Exit from PHPmyAdmin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ardnek

Reaction score
I appreciate X10 hosting and have been wanting to ask this question for some time now (searched posts, hoped I would happen upon it).

How do I exit from PHPmyAdmin in order to login to my database with a different username (with different priveleges)? I created two user names and both of them work from within my index.php programs (mysql connect function) but how do I do it in PHPmyAdmin??

With my previous free host company there was an "Exit" button located at top left of PhPMyAdmin next to the "Home", "Documentation" buttons, etc. I have only ever logged in throu X10hosting PHPmyadmin using my database user name/pw twice: once when I just created it and the second time when all the changes were made in March (moved to new server). Please help. I want to test out my different users.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
My understanding is that when you are using phpMyAdmin via the cPanel, you are there as your cPanel username, say bob , instead of bob_wordpress or bob_joomla. bob would have all permissions.

I don't think there is a way to use cPanel phpMyAdmin as one of the 'sub-users'.

The only way to test the permissions would be via a PHP/Perl/Python script.

ardnek

Reaction score
Thanks, descalzo, for your quick response! Not being a programmer myself, just wondering again:

Why then did I have to log in (with my database username/pw) the two times it asked me - right after setting up the database and again after all the changes to the system (couple of weeks ago). It seems PHPMyadmin uses the login and then its as if I never can log out. What if (in my inexperience) I had logged in using my database user/password that only had "select" privilege...would I never have the capability to edit my database as long as I have this account? Also, curious why my other free host had the exit button and required me to log out each session.

Trying to understand all this so I don't make more blunders... Again, thanks so much for your constant support. I am so happy to have the ability to share my info with others in my hobby at virtually no cost to me.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm afraid you've lost me.
Everytime I enter phpMyAdmin from cPanel, it does not ask me to log in. It "logs me in" automatically.

If you go back and it requests you to login, please post here.

Your other host: Did they use cPanel also?

ardnek

Reaction score
Descalzo - So sorry I have made it confusing. I'll try to explain it better.

Like you, I am also automatically logged into PhPMyadmin from Cpanel automatically EXCEPT for these two times (since I have become a member - Sept. 2009):

1) (Sept. 2009) I had to enter a database user name/PW to access PhPMyAdmin for the first time, right after creating the database and its user accounts and,

2) Last month (March 2010) after all the relocation of X10hosting, moving from the old Lotus server to the new one (and all that down time) I was prompted for it again to get into PhpMyadmin (its a small pop-up window, just a little gray box asking for the user name and password).

These are the only times I have ever had to enter the database username/pw. All the other times I have accessed PHPMyadmin (between those two events and since event #2) it has logged me in automatically. I assumed you had to login with database user each time a new database is created and again if maintenance functions clear it out.

If this is the way it is supposed to work, then I guess I am doing nothing wrong (logging out of PhPMyadmin by closing my browser). Being such a novice at all this, I was afraid I was exposing myself to unwanted attacks to my database data by never logging out of PhPMyadmin. Also, I wondered what if I had inadvertently used one if my "select only" privilege username/pw combinations - would it never let me log out and back in with the full privilege user?

I will, as you suggested, just test my other username/pw through my php programs. I appreciate your time and effort to help me. Just tell me if closing the browser is the correct way to log out of PhPMyAdmin and I will be happy.

ardnek

Reaction score
Oops - forgot to answer you other question - Yes, my former host (********) also used CPanel.

Last edited by a moderator:

ardnek

Reaction score
Another Oops - mistaken about cPanel - I was thinking of PhPMyadmin that was also used by my former free host. I don't think we used cPanel. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.