Dual Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenax

Reaction score
Recently I brought a y-cable for monitor splitting. At the current minute I have the same image on both displays. I want to know how to have the image span across both but using the y-splitter and not having a second graphics card.

I know this is possible, as my dad has that setup at work.

Help please?!?

Zdroyd

Reaction score
I believe it is as simple as going to
"Right Click on Desktop > Properties > Settings"
and then turning the other monitor on and draging it to the side of the other monitor that you have it on.

That is what I did when I linked my Laptop to my PC Monitor.

Nathan H

Reaction score
If you have a graphics card, then your motherboard should also have a vga port as well. if you connect youre first monitor to the graphics card (for best results) and the motherboard to the second monitor its fairly easy to set up desktop extension through display properties after that

Zenax

Reaction score
the port that looks similar to the graphics card is the one that is opposite. I think its the male connector!

There has to be a solution to this!

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
Are you sure this works? If you are connecting both monitors to the same port using a splitter, Windows probably won't detect both monitors, making this impossible.

Also, in response to Nathan H, I didn't know you could have multiple display adapters active at once unless you have 2 ATI cards installed and do this through CCC.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Most gaming video cards, if not all come with dual DVI adapers. My GeForce 8800 Ultras all have two DVI ports on them. If not that, even the budget machines and budget cards these days come with a way to get dual monitors going. If your video card does not have a second slot, I'd suggest you get a newer one for monitor spanning, or use CrossFire/SLI to link up another card to the computer. There are a few internet sites I've heard of that will allow you to trade in your old video cards for newer ones and all you have to do is pay the difference for the card.

Video card + Motherboard on-board = some lagging will take place when it comes down to 3D apps and some other activities. Leave everything on one card if possible.

Last edited:

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
Checking your driver settings, setting things up will NOT work - it cannot be done with a splitter. The input signal is duplicated to both outputs in the cable, meaning there is no way for Windows (or any other software) to tell the monitors apart.

The best way would be to get a new graphics card (even a cheapie £25 one) that has 2 outputs, plug each screen into an output and set it up inside windows to do what you want.

Alex

Zenax

Reaction score
There has to be some way of getting this to work. I have read about people on the internet who have this setup. The annoying thing is that they do not share on how they set the damn thing up. I might get a vga to DVI connector, and have the second monitor on the second port, which is DVI.

I know there are two types of DVI, so how do I tell which one is which?

Zenax

Reaction score
Solved the problem. Went to a shop, brought a gender changer and now I have dual monitors!

Problem Solved and Thanks for all the help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.