Epic Upgrade

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Screenshot-2.png

You won't have the pleasure of my company for a few hours. Enjoy it while it lasts :biggrin:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
IDK, I live out in the middle of nowhere so I can only get 750kbps DSL, or whatever the hell it's speed is supposed to be.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
How often do you download a full new version of Windows as well as every program you have installed on Windows? This isn't some patch to IE8, this is an update to like 50% of the entire operating system and every program combined :D

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
IDK, I live out in the middle of nowhere so I can only get 750kbps DSL, or whatever the hell it's speed is supposed to be.

LOL 768kbps DSL? I remember having those speeds here. I managed to get by with it, but when I started pulling down large files, it became a PITA. I upgraded to 3Mbps, and then when my ISP created a 7.1Mbps plan I upgraded to that.

Slow broadband is unfortunately the downside to living out in the country.

Danielx386

Reaction score
How often do you download a full new version of Windows as well as every program you have installed on Windows? This isn't some patch to IE8, this is an update to like 50% of the entire operating system and every program combined :D
not that often but still, i think it alot.

nterror

Reaction score
Linux distros come with an Add/Remove Program panel like Windows, but it also offers the ability to update ALL programs. This saves a lot of time so you don't have to go to each program's website to see if there are updates, download, and install individually.

He is probably upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10 along with his programs.

I wish Windows updated that much....

ah-blabla

Reaction score
Linux distros come with an Add/Remove Program panel like Windows, but it also offers the ability to update ALL programs. This saves a lot of time so you don't have to go to each program's website to see if there are updates, download, and install individually.

And you don't even have to go to a website to get a program... You can just look at the package repo, select, and confirm, and a little later the program is ready to go. All your updates are done from that, automatically if you wish (i.e. one center to control all software installation and upgrade), and you can even upgrade the complete OS using buttonclicks... 1.5Gb isn't a bad amount for a COMPLETE OS upgrade (I don't know if this is, but on my system doing an OS ugrade was about 1.5Gb of work, taking about an hour for me because of high internet speed).. How many cds/dvds does WIndows 7 come one again? (Edit: I searched and it seems a win7 dvd is 2.4Gb - And that doesn't even include any useful software does it? - that 1.5Gb for me included desktop, browsers, development tools, 2 office suites etc. etc., i.e. ALL my software.)

Windows users really are clueless when it comes to software packaging, size and management... One example: my complete GNU/Linux system with all software uses 5.5Gb, while an equivalently equipped Windows system takes up 20Gb, or quite likely even more. An extreme example is DSL with a complete system in 50MB, albeit without much productivity software.

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Done! It definitely took the full 8 hours. BTW, my downstream maxes out at around 55kbps. Yeah, major suckage.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
That's why I love Linux :)

Yup.
Done! It definitely took the full 8 hours. BTW, my downstream maxes out at around 55kbps. Yeah, major suckage.
I think the servers were maxed out because I usually get at least a 1mb/s connection to the repos and it took over an hour for me to download a Java update. It's doing fine for me right now.

lithaerien

Reaction score
with my DSL I can only download like up to 100kb/s, whereas the city next to this town (about 5 mins away) has up to DSL 25000 *mutter*

Last edited:

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
With my Storm line-of-sight wireless Internet, I get between 170KB/s (normal) and 240KB/s (late-night). System updates from either Debian or Ubuntu rarely went above >50KB/s before iWeb started hosting updates. I blame overloaded update servers.

--- Mr. DOS

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
My terrible DSL is the only thing offered, other than using satellite internet, which is way overpriced. AT&T is telling me they aren't really planning on upgrading in the area yet either.:rant2:

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
My terrible DSL is the only thing offered, other than using satellite internet, which is way overpriced. AT&T is telling me they aren't really planning on upgrading in the area yet either.:rant2:

I guarantee it's better than Charter. =]

In fact, if we had a landline, I'd use AOL over Charter, I bet it has better reliability.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score

I have the most basic DSL with AT&T and I'm fine with it.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I guarantee it's better than Charter. =]

In fact, if we had a landline, I'd use AOL over Charter, I bet it has better reliability.

AOL? They've gone down the tubes very quickly. After all, the dial-up business has declined by a large amount thanks to DSL/Cable/Fiber/Wireless/Satellite internet. In fact 4 years ago before we finally ordered DSL here (the same time they built the remote on my lawn), AOL was having issues with their dial-in numbers and busy signals, as well as with speeds and authentication.

Last edited: