Fav linux distro

Tyler

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I was wondering what everyones (if they have used linux) favorite distribution of linux is, and why

Thanks!

Tyler

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
im not a fan of having dual boot machines or a machine with any distro of linux purely installed.. i cant live without windows; my preferred distro is dvd-bootable knoppix.. only time i use it is for troubleshooting, or on library computers so i can bypass the default book catalogging system :D

Last edited:

swirly

Reaction score
i was looking for free linux or unix which is 2 diff things i believe...but i found a free linux thing and then i couldnt dl. it anyone know where i can get a free linux?

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
Fedora Core 5 :) i lived on fedora core 4 for about 1 month, until i had to install 3ds max to be able to work on my upcoming project. i like it better than all the others i've tried before... the only problem is how many disks it has, but to me that doesnt matter at all.

N

Nathan

swirly said:
i was looking for free linux or unix which is 2 diff things i believe...but i found a free linux thing and then i couldnt dl. it anyone know where i can get a free linux?

... 98% of all Linux distrobutions are free.

UNIX is the backbone of Linux by the way. 2 very different, but very similar operating systems. Linux was early 90's, UNIX was late 70's. UNIX is also text based, Linux has two main desktop enviroments. GNOME and K(DE).

elforo

Reaction score
got to be Fedora Core 5 mate....i used Fedora Core 3 for ages and thought it was brilliant...just switched to 5 today :D RPM's are brilliant time and headache saving :D

Richard

Reaction score
It depends really

For a business desktop SuSE is really great
For the serverI like to use Debian

And if you really into linux you run Debian (Sid aka Unstable)

Woolie

Reaction score
Well, I'm most used to Fedora 4, but I personally like Knoppix for just home use, no idea why.