Error on installing Joomla

Gary Spencer

Reaction score
Fist let me say I'm so new not only to these forums but to building websites in general.

I've moved hosts from Google Sites and set up here. Domains moved ok etc.

I've deleted my old google site this morning to start afresh.

I have gone to the Fantastico link from my control panel and clicked install Joomla, but get this error message on installation: -

The installation can not be completed:

- You chose to install in the main directory of the domain antarctic-imagery.co.uk, but there are conflicting filenames, therefore we can not proceed. Following filenames already exist in the main directory of the domain antarctic-imagery.co.uk (path="/home/gms/public_html/").You must manually remove these files before proceeding with auto-installation:
images

My question is, what do I do?!! this may be very simple, but so am I! Please help, I just want to get started after having a miserable time with google sites.

thanks in advance

Sorry for being silly. It was quite obvious really, just discovered the 'file manager' icon in cpanel!

Last edited:

wolfster

Reaction score
well you could delete the files (if they actually exsist) I had the same error when i started my joomla site and there wasnt any files so i put my site in a subfolder....
failing that you can add a folder to install joomla too just put a name in the field marked Install in directory when installing with fantastico
you can still get your domain to rediect to the subfolder and its actually a good idea because you can have 3 sites up all in different subfolders.

just an FYI joomla 1.6 is now available and im not sure but i think 1.5 is the version fantastico is using right now...

OR
you could goto joomla website download the 1.6 and use that, its pretty easy to install with ftp ;)

hope that helps

What did you do? Im a n00b too and im getting this error.
log in to your control panel and use the file manager to delete any files within the public_html folder

Last edited:

aviansoul28

Reaction score
I installed joomla using a simple ftp client and then installing it within the required folder........
I wud advice you to do the same coz then in case of a error u cud easily delete all datas and then install it once again using the same installer u had uploaded earlier w/o uploading it again......dats safe and easy