Embeding Forums into Website?

moose

Reaction score
I am currently working on a huge upgrade for my website, and will be wanting some help with a couple of things.

I'm most likely going to be coding/designing by myself. I just would like a few help on getting tutorials while I set up the basic base of the website.

One of the things that I would like, is somehow embeding a forum into a website frame. Hopefully you know what that means, if not, I'll post again and draw and example since I'm not able to find a live example.

And also, so this is kinda an ongoing topic, but which FREE forum do you think I should get?

Please post the name of the forums and a good opinion about it that would make me want to get it.

Thanks for any help and go ahead and just post about which forum you would suggest even if you don't know how to embed the forum into the website.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Smf 1.1 rc2 has got alot of options and modifications and themes available. Plus it integrates witha nuber of different portal`s and cms`s. Tinyportal, mkportal and Joomla all work with smf. My site right now is smf and Joomla, I dont have the forum wrapped right now but that is easily done. Hope this helps.

Cynical

Reaction score
To embed it you could either find a Portal system to install, or modify the board wrapper and HTML, removing the stuff you don't want (likely footer/header info + text, logo, etc), and then using an iframe or PHP include() (better) to embed the forum.

moose

Reaction score
Dang.. seems like a lot of work.

The thing is, I have a community that's been waiting (a graphics one) and we had a really good forum going on with a real decent ammount of people posting, and we used to have a webpage. Our actual host just quit on us so I'm trying to re do this here.

The webpage would be real nice, and it would give me more experience, but I want people to see the webpage too, just not the forum, so I was thinking about that.

Well, please tell me which forum might be the best for this case.

Thanks.

B

Brandon

Hmm... If I was going to embed a forum I would use PunBB its very small compact and anyone can mod it.

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
you can use the mkportal i think that really works because ive used it before with most of the boards like smf IPB and phpbb they all fit into the mk portal

moose

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'm actually gonna try to build my own portal.

If anyone can help, please hook me up with a tutorial to be able to make a portal like.. perhaps this website..
Code:
http://halo-center.com/
With an AdminCP and all that if possible. I wouldn't like it exact though, something skinnable. Just some PHP and CMS.

Thanks for any help in advance :)

moose

Reaction score

I really apprechiate it.

[Any other help would be apprechiated too]

Last edited:

moose

Reaction score
If it doesn't get in your way, I would like any help possible. I've become familiar how PHP works, but not what the variables mean or anything. Kinda like, I know the taste but not the ingredients.

So yeah, any help would be apprechiated. Thanks again :)

flapietoetoe

Reaction score
U could always use a CMS almost all forums are easily integrated with joomla/mambo with a plugin called a bridge

B

Brandon

flapietoetoe said:
U could always use a CMS almost all forums are easily integrated with joomla/mambo with a plugin called a bridge

such an example is phpnuke