Status
Not open for further replies.

hotpawsadmin

Reaction score
I need a little help here...

My account username is hotpaws
My primary domain here is hotpaws.ca
I have an ad-free account.

The problem is that I can't seem to send any mail from my created email account: karla@hotpaws.ca when I'm using a simple email program like outlook express. I've tried using the auto-configure registry entry that you guys provide, but it didn't work. I've tried configuring the account inside of outlook express myself with the manual settings info that you guys provide, but that also hasn't worked for me. I just keep getting the error message:

"The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'karla@hotpaws.ca', Server: 'mail.hotpaws.ca', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E"

...whenever I try to send out a message.

I should point out that I can receive mail using outlook express, but as I've said above, I can't send it with the program. Another thing: I do not have this problem when I use the Horde webmail program in cPanel; I can send and receive my mail from this account just fine with no problems.

So the problem arises when I try to use outlook express to connect via SMTP. I'd have no problem just using Horde to view and send my mail, but I'm running this site for another person and so she gets the email and wishes to use outlook express to do this, so...yeah.

Any suggestions about what I can do to fix this?

As always, thanks in advance.

lambada

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to set up SMTP Autehentication in OUtlook Express.

Tools > Accounts > Select your cPanel account and hit properties > check 'My server requires authentication under Outgoing mail server), select logon using then use your cPanel username and password. Check remember password if you want.

Also SMTP on the server may be down.

hotpawsadmin

Reaction score
Thanks for responding.

I've been using the SMTP authentication all along, and I'm still having this problem. Just to be sure, though, I double and triple checked it--it's set up right.

As for the servers being down, that can't be it, as I've been trying over and over for almost a week now, and before I do each time, I check the server status page here on the forums.

I'm completely in the dark here. Everything seems right on my end, but something is screwing up.

I'm going to keep trying whatever I can, but if you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Edit:
OK, I solved the problem...I think. I can now send mail from outlook express; the problem I had was that the info cPanel provides for configuring you mail client tells you to use port 25 for smtp, when it's really port 465 that needs to be used (apparently--at least that's what got it working for me). And just for reference, I'm using port 995 for incoming mail, in case it helps for future cases of similar nature.

One last thing: while this has got it working for me, when Outlook Express connects to the server, I get the following message in a dialogue box that pops up:

"The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that could not be verified. A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider. Do you want to continue using this server?"

If you click "yes", it works, but I thought I'd let you know what's going on in case it helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.