Touch screen.. makes it excellent in terms of Variety of games also, ok so instead of pressing right right up up right right to do that "Diagonal" line I take my stylus and draw it in, or let me draw a circle around myself and spin my sword... Oh, not to mention if i have the option to draw something (See Animal Crossing: Wild World and Legend of Zelda: Phantom hourglass ) I don't have to maneuver with arrows. It also registers when it's closed, which can also be integrated into games.

Therefore, as far as Input is concerned. The DS wins hands down. As far as games go, Nintendo has been making VERY memorable games for ages They're just few and far between. This is because Nintendo has to approve every game they release as to not have a PR issue, and they also have the problem that companies aren't making games for their systems too often because of the complete change of programming styles you have to use to make proper use of the multiple input styles. You could port a game from psp to DS, it would just lose all of the DSness of it. It wouldn't use the touch screen whatsoever and would be just like using a gameboy advance game. There's also contracting issues which would impede that process too.

Overall, The PSP adds about as much to the table as a Gameboy Advance, with a dvd rom drive and a wireless network adapter taped to the bottom. And the DS is an Innovative system developed to push the boundaries of gaming and make it more immersive, but isn't quite understood by developers (that don't work for nintendo) yet.

Yay for writing a book as a first post.

Last edited: