facebook apps

alcramer

Reaction score
Has anybody here created a facebook app? Can they direct me to some good intro info? I think I'm mainly interested in their "iframe" model. Are you using x10hosting to serve your app?

Thanks!
Al Cramer

alcramer

Reaction score
Thanks Subeesh! What's he's got looks interesting -- believe I'll message him.

Al Cramer
PS. Wish I lived in Kerala -- I've heard it's beautiful.

Nathan H

Reaction score
Facebook apps are really annoying to create, best thing to do is install the developer application and know what you want to do.
Some of the syntax is very similar to SQL statements and facebook also do some processing on their end, but mostly facebook is just a shell.
below is the link to my app, its really simple, but i leave it up because i know a few of my old work places that use the script ALOT.

http://mysweetlove.co.uk/NameProcessor/source.txt

xmakina

Reaction score
In those few lines you've explained more to me than the entire Facebook developer wiki. Cheers :)

Nathan H

Reaction score
Lol, the main problem with creating the applications is developing an interface between your script and the facebook server. thats why normally, very little information is used within the apps, normally just friends list, IDs and photos. The facebook API allows a person to interface with the facebook databases, but its usually best to only store the users ID number. This number is the unique identifier, and using this you can get just about everything else you need.

xmakina

Reaction score
I'm actually finding it quite enjoyable. Moment I saw that facebook handles the UID for the user I just modded my database design to allow for that. It's great, actually, as I don't have to worry about passwords/logins etc. as I'm very security conscious and my password algorithim was getting very hard to read :/

I've got the barebones up and running of my app, and your code helped immensely with understanding FBML :)

mraek

Reaction score
Hehe, just realised people are mentioning me. My Facebook app is here for anyone interested:
http://apps.new.facebook.com/gammonmania/

It uses Facebook's own twisted HTML (FBML) for most of it, which can be annoying as you can't use CSS or Javascript properly. Then the actual game runs in a separate frame like a normal Web app. From the frame Javascript runs normally but there can be problems accessing basic Facebook information like names.
These are the two modes they have in Facebook - FBML or frame - neither is particularly nice. I'd be happy to help anyone else working on this, like I did with AlCramer when he messaged me.