Error pages - send me info (read further for clarification)

dwd2000

Reaction score
Note: I'm a paying customer, so yes, I can edit my error pages.

Scenario:
Someone happens to land on an error page, for whatever reason. I would like the info automatically sent to me without the user knowing.

cPanel has the codes already available to insert into the error pages, but I would like to know what's happening. If someone is getting an error page by clicking a bad link, or a hacker trying to search for something and getting the error pages, I would like to know. I can check the e-mails to see if the same person is getting a lot of error pages, or just to fix a link.

I was thinking of incorporating a form into the page, and maybe using a "refresh"/"redirect" meta tag to get them to an html page with the same info as the original error page. As the page refreshes, the e-mail is being sent to me without the user knowing or having a chance to react or depending on him/her to actually click a "submit" button.

Any ideas???

marshian

Reaction score
Well, you can use php code in your errorpage to send the mail automaticly when somebody sees the page. But php won't be able to determine it's a hacker or just a wrong link...
This would be an example of a 404 page:
PHP:
<?php
//The difference in time between you and the server. (in seconds)
$timezoneoffset = 0;
//Your emailadress
$yourmail = "you@host.com";
$requested = $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERRER'];
$ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
//Internet host name, gives some more info (isp and usually a hint of his location)
$ihn = gethostbyaddr($ip);
$time = time() + $timezoneoffset;
$date = date("Y-m-d at h:i", $time);
$mail = "<html><body>$ip ($ihn)<br>Requested the non-existing page <i>$requested</i>.<br>Time: $date<body></html>";
$headers = "From: 404 <{$_SERVER['SERVER_ADMIN']}>\r\n";
$headers .= "Content-type: text/html\r\n";
//@ makes it silent, no errors on failure
@mail($yourmail, "404 error", $mail, $headers);
?>
<html>
<head>
<title>404</title>
</head>
<body>
A HTTP 404 error has occured.
</body>
</html>

dwd2000

Reaction score
Well, you can use php code in your error page to send the mail automatically when somebody sees the page. But php won't be able to determine it's a hacker or just a wrong link...

I'm not worried about the code determining if it's a hacker. I can probably figure that out by the pages they are trying to get to and how many times they try.

Wouldn't I have to change the error pages to .php?

I'm using a nice form script that hides my e-mail address really well. ( Simple PHP Form Mailer http://www.onetforum.com/formmailer/) I'm hoping to find a way for a form to be sent automatically, without the "submit" button.

I will try your suggestion. Thanks.

marshian

Reaction score
Yes, the syntax to do this with .htaccess files is: ErrorDocument statuscode file
example:
ErrorDocument 403 /err/403.php