Easiest/Quickest way to FTP/Transfer files between Hosts

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJeffsta

Reaction score
As of recently I have been getting suspended while generating thumbnails for my photo gallery. I was wondering though, I have an account at another host and was wondering about ways to copy all my public_html files to the other host. I was thinking of Server-Server FTP, but not too sure about this, havent done it in a while.

The main problem is the supposid unstability of the server I am on and how many times I keep getting suspended and since I have 720 more photos to do and to try not get suspended while doing them is almost impossible.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Sorry for posting this twice, my net disconnected when I was originally posting this and didnt realise it actually went through.

This way needs to work both ways so I can transfer the lot back to here once it is all done. The whole lot seems to be about 1.5GB or so.

Last edited:

bugfinder

Retired
Reaction score
server to server ftp is only possible where you have a shell access to one of the servers.

720 thumbnails.. Hmm, why not setup a cron job to do 1 thumbnail every 5 mintues, while that may take 2.5 days, in doing only 1 assuming the way the thumbnail is generated is reasonable this shouldnt get you high CPU usage.

TheJeffsta

Reaction score
Is that why I can get FTP -> FTP to the server, but all the other server gets is the 0KB files?

How would I setup the cron job to do that? I select the files to create thumbnails for in the photo gallery admin CP.

By the way SmartFTP just gets this error '[20:16:16] 500 I won't open a connection to ##.##.###.### (only to 119.224.11.126)' :( # replacing numbers to keep other host anonymous.

Last edited:

bugfinder

Retired
Reaction score
You would need a script that does it outside your control panel.

As for the ftp - theres not sufficient information to answer your question

TheJeffsta

Reaction score
Is stoli now having huge problems or is my account again in the midst of being suspended by the system?

Was downloading the files from my account to upload myself to the other server and then just randomly stopped :S

Also seems the My Account part of the site does not report stuff correctly :S 'Disk-Space Used: 1.1% / 27 MB of 2500 Megabytes' how does 1.5GB = 27MB? And how does family, friends and I viewing photos on my account = 'Bandwidth Used This Month: 0% / 0 MB of 45000 Megabytes'?

Last edited:

bugfinder

Retired
Reaction score
Some of the themes in the control panel seem to misreport the size, if you stay with the default theme, its usually reported ok.

Stoli looks fine, your account is not suspended, however, common reasons for FTP to stop and your account seem to be unhappy is multiple streams of FTP at any one time. Our firewall will block such access

TheJeffsta

Reaction score
Have FTP set to do 6 connections and has 1 other connection open to view the folder structure. Whats the max connections / IP?

I seem to keep getting:
'Network Error (tcp_error)

A communication error occurred: "Operation timed out"
The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.

For assistance, contact your network support team.'

For a second thought I had it, but logged into different ftp server :(

Would this indicate firewall blocking my IP after the many FTP connections and not letting it have access again?

Last edited:

bugfinder

Retired
Reaction score
Max connections = 1
You should also turn on passive ftp if your client supports it

TheJeffsta

Reaction score
Passive is on. I think I am blocked by the firewall - will PM Corey anyway.

[Edit: Able to FTP again, queue doing 1 file at a time.
Edit:
So if I can only have 1 ftp connection, does that mean that to upload files I am not allowed to have several links are once uploading files? or does it only count for downloads?

Last edited:

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Same with uploads, one at a time (or you can try two) at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.