Editor for website

menglim

Reaction score
Please anyone tell me what should I use to post some text instead of using textarea.

I don't want to use textarea because it is not good. TextArea has no animation....

I know there may have other posts but I could not find one.

Please tell me.

Thanks;

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
There are a number of WYSIWYG editors available, among them TinyMCE and CKEditor. They're both JavaScript-based. There are also Flash-based editors, Java applets and ActiveX controls available, each of them having their own pros and cons. I prefer the JS editors, since they degrade to textareas when things go wrong (JS disabled or partial page downloads on bad connections), so the user can still use your web page even under less-than-optimal conditions.

tim4rd

Prime Account
Reaction score
Just out of interest, what is an implementation of these WYSIWYG applications. Is it something similar to programs such as dreamweaver with fewer features but dedicated to just the writing part of websites?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
No, they're for editing text for content entries (like this one) except that instead of using markup, you use a WYSIWYG editor in the browser. It actually creates marked-up text in a textarea for submission (usually to a database), but there's a live rendered overlay that the user actually works in (rather than having a separate preview area). There are buttons for applying bold, italic and underline effects (and they usually catch common keyboard shortcuts, like Ctrl+I), changing font faces (thankfully, you can opt not to allow font selection), making text larger and smaller, adding subscripts and superscripts, numbered and bullet lists, and so on. And you can usually paste formatted text in from applications like Microsoft Word and maintain formatting. Use cases? Blog entry editing, content creation (with or without approval workflow) -- that sort of thing.