email form

death180

Reaction score
im having issues with my website. im putting a comment section in.

http://modernwarfaresquad.exofire.net/contact.html

but it opens microsoft outlook whenever i press submit.

i know there are forms out there that dont do that. i just want to be able to send a comment without having to use emails. i want the msg to go to my inbox for my email. but i dont want outlook express to open.

wats wrong with my coding?

i would like something like this.

http://www.svpsoft.co.cc/Contact/contact.php

Last edited:

kbjradmin

Reaction score
you will have to use some sort of server side scripting to accomplish this; i prefer PHP. first, you have to build the actual HTML form. it should look something like this:
HTML:
<form id="contact" method="post" action="send.php">

<label>Name<br />
        <input type="text" name="name" />
    </label><br />

<label>Email<br />
        <input type="text" name="email" />
    </label><br />

<label>Comment<br />
        <input type="text" name="comment" />
    </label><br />

<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Send Message" />
    <input type="reset" name="reset" value="Reset Form" />

</form>

then you need to make another page, "send.php", that will handle and send the message.

PHP:
<?php

$to = "youraddress@yourdomain.com";
    $name = $_REQUEST['name'] ;
    $email = $_REQUEST['email'] ;
    $comment = $_REQUEST['comment'] ;

$success = mail($to, "Subject", $comment, "From: $email");

?>
<html>
</html>

death180

Reaction score
roger that.

but err....

how do i create another page using dreamweaver? i have never needed too.

freecrm

Reaction score
LOL - ctrl+N

The select blank php type.

The reason for Outlook opening is the "mailto:" tag which opens the users default e-mail management system.

As kbjradmin says above, the php mail system will carry out the operation on the X10 servers so doesn't require a client-side app.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
AAMOF, CTRL+N opens a new page or document in most of windows application. It's sort of an unwritten standard. Be sure to remember that shortcut!! ;)

jakeselectronics

Reaction score
I know how hard it is to get a email form going when you've never done it before.

I finally got it right on my site and just gave the files to someone that liked it.
I can do the same for you if you want.

It's a lot easier to copy someones working Email Form, and edit that, as aposed to starting from scratch.

Check out my website at www.jakeselectronics.x10hosting.com and if you want to see or use my files I can send them to you.

Tariqul Islam

Reaction score
you can use cgi-mail for hassle free operation. i'll provide the details just after some time.
Edit:
At first go to your Control Panel.
Click on File Manager and then Click on Go button.
find for cgi-bin folder. If there is no cgi-bin folder then from your cpanel click on CGI Center under Software / Services Section. After that Click on CGI email. An web page like the following confirm you that your cgi-bin folder is set and activated.

Using cgiemail
Read the cgiemail user guide to find out how to use cgiemail. If you are already trying to follow the instructions in the guide, seeing this page probably indicates you didn't follow the action instructions correctly.

If you are a webmaster testing your installation of cgiemail, congratulations. You installed it correctly. The next step is to make sure it can actually send mail. See the webmaster guide.

cgiemail
Last modified: Thu Feb 5 13:10:06 EST 1998

Now Study this page and you can send e-mails through your web form.

Regards,
Tareq

Last edited:

robocards

Reaction score
this is a little more advance code that you can play with for your mail to
<?php

$my_email = "angelogargarello@gmail.com";

/*

Enter the continue link to offer the user after the form is sent. If you do not change this, your visitor will be given a continue link to your homepage.

If you do change it, remove the "/" symbol below and replace with the name of the page to link to, eg: "mypage.htm" or "http://www.elsewhere.com/page.htm"

*/

$continue = "http://robocards.x10hosting.com/";

/*

Step 3:

Save this file (FormToEmail.php) and upload it together with your webpage containing the form to your webspace. IMPORTANT - The file name is case sensitive! You must save it exactly as it is named above! Do not put this script in your cgi-bin directory (folder) it may not work from there.

THAT'S IT, FINISHED!

You do not need to make any changes below this line.

*/

$errors = array();

// Remove $_COOKIE elements from $_REQUEST.

if(count($_COOKIE)){foreach(array_keys($_COOKIE) as $value){unset($_REQUEST[$value]);}}

// Check all fields for an email header.

function recursive_array_check_header($element_value)
{

global $set;

if(!is_array($element_value)){if(preg_match("/(%0A|%0D|\n+|\r+)(content-type:|to:|cc:|bcc:)/i",$element_value)){$set = 1;}}
else
{

foreach($element_value as $value){if($set){break;} recursive_array_check_header($value);}

}

}

recursive_array_check_header($_REQUEST);

if($set){$errors[] = "You cannot send an email header";}

unset($set);

// Validate email field.

if(isset($_REQUEST['email']) && !empty($_REQUEST['email']))
{

if(preg_match("/(%0A|%0D|\n+|\r+|:)/i",$_REQUEST['email'])){$errors[] = "Email address may not contain a new line or a colon";}

$_REQUEST['email'] = trim($_REQUEST['email']);

if(substr_count($_REQUEST['email'],"@") != 1 || stristr($_REQUEST['email']," ")){$errors[] = "Email address is invalid";}else{$exploded_email = explode("@",$_REQUEST['email']);if(empty($exploded_email[0]) || strlen($exploded_email[0]) > 64 || empty($exploded_email[1])){$errors[] = "Email address is invalid";}else{if(substr_count($exploded_email[1],".") == 0){$errors[] = "Email address is invalid";}else{$exploded_domain = explode(".",$exploded_email[1]);if(in_array("",$exploded_domain)){$errors[] = "Email address is invalid";}else{foreach($exploded_domain as $value){if(strlen($value) > 63 || !preg_match('/^[a-z0-9-]+$/i',$value)){$errors[] = "Email address is invalid"; break;}}}}}}

}

// Check referrer is from same site.

if(!(isset($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']) && !empty($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']) && stristr($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'],$_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']))){$errors[] = "You must enable referrer logging to use the form";}

// Check for a blank form.

function recursive_array_check_blank($element_value)
{

global $set;

if(!is_array($element_value)){if(!empty($element_value)){$set = 1;}}
else
{

foreach($element_value as $value){if($set){break;} recursive_array_check_blank($value);}

}

}

recursive_array_check_blank($_REQUEST);

if(!$set){$errors[] = "You cannot send a blank form";}

unset($set);

// Display any errors and exit if errors exist.

if(count($errors)){foreach($errors as $value){print "$value<br>";} exit;}

if(!defined("PHP_EOL")){define("PHP_EOL", strtoupper(substr(PHP_OS,0,3) == "WIN") ? "\r\n" : "\n");}

// Build message.

function build_message($request_input){if(!isset($message_output)){$message_output ="";}if(!is_array($request_input)){$message_output = $request_input;}else{foreach($request_input as $key => $value){if(!empty($value)){if(!is_numeric($key)){$message_output .= str_replace("_"," ",ucfirst($key)).": ".build_message($value).PHP_EOL.PHP_EOL;}else{$message_output .= build_message($value).", ";}}}}return rtrim($message_output,", ");}

$message = build_message($_REQUEST);

$message = $message . PHP_EOL.PHP_EOL."-- ".PHP_EOL."";

$message = stripslashes($message);

$subject = "FormToEmail Comments";

$headers = "From: " . $_REQUEST['email'];

mail($my_email,$subject,$message,$headers);

?>

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<html>

<head>
<title>Dreamweaver Tutorial - Contact Form</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
</head>

<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000">

<div>
<center>
<b>Thank you <?php print stripslashes($_REQUEST['name']); ?></b>
<br>
Your message has been sent you will recive a email asking for more information soon.
<p><a href="<?php print $continue; ?>">Click here to continue</a></p>
<p><b>This form was created </b> by <a href="http://www.theoldelement.elementfx.com">The Old Element</a></p>
<p>Note you IP has been taken for docmuent of the letter. </p>
</center>
</div>

</body>
</html>

Have fun