effect of games in real life.

allinone

Reaction score
Do these games like Need for speed, counter strike, doom, half life makes bad effect on our thinking i mean they makes us more destructive.............after playing nfs we just want to fly our car on road in real life too. that may be dangerous, what u think guys....

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
This is kind of a tough thing to debate, but to me, it doesn't really seem to affect what I do other than crunching pretty much an entire day's worth of boredness. If anything, some people do accuse themselves of speeding because of games like Need for Speed, but those are just the crazy people out there trying to get away with it anyways.

Reaction score
I think not to be honest. It just comes down to sense. You're not exactly going to play a game where you sneak around and walk up behind someone and shoot them in the back of the head or get an AK47 and massacre a load of people down. Well, I know some people have (Ie; the stabbings in England lately) but it really does come down to sense.

If you want to jump your car over a bridge and river you do it on the game, not real life - sensible or not?

JuniorD

Reaction score
This conflict is absurd, kids should be able to tell whats right and whats wrong. GTA IV, for example, has mass murder. I recommend at least a 12 year old plays it. Yes, if a child plays this they will be perverted, and see things they shouldn't, but this has nothing to do with what they will do later. If they do go on mass murders or are thinking of it, its because they were mental when they played that game and thought it was so fun they want to go kill off the population. Parents shouldn't even let their retarded children touch anything anyways.

pgames

Reaction score
Younger kids shouldnt be playing violent games. They're minds are still developing and they truly don't know from right or wrong.
I play the most violent video games and it doesn't affect my personality at all... I'm always calm, and I never get angry. Also, I don't like killing things, even bugs. I've always been like this for as long as I remember.

I think the effects depend on the person. Some people get really violent after playing a game, like my bro. If he's pissed off when he can't get any kills and always dieing, he gets angry and yells and stuff. I think that the ppl that get effected by video games get effected from the fact that video games are more "realistic" these days. The graphics are just too damn good.

Last edited:

JuniorD

Reaction score
No killing bugs? Your crazy. When im out in the boonies or something I kill bugs to release boredom and anger. Though I haven't killed anything bigger than a swamp mosquito. (Those things are like three feet tall... nah joking like 5 inches tall. Still tall though) I keep it usually to insects. :D

Reaction score
If he's pissed off when he can't get any kills and always dieing, he gets angry and yells and stuff.

I have that problem. :hahano: :nuts:.

I'm only angry at myself though for running into my death - depending on the circumstances like if someone blocks a door way you're trying to get through but you can't so left out in the open and killed. It doesn't make me want to go out and kill anyone or reenact what I've just been playing.

JuniorD

Reaction score
I have that problem. :hahano: :nuts:.

I'm only angry at myself though for running into my death - depending on the circumstances like if someone blocks a door way you're trying to get through but you can't so left out in the open and killed. It doesn't make me want to go out and kill anyone or reenact what I've just been playing.

Mostly because if we do want to reenact the circumstance we believe we'd be killed. that's why even children won't do this in later days, unless they're criminally insane.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I think that games affect different people in different ways. I'm sure that some crazy people do want to re-enact things they see in games, but I'm not one of them. Also if you let a young child watch/play a violent games they will probably pick up some of the language used in the game, then repeat it in real life, but it the parents fault for letting their children play unsuitable games.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
It depends. Most people might pick up the odd bit of bad language from games such as GTA, but it very rarely becomes a severe problem. Put it like this, people were breaking the law before these games were even being developed, so would banning them really make a difference? I personally don't believe that playing Manhunt will make me want to go out and repeat the events in the game. I don't believe playing NFS will make me go out and do some illegal street racing. Is there really a risk?

-Luke.

cjlittler

Reaction score
i agree with the thing posted a few posts ago about games effecting different people in different ways, but i dont think it makes too much difference. The fact that the government try to pass the blame oto games for whats happening in society is ridiculous.

people find entertainment in games, which keeps them off the streets, meaning they are less likely to cause trouble on them in my mind.

Domenico

Reaction score
The biggest effect games have on real life is that they make people talk about them around a water cooler.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
The biggest effect games have on real life is that they make people talk about them around a water cooler.

I'd agree there, and with the post above you. Games don't have a massive effect on most people, just the odd few who have problems understanding limits and boundaries. This isn't aimed at anyone in particular (I don't want to offend anybody), but there's a few people at school who are like this. They just don't seem to understand right and wrong and what is and isn't acceptable.

-Luke.

souradipm

Reaction score
I agree that games can create something to talk about when you're bored, but I wouldn't agree that people go out stealing cars because they played GTA4. A teacher at our school said once at assembly that it was as ridiculous as saying nursury rhymes (the versions people hear when they're little) make people fall off walls or sticking babies up trees to see if they fall down and die...

Nathan H

Reaction score
I think it all depends on the person as to whether a game can affect thier RL. I myself do 3 things, 1) work, 2) Webmaster, 3)Game. I always play violent games because through personal preference I Love FPS. I never let things i see in games affect in RL for me personally the reverse is true, they are my stress-relief I can vent my frustration in a world where nothing i do has consequences. There are people yes that blur the line between games and reality, but the media is overplaying this, considering the amount of gamers VERY FEW people ever act more agressive from them.

MadameSkylark

Reaction score
It may have a negative effect on a fragile mind, but the average person comprehends that video games are not real life. Rarely to you witness small children attempting to fly off tall buildings because Spyro can do it.

I recall reading a study not too long ago which dealt with the impact of video games on a person, and whether or not the games lead to an increase in violent behavior. They found that people who play a normal amount of videogames do not suffer any increase in violent behavior- in fact, spikes in violent behavior occured most often in people who did not play video games at all, and were on the same level as people who play violent videogames more than 50 hours a week. Everything in moderation.