error pages

sajidsajid

Reaction score
ok i have got serious problems. First does the free hosting allow custom error pages? If yes then please tell me how to use them. I tried cpanel and also .htaccess but failed. please help me.

Salvatos

Prime Account
Reaction score
In your cPanel, you have the "Advanced" section and, in it, Error pages. Click it, choose your domain if you have many, then choose the type of error page you wish to create. Then make your code and you're done!
It's available on all of x10Hosting's plans as far as I know.

sajidsajid

Reaction score
yes i tried that, do i have to edit for the x10hosting subdomain or my own domain?

Salvatos

Prime Account
Reaction score
Well I'd say go for both to be sure...
To give you an idea, I have my main site at salvatos.x10hosting.com and a subdomain ilmaril.x10hosting.com. As far as I know, if I set my error pages only for salvatos(...).com, they won't show up if someone accesses my site via ilmaril(...).com.

But if that doesn't work, I personally don't know, sorry.

xPlozion

Reaction score
From what I was told, if you are using a free account, then the 404 error page cannot be set to your own. They have it setup so afaik that's another way they get revenue from the free accounts to afford the server costs, but all of the others (403, 500) can be set as your own.

-xP

sajidsajid

Reaction score
From what I was told, if you are using a free account, then the 404 error page cannot be set to your own. They have it setup so afaik that's another way they get revenue from the free accounts to afford the server costs, but all of the others (403, 500) can be set as your own.

-xP

Even On ad enhanced they don't let us? oh man...:rant2:

takuhii

Reaction score
it seems you can edit your error pages, but they won't actually display, the x10hosting error pages take over, the only thing i have noticed is that while i use wordpress, the wordpress 404 pages take over the x10 pages, so there is a way to over-rule the default, but I'm not clever enough to work that out...

arachide28

Reaction score
Well, I had custom error pages for a while, but you have to edit the .htaccess file in your 'www' folder. Maybe it doesn't work though, but oh well, give it a try :) .
Add this to .htaccess:
Code:
ErrorDocument # htttp://www.yourwebaddress.com/404page.shtml
So if you wanted it to be a 404 you would type:
Code:
ErrorDocument 404 http://www.mysite.com/my404.shtml

Well, I doubt that will help, but it's all I can think of.

takuhii

Reaction score
I think it's a simple as;
Code:
ErrorDocument 404 /404page.html

you shouldn't need all the http nonsense...

arachide28

Reaction score
With mine, my 404 error was on a differant remote server that I couldn't log in to get the source code lol, so I had to use http://, now I just do it as a habit ;) .