facebook apps

whitebus

Reaction score
is anybody here hosting a facebook app?

i've been working on a game concept for some time and i'm considering starting it out on facebook. looking for some tips and ideas (that aren't covered on the facebood dev forum)

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I have seen another user developing an app here recently, but I can't remember who. Try doing a search for "facebook" the post was maybe a week or two ago.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I was developing on, but I dropped it (I wasn't experienced enough, and didn't have time).

I used the demo as my starting point and added info around it. FBML is also really important.

whitebus

Reaction score
thanks, i'm comfortable enough with the php and sql. i guess i'll spend some time on the weekend going over the fbml. my eventual plan if for a mmorpg, but i thought the fb app would force me to get started on the structure... i'll just let it grow from there.

if you want to take a look at the original concept:
http://www.geocities.com/whitebus_ca/trantor/gfp/

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Wow, that's pretty ambitious. Just so you know, and I think that xav0989 had this problem, right now you cannot use fsockopen() to connect to facebook at all. In the future, you may be able to do this, but don't count on it. This feature will require php v3.

whitebus

Reaction score
yes, but then again, i have to do something when i retire. ;)

looking at the technical requirements, i think i'll have to use my isp as the host. no worries, i'll find another use for my x10 site. i'm thinking of using phpnuke as a development news portal, that i could host here.