Emails sent never reaching destination

groh

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm using Roundcube to send a message to my gmail account but, despite the message being moved to the Sent folder, it never reaches its destination.
I even tried to reply to a message I successfully sent from my email to the Roundcube account, with same result.
Any tips?
Thanks!

ctyrd

Reaction score
Community members need your domain to provide feedback. Staff members may not see your request as a support request, and reply in a timely manner.

groh

Reaction score
Ok, the domain is cognitiva.pro and the attached picture shows how it is configured in the X10hosting domain server.

Attachments

• Domain.jpg
    Domain.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 9

ctyrd

Reaction score
Ok, the domain is cognitiva.pro and the attached picture shows how it is configured in the X10hosting domain server.
You dns is all over the place. nothing is working. It looks like you are trying to use wixdns.net as the dns host through x10 directadmin dns host.. " https://intodns.com/cognitiva.pro ". So I will need to what your objective is. Set the nameservers to which dns host you want to use.

NS records "Value" in the x10 dns manager needs to be ns1.x10hosting.com, and ns2.x10hosting.com. There is no "A" record for cognitiva.pro.

Reference:

Screenshot 2023-11-28 11.50.33 AM.png

Last edited:

groh

Reaction score
Yeah ctyrd, my mistake. Since things were not working, I tried to mix the entries from Wix into X10. Most certainly messed up things a bit.
Anyway, I want to have my page on Wix and my domain and mail managed by X10.
Now, instead of having the connection to Wix thru NS as initially (which is the preferred method by Wix), I now made the connection available to Wix by pointing a couple of entries on X10 to it - as instructed by Wix. I also remove all DNS entries I had on Wix in the process, so to make sure X10 is the only one who manages DNS.
At the end the only entries that point to Wix are the A for the @ and a CNAME for the www.
DNS seems to be still propagating, and I am not being able to see my website this far. According to Wix it may take up to Friday.
Wix also said I should have no other A entries besides the @ one pointing to the IP they provided me, so I moved all A entries (for ftp, mail, pop and smtp) to CNAMEs.
Now I can't either send nor receive emails. Not sure if its related to moving those entries from A to CNAME or its due to the DNS still being propagated.
DNS table now looks like the attached picture. intodns.com/cognitiva.pro shows no errors bar a couple of warnings.
https://www.whatsmydns.net/#A/cognitiva.pro shows no location correctly resolving the domain name yet, though.

Attachments

• Domain2.jpg
    Domain2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 6

ctyrd

Reaction score
I want to have my page on Wix and my domain and mail managed by X10.
I see problems down the road doing it this way. I have to ask, does wix or hostinger host dns?

First restore the domain dns to its original state with x10 dns manager. So when you navigate to the website it lands on the x10hosting account landing page. All dns records a, mx, ns.

Then you can point the domain to the wix page. DA control panel "Domain Pointers"

Good Luck.

Last edited:

groh

Reaction score
Hi ctyrd, I already did what you mentioned.
X10 is now serving DNS for my website, and the only entries pointing to Wix are two "A" records plus a CNAME required for the pointing process. All the rest was left exactly like X10 put available to me in the first place. You can see the ping results are correctly pointing to the X10 IP addresses for mail and smtp, and the webpage is also correctly pinging its Wix IPs.
It is weird because I can receive e-mails - which says much about pop being working fine - but sent messages don't reach destination. Problems with DNS should prevent me even from receiving messages, so I think this must be something related to the smtp server configuration.
I appreciate and welcome any help or suggestion.

Attachments

• Domain3.jpg
    Domain3.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 4
  • ping_test.jpg
    ping_test.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 4
  • ping_test2.jpg
    ping_test2.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

ctyrd

Reaction score
Problems with DNS should prevent me even from receiving messages, so I think this must be something related to the smtp server configuration.
I appreciate and welcome any help or suggestion.
I knew there was going to be problems. Are you use the system generated email address (default)? Are you using secure pop, and smtp? There may be away to add the SSL cert with a wild card in x10 secure ssl manager, I do not know what it will do to the webpage dns. Maybe nothing. I am not sure about the free services TOS. The storage may have to be used for website files.

groh

Reaction score
Here we go:
Are you use the system generated email address (default)?
No, I'm using an email I created on the CPANEL (info@cognitiva.pro)

Are you using secure pop, and smtp?
No, I'm using the webmail provided by X10, Roundcube! It does not have any setup I could change for the protocols. CPanel doesn't allow me to check the default email mailbox using Roundcube, anyway, and trying to log in to Roundcube using the default credentials doesn't work either...

There may be away to add the SSL cert with a wild card in x10 secure ssl manager, I do not know what it will do to the webpage dns.
This does not seem to be an SSL-related issue! It is most likely to be SPF-related since I can receive messages, but sent ones are not delivered. And Roundcube sucks! It doesn't even show any undeliverable or errors that could help in the debugging process!

I am not sure about the free services TOS. The storage may have to be used for website files.
Again, not SSL-related issue here... Besides, I have 100% of my disk space free anyway.

ctyrd

Reaction score
Are you using secure pop, and smtp?
No, I'm using the webmail provided by X10, Roundcube! It does not have any setup I could change for the protocols. CPanel doesn't allow me to check the default email mailbox using Roundcube, anyway, and trying to log in to Roundcube using the default credentials doesn't work either...
CPanel or Directadmin ? I login to default all the time. You mite want to try getting that working. If the default account is not authorized on the smtp server, info may not be. (envelope-from <info@cognitiva.pro>)

There may be away to add the SSL cert with a wild card in x10 secure ssl manager, I do not know what it will do to the webpage dns.
This does not seem to be an SSL-related issue! It is most likely to be SPF-related since I can receive messages, but sent ones are not delivered. And Roundcube sucks! It doesn't even show any undeliverable or errors that could help in the debugging process!
It kind of does matter for smtp authentication. roundcube is a webmail client. Try a local email client for settings that work (non-secure and secure). There is an email usage link in Directadmin, attempts that are missing failed.

groh

Reaction score
CPanel or Directadmin ?
ctyrd
, I'm new to x10, so I'm not very familiar to the terms. I use what is available to me as "Hosting Control Panel" once I log into x10, so I deduced it would be cpanel.

I login to default all the time.
I don't know what you mean because, once I log into x10 and choose the cpanel/directadmin I get to another page where I can access the email account management, and them I am presented to my default account and the info one I created. The only one that also enables me to get into Roundcube is the info one, as you can see on the attached image. Any attempts to connect to Roundcube using the default account credentials fails.

Try a local email client for settings that work (non-secure and secure).
Just did it using Outlook for both secure and unsecure connections. Same results: I can get messages, but the ones I sent never reach destination.

I'm also attaching the pages in the sequence I click to get to the emails. On step 04 you can see that I cannot click to open Roundcube for the default user. Step 05 shows all the messages I received.

Attachments

• 05-roundcube-page.png
    05-roundcube-page.png
    312.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 04-e-mail-accounts.png
    04-e-mail-accounts.png
    276.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 03-x10-dashboard.png
    03-x10-dashboard.png
    399.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 02-x10-services-page.png
    02-x10-services-page.png
    101 KB · Views: 5
  • 01-X10-Login.png
    01-X10-Login.png
    72.7 KB · Views: 4

groh

Reaction score
Very well.
After some trial and error I could finally log into the webmail for the default account and perform a test sending a message to my gmail account and it worked.
Now the question is: why does the default account successfully deliver emails while the user account can't?

ctyrd

Reaction score
Now the question is: why does the default account successfully deliver emails while the user account can't?

It has something to do with dns and smtp authorization.

If you received an email from the default account, look at the source headers. smtp authorization username is "info@cognitiva.pro".
You can send inbox@tbint.us an email from the default address. I would like to see the headers.

groh

Reaction score
Hi ctyrd.
I just sent you a message from the default user.
As regarding smtp authentication, I successfully connected using Outlook, so the credentials are valid, I made sure of it.
Regarding these links:

Last edited:

groh

Reaction score
[ SOLVED ]
It all came down to having to turn DKIM on!
Thanks ctryd for the support!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-01 184415.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-01 184415.png
    14 KB · Views: 3