Email suddenly stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

archprime

Prime Account
Reaction score
Hi - I just set up a website (www.prime.net.nz) on x10 hosting, and updated my domain registrars name server records to ns1.x10hosting.com - which seems to have worked, as my website is now found.

However in the process, my email to this domain is now going astray. On my domain registrrars site, the zone MX record is unchanged, and continues to refer email to this domain to an address my ISP provided.

Somehow though, this MX record started being ignored - as soon as the name server for my domain was updated.

Why would this be? I thought MX records and name server records were unrelated?
Does X10hosting somehow preempt the MX records of my domain registrar?

How can I get email to my domain to resume delivery to my original ISP provided email address?

Cheers
Paul King

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
the MX records are the same as A records and CNAME and all the other records a dns server serves up. Nameservers tell dns resolvers were to look for DNS entries.
You will need to go into cpanel, click MX Entry, Select the domain, Go to the bottom and delete any existing records, then add them using the entry boxes right above the list you just cleared.

archprime

Prime Account
Reaction score
Hi - thanks - but I am wondering what to replace the existing records with?
My domain registrar has what it shows as the "MX" record in the following format: Preference: 10, Fully qualified domain name: mx1.iserve.co.nz, TTL:43200
But there seems no way to add any kind of "MX" entry in the x10hosting zone file in cpanel - the record type options there are limited to "A", "CNAME" and "TXT" - nothing about "MX"

How do I get mail delivery back to normal?

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
I said to click "MX Entry", not the "DNS Zone Editor"

archprime

Prime Account
Reaction score
Hi thanks - for some reason I missed that!

I have tried pasting in the same entry my domain registrar has for my MX entry, but 24 hours later, still no email.

Wondering what else I should be doing/doing differently?

Status
Not open for further replies.