Faster Wifi?

kim_foxx

Reaction score
I have broadband internet with Optus.
A few days ago I had a Motorola Modem and a Netgear WNR2000 Router.
The Wireless internet was not as fast and the wifi signal bars were not full I think about 4 so i decided to replace it with a newer Modem/Router in one that optus provided us with. It is a NETGEAR CVG824G
The wifi signal bars are at 1 or 2 now....
To have a faster internet connection I'm guessing I need another router with a larger wifi span is that correct?
Will i need to replace the modem as well or is the speed mainly capped at the router at the moment?
Also is there a router that you recommend and does the type of wireless card that I have installed on my computer affect this much?
The current card that I am using is a TP-LINK 300Mbps Wireless

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Before you get too far carried away with buying new gear, start by playing with the position of the router and the angle of the antenna. Radio signals bouncing around in a house/apartment are pretty complex, and moving the antenna(s) a measly few centimetres can often shift the "dead zones" around quite a bit. It could be that your computer's antenna is sitting neatly in a spot where the reflections of the router's signal just happen to be cancelling most of the main signal out. You can also try using a WiFi range extender (or two) to boost the signal to various areas of your place (basically, you put the extender somewhere where the signal is strong, and it will re-broadcast that signal into the weaker areas on a different channel and with different strong/dead zones because it's in a different location). If you are going to go with a different router, make sure it's one of the ones with more than one antenna. Again, the antennae are only a few centimetres apart, but that's all the difference you need to make sure that you're getting the strongest signal from the router (and that the router is getting the strongest signal from the remote computer).

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
That is correct. That's what the "repeater mode" is all about. Now, it can't actually be faster than the slowest of your router and WiFi card, but it will expand the range to the point where the only limit will be which piece of the system is slowest. (If everything is "N", the whole system will work at "N" speeds, or if the slowest piece is "G", you'll get "G" speeds, with only an extra couple of microseconds' delay -- that you won't notice -- for the signal to be repeated.)

kim_foxx

Reaction score
Thanks!!!!
One more questions.... If i get that Access Point do i wirelessly place it in another room or is it connected to the router with a cable and then placed in another room?

chatngox

Reaction score
If you have a router, you can place it anywhere and let your Laptop to detect. You can also install wireless card in to the Desktop.
Speed is depends on your wireless card on your Laptop/Desktop. If you have cable hooked up to your Laptop/Desktop you will get some speed increase.