E-Commerce Website

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has used X10 hosting to host an e-commerce store? if so any tips that they would have to offer a person starting out would be great!
Thanks!

moiety

Reaction score
Downloadable goods or real, postable ones?....virtual is fine because you can get away with no SSL...just take an email address and send 'em to paypal.

Real goods you want SSL because you need to collect an address and maybe other details. So you need: IP addy for the site & SSL cert. You can use a shared certificate, but it doesn't look very trustable & may put people off.

Depending upon the complexity/facilities you need in your cart, I'd recommend either of the following freebies:

Simple, easy to install, but has limits in what you can do with it:
http://www.maianscriptworld.co.uk/f...t/free-paypal-shopping-cart-system/index.html

Much harder work, but has pretty well everything you'll need:
http://www.zen-cart.com/

Just starting out, I'd go with the first one to start with. You can always install both in different directories, and flick from one to the other with a meta-refresh when you have got the hang of Zen Cart (if you need it). The learning curve is reasonable and step-by-step with the Maian Cart, but Zen assumes quite a high degree of competence & you could be weeks learning from scratch. And that's one of the easy ones.

Reaction score
Hey,
Yeah i have a couple of E-Commerce sites running as tests on my account to see how they fit in for me. One that I have noticed that is quite popular is OSCommerce. I have seen a lot of live stores (so of which i have bought products from) use this package so i guess its proven! Although there is a lot more to running an online store than just having an E-Commerce package.:happysad:

vikasghj

Reaction score
Well I have never tried any ecommerce site with will try OSCommerce .

buyphiten

Reaction score
Hi,

Do you really need to host the ecomm site yourself?
how about looking for online free services.

Im using www.Yourowncart.com and i find them suitable for me.
they are starting out, so you can request new functions in their sys.