Favorite Operating System

Which is your favorite operating system?

• Windows Vista

Votes: 18 15.1%
  • Windows XP

Votes: 46 38.7%
  • Windows 2000

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Windows Me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows 98

• Linux

Votes: 35 29.4%
  • Unix

• SunOS

• Mac

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 12 10.1%

• Total voters

Zangetsu

Reaction score
i would have to choose between two O.S.'s win XP and 98 why well becoase i have never had any problems with both of them i have tried vista and 9 out of ten times it wouldnt even set my resolution in the correct way and that stupid permission thingy who invented that in vista

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I had problems all the time with Windows 98 just deciding to randomly lock up and stop responding back when I had my very old computer. It was a system that was pretty fast for the time, and it shouldn't have locked up but all it took was one small program, and I had to Ctrl + Alt + Del two times or the reset button.

Sohail

Reaction score
I seem to be the only person voting for mac here xD! Well just so you all know, it's really good.

IonCannon218

Reaction score
Right, everyone I know thinks I'm a fanboy and should be shot because of my rather strong opinions in the OS world. But, my reasons are, as far as I can see, justified.

I've been a Windows user since I was 6. That's 8 years, by the way. My grandad built me a basic, but powerful enough PC back in 1999 - 2000 sort of time, with 32MB RAM, and it was running Windows 98, with a not-to-bad Pentium III, I think...bit of a long time ago.

Anyways that was the first computer I ever used. I was mesmorised by it, intrigued. It was pretty simple to pick up and I was using office applications and everything with pretty good knowledge of them in no time at all.

Then I learned about the Internet, from an AOL (yuck!) advert. I nagged my mum loads and eventually I got AOL dialup. Painfully slow, but it was enough, then. I wasn't using Azureus and DownThemAll back then.

One day when I came to use the computer to surf a bit, it was really slow, much more so than usual. I noticed weird things happen, popups would appear, which I now know to be adware. I got frustrated, but I formatted the PC under my grandad's supervision, and got it set up and running again in no time.

Then I upgraded.......no.......downgraded :p to Windows ME. At first, nothing was wrong and all went really well. But then I tried to install some new RAM, and got blue screens of death over and over. I tried to recover the system, and failed.

Recently (last couple of years), I've been looking into the power of the Linux desktop. I've used Ubuntu, Mandriva, Vector, and openSUSE, and I like them all. I do still use Vista and XP, but the eye candy in Vista sucks compared to that of compiz fusion in openSUSE. The system gets no malware, partly because not many use it (relativiely, that is) and it may have something to do with the secure shell everything runs in, I'm not a programmer so I couldn't tell you.

But to cut a long story short, Linux is customisable, pretty, and powerful, not to mention secure. Sure it can be a pain in the backside sometimes, but so can Windows and OS X.

Yes, I got a similar machine with a 550MHz Pentium III and 128MB RAM (I want more ram!). My dad installed XP, for some reason, on that old machine when it was new . Eventually, adware filled up the entire 30GB drive and slowed down the system badly.

When I deleted the XP partition (I needed the disk space) and installed Ubuntu on it, the speed was better compared to the ware-filled-XP. Later, I decided to install kubuntu (I used "sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop" to save time), KDE runs faster and is a lot better than GNOME. So I removed the GNOME related packages.

I recommend KDE if you want to use linux!

tittat

Reaction score
My favourite is Windows Vista.But iam now using Windows XP,as i do not have system requirements to upgrade to vista.

Last edited:

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I like Macs. They are simple.
Plus the start up backgrounds totally own window's wallpaper.
Although you may have to pay more money, it is dsfinitely worth it.
:)

Coldfirezz

Reaction score
Windows Vista only because It has the windows live feature that integrates your xbox live gamertag, email, instant messenger and so much more! If you have Vista and you don't use windows live I strong suggest you go check it out and get it! I love it and everyone I told to check it out ended up getting and loving it! But otherwise I hate Vista I would rather Windows Xp or Linux (Really want to get a computer just to mess around with Linux).

calvinvandermeer

Reaction score
I think that Vista is an okay operating system, and it runs fine on my new laptop. Everyone complains about the annoying dialogue buttons, but they really only show up a lot when you first get it and are making all of the changes to the system to get it just the way you want it. Visually, I think it is a step up from XP. Unfortunately, I have a friend who installed Vista on his old desktop and it was a nightmare. So if you are going to buy a new computer, go with Vista - It's not like you have a choice. Otherwise, leave whatever OS you are using on.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I think that Vista is an okay operating system, and it runs fine on my new laptop. Everyone complains about the annoying dialogue buttons, but they really only show up a lot when you first get it and are making all of the changes to the system to get it just the way you want it. Visually, I think it is a step up from XP. Unfortunately, I have a friend who installed Vista on his old desktop and it was a nightmare. So if you are going to buy a new computer, go with Vista - It's not like you have a choice. Otherwise, leave whatever OS you are using on.

Couldn't agree any more. I've been happy since I got Vista 6 months ago when I built my gaming computer, never given me any problem, except for the display driver freezing, but that was fixed oddly enough in some update.

Also, for anyone who doesn't want to get Vista, XP will only be in production for about another 2-3 months. Afterwards, you will no longer be able to get Windows XP disks once they sell out.

Last edited:

hopper

Reaction score
does ms-dos with windows 3.11 for workgroups count? :p
its the only windows OS i use regularly
i use linux primarily

whizzy

Reaction score
Windows 3.1 and Dos enviroment? wow...your oldskool :D
Vista for me so far, haven't tried W7 but keep hearing the same sh1t as i did when Vista and XP, and ME (although that really was crap), and 98 (which still is the best windows so far) came on the market, bet i will hear it when W8 comes out too.
Most haters really don't know what they talk about, either they are Linux for life (or Mac) or just don't have the dough to upgrade their crappy ME and think every Windows is like that.

try before you diss any OS.
Mac: used it when the first iMacs came on the market (those bubbles remember?) but it didn't work for me as gamer (no titles you know)
Linux: great, but i am not into building a GUI myself

if i remember correctly their was also something called FreeOS, don't know if it still exists though

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I must say Windows 7 and Ubuntu flavors. I love Windows 7 because it works well, and it looks nice. But I also like Ubuntu flavors because of what Linux enables you to do.

wongers

Reaction score
im with Linux - Ubuntu distro for day to day use and Windows 7 for gaming. yes windows 7 is new and having teething problems as always windows releases do but its everything vista should of been (personally i think vista is one of the worst windows have released)

if all else fails, XP is probably the best all rounder really lets face it :)

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I use Fedora core 12 and Windows XP in lab

Fedora Core 12 and Windows 7 professional in my PC.

Mostly I like working on Fedora for my research purpose and for general purpose on windows 7.

Last edited: