Dual Boot-Ubuntu(installed first) and XP - removing ubuntu

jan_andrada

Reaction score
I made my laptop Dual Boot. I've installed first Ubuntu, then I installed XP. I just wanna know if I remove Ubuntu, will the XP be affected?

I just ask this, but I have no plan removing my Ubuntu right now, it's very nice OS, free virus.. Just in case I sell my laptop, it should be XP.

Thanks...

anirtak143

Reaction score
depends where (partitions) the operating systems are. if they are on separate hard disks or partitions, it depends on the boot order. if grub goes first, xp may not run..

to fix this, fix the master boot record. this can be done with the windows xp cd. run the recovery tools and type fixmbr.

Nathan H

Reaction score
Well, youll need to restore the original boot loader, but you could just re-format the harddrive if your planning on re-selling.
I recommend if your selling to shred the drive and reinstall. Not literally shred but use a program so that nothing can be recovered, even apprently harmles data can be put into something terrible with the right tools.

anirtak143

Reaction score
shred the drive and reinstall.Not literally shred but use a program so that nothing can be recovered,

lol. of course.. ^^

a deleted file (even when removed from thr recycle bin) can still be recovered because the file is still in the harddrive. sort of like that. its still there.. ^^ uinless its overwritten by another file.. its hard to explain... :p