Dynamic DNS service

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to set up my computer as a web server, and have got really far with it-using DynDns-and my server works-I'm hoping to run a file server for my site hosted on x10 on it.

However, I'm not to happy with DynDns, mainly because you have to pay for the wildcard option-so I now have to tell people not to use www.

Anyone know how I can get around this, or suggest another dynamic DNS provider? (must be free)

Thanks.

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to set up my computer as a web server, and have got really far with it-using DynDns-and my server works-I'm hoping to run a file server for my site hosted on x10 on it.

However, I'm not to happy with DynDns, mainly because you have to pay for the wildcard option-so I now have to tell people not to use www.

Anyone know how I can get around this, or suggest another dynamic DNS provider? (must be free)

Thanks.
Try http://no-ip.com it is great.

my router support this so I don`t need to install any update client. whenever my IP change router automatically notify no-ip..... ;)

Last edited:

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Does it support wildcards?

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
Does it support wildcards?

They Support wildcards but not on free account... :(
sorry i did not read that line

Well I think No Dynamic DNS Provider provide wildcards for free

Last edited:

wongers

Reaction score
stop being such a cheap, tight fisted swine and pay for the privelage :p

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
www. on my DynDNS account happens to work and I'm not even paying for it. I don't even think I set it up in the DynDNS control panel. It worked just fine on my home server too back when I ran it full time too just as long as I had the server set to listen for requests as if it were a sub-domain. Of course I've had the DynDNS address for at least 4 years now so things might have changed.

Last edited:

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
How to you make the server listen for requests as if it were a subdomain?? That may be the problem.

mcnigelmcgruff

Reaction score
I have to recommend www.no-ip.com as well. They only charge $30 a year per domain for any domain. I believe they support wildcards as well (they have a good web page, I'm sure you can check). They have a client that can run on any OS that will report the IP (it works really well and you can set it up so that you can't even tell that it is there). Any changes made take place within 5 minutes and I haven't ever seen downtime in the five years I've used them.

Last edited: