Extra -terrestrial Beings, Shall there ever be contact?

hot100

Reaction score
Yeah, I know, we have all wondered at some point if there are other intelligent beings out there. Truth said, I am partial to the fact that there might be no other intelligence out there.

I blame the idea on our ignorance of what is out there in space and our fascination with the supernatural and un-explainable. For some it is religion and for others, it is aliens or beings with supernatural abilites.

I was watching the movie District 9 recently and I thought to myself, why are all ideas about aliens associated with superior technology and size? The truth could easily be vice versa.

It is not easy for a planet to support life. Our own solar system is testament to that fact. Of all planets and about 90 moons, only one mass of dirt is viable for life.

If aliens do exist, what are the chances they would travel to earth? I mean, earth is but 1 out of 400 billion x 140 billions estimated planets in the universe.

I dont know, its just all too convenient for humans. The origin of the idea could have been from a group of people standing to benefit a great deal from the mass spread of the ideology.

Hello E.T, are you there?

Someone tell me what your take on this is .

ah-blabla

Reaction score
The chances are there is life spread all across the universe on multiple planets. What stage of development life there is is harder to answer, but it is likely that some life will be more advanced, but it is just as likely that we would be the most advanced life forms around. (Well, humans would be a rather poor most advanced life form, but it's possible.) Films are a load of codswallop anyway, so I wouldn't believe anything in them.

And BTW, the solar system only has about 8 planets, not particularly much. There are so many planets that the solar system isn't a good general example.

Regarding "aliens", what exactly are aliens? The aliens we imagine in films/books/etc. are very unlikely to exist.

techmunchies

Reaction score
The chances are there is life spread all across the universe on multiple planets. What stage of development life there is is harder to answer, but it is likely that some life will be more advanced, but it is just as likely that we would be the most advanced life forms around. (Well, humans would be a rather poor most advanced life form, but it's possible.) Films are a load of codswallop anyway, so I wouldn't believe anything in them.

And BTW, the solar system only has about 8 planets, not particularly much. There are so many planets that the solar system isn't a good general example.

Regarding "aliens", what exactly are aliens? The aliens we imagine in films/books/etc. are very unlikely to exist.
Yeah, I mean, these aliens could look like us, or not even resemble anthing we've ever encountered before (like beings made entirely out of oxygen, or light-based forms, etc.). Just one thing we need to keep in mind before contacting extra terrestrials. We humans believe in a religion, I myself am Roman Catholic, but if aliens do exist, this can challenge our religion. Because if God made everything in the universe, then everyone should know of his existence, in some shape, way or form, but if aliens have no idea, then couldn't this possibly contradict our views on religion and our belief?

seafury

Reaction score
Well, are intelligent life on earth?,

Last edited:

ah-blabla

Reaction score
Yeah, I mean, these aliens could look like us, or not even resemble anthing we've ever encountered before (like beings made entirely out of oxygen, or light-based forms, etc.). Just one thing we need to keep in mind before contacting extra terrestrials. We humans believe in a religion, I myself am Roman Catholic, but if aliens do exist, this can challenge our religion. Because if God made everything in the universe, then everyone should know of his existence, in some shape, way or form, but if aliens have no idea, then couldn't this possibly contradict our views on religion and our belief?
Many humans don't acknowledge God either, so it wouldn't be so great a problem. We would simply have the mission to make them aware of his existence, just like in the past and today missionaries spread Christianity. That's assuming we can even communicate with those life forms: today we can't even communicate with animals well, so other intelligent lifeforms would be a challenge (assuming they exist).

fractalfeline

Reaction score
Well, are intelligent life on earth?,

I love this :)

Ok, I'll play along. What is intelligence? Are humans intelligent life forms? Are humans the only intelligent life forms?

It kinda reminds me of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Cars are the dominant life form, mice are the most intelligent life form, dolphins second. And the ultimate answer to life, the universe, and everything has already been set forth: 42.

Oh, and our first contact will be with a race of bureaucrats who want to build an interstellar highway through our backwater part of the galaxy :)

techmunchies

Reaction score
Many humans don't acknowledge God either, so it wouldn't be so great a problem. We would simply have the mission to make them aware of his existence, just like in the past and today missionaries spread Christianity. That's assuming we can even communicate with those life forms: today we can't even communicate with animals well, so other intelligent lifeforms would be a challenge (assuming they exist).
It doesn't matter that many humans do not acknowledge God, the amount that do far outnumber those who don't. What about cultures/governments that exist from religion? (I think its called theocracy). If people kill themselves for a higher order or being they believe in, then what's to say there will not be total chaos if this factor were to be introduced?

You make a reference to the Christian Missionaries, but they were spreading the word of God, because it was believed that the others had deviated from God because they were blinded by the Devil, or something like that, cannot remember clearly. This is accounted for in the Bible, whereas "intelligent life elsewhere" is not accounted for. Remember in the Bible, God created Earth as a haven for Man, but it does not explain life elsewhere.

knockoutjams

Reaction score
I would like to believe that contact is inevitable.

However, when you look at the odds, it all leads one to think that we might just be only intelligent life form in the universe.

Suppose there were some other intelligent life form, how would we be able to identify it. I mean, who knows, maybe they have already made contact but we are too dumb or scientifically young to identify their form of contact as a beam of communication.

Suppose they could actually travel to earth, why would our planet be able to sustain them. Why not mars? In any case, if they had the technology to travel to earth then if they ever made any landing, I assure you it wouldnt be with good intent. Survival for the fittest remember? It would be more like, "hey guys, there's a little blue planet we could take from those primitive neanderthals and use as a trade stop in that galaxy"

Contact is possible. Who knows.