feedback appreciated for www.happystove.com

tittat

Reaction score
Your site looks nice.But you should work on your CSS, i think its not a good idea to make your whole text red.Red is not good for my eyes.
Good luck :)

saif7463

Reaction score
Overall, I like the layout! It's very clean, simple, and organised. The ad placement works well as it does not distract from the contents of the page.

However, the site could use some work in the following areas:
  1. I think it would look better if you got the Google Ads to align at the bottom of the page, instead of the bottom of the content. Though, I suppose the closer it is to your content, the more likely someone will click it.
  2. Also, I notice that you have the font set to 12px. Consider using a font size relative to the users preferred size: xx-small, x-small, medium, large, x-large, xx-large, smaller, or larger. That way, if someone has trouble reading the site tries to enlarge the size of the text, they actually will be able to. Personally for me, red Times New Roman at 12px is not pleasant to the eye! :p
  3. For pages with multiple recipes, consider having a list at the top of all the recipes on that particular page with anchors to jump to that particular recipe. For example, on the Tramezzini page.
  4. On pages like Appetizers, I think it would look better if you had less space between the short paragraph and the "Browse all the recipes in this section:" section.
  5. On links, especially on the menus, going from bold to italic bothers me. Perhaps if the text got bigger, or became underlined, it would fit better.
  6. The about us and contact us pages could use some work! ;)
I'm a newbie designer, so don't take all my criticisms heavily!

happyinla

Reaction score
It took all day, but finally I'm done (for now)

Thanks a lot for your suggestions! Really helpful!

So, briefly:

1) Less red... I care about your eyes :biggrin:

2) List at the top for pages with multiple recipes: mission accomplished! :cool:

3) Menu. done. Even his mother can't recognize him anymore!

4) Changed colors here and there in the section pages

5) Added tools to digg, print, email and whatever you want to do... anyway, I can't yet make him ironing yet :biggrin:

What is missing and I agree:

1) text size and other css stuffs

For the blank space in appetizers, I personally like it!

Any chance you can take a look now instead of going dancing and have fun? Pleeeeeeeaseeeeeee :biggrin:

PS: Any more suggestions?
PPS: take a look on the 404 page www.happystove.com/grnvfjnjsd.php and the 403 http://www.happystove.com/recipes/ Those are my masterpieces!

happyinla

Reaction score
Added Terms of Service and updated the Contact Us page

Last edited:

marasm

Reaction score
You should think about making the logo smoother - its edges look terrible now.

And the font should be a little bit bigger probably - I have pretty good sight and I'm tired after reading first 2 lines (I use Opera 10).

Anyway, pretty good layout. I like the simplicity.

The last thing is number of request - 30 request (at homepage) is a little too much as for such a simple page - it loads about 4-5 seconds for me. You should consider using css sprites ( http://css-tricks.com/css-sprites/ ) or some other techniques of reducing requests number.

Cheers,
Maras

happyinla

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback,

Following your suggestion, I looked how the logo appears in many browsers.
In IE, Firefox, Chrome and Safari (that are sharing about 97% of the market) the logo looks just fine. I saw that in Opera it looks a little bit edgy as the ones of many other websites with Opera.
I am willing to look into it later. It is good I know the issue at least.

I did change font size, color and style. What do you think, is it better now?

About the layout I am glad you like it. Simplicity and usability are what I am looking for.

I also did some tests about the loading speed... You are right. I will work on it tomorrow and I will let you know the results.
This is the detail of the requests for the main page of my website:
http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/?url=www.happystove.com/&id=1226512
Now it takes 2.2 seconds to load with 30 requests.

In addition, I am thinking of replacing all tables in the page with divs.
Do you think it will help?

Thanks again, I will keep you update!

happyinla

Reaction score
I took me a while but I'm back. I was trying to add database functionality to my website (mysql) so I was just focusing on that.

Because of that, had to change a little bit how the pages look.

Problems that I'm aware:

- Some errors in the code...I will fix them

- Loading time. I think i cannot avoid to use the css-sprites. I will try to figure it out as soon as I have a few moments, how to implement it.

- There are still some things missing, so the home page will change a little bit in the future.

Any other issue you can see, beside those problems I've yet figured out?

Thanks for any feedback :)

gptsven

Reaction score
Uhm, The logo image is not sharp enough ... edges arent smooth and it looks like you have cut out the image using the magic wand tool in photoshop, without smudging it in ...

goldy1

Reaction score
Overall, I like it. The first thing that caught my eye was
We think everyone deserve an Happy Stove
Make the AN -> a

Other than that, I love it

playminigames

Reaction score
i think the site is really good, but the logo still looks a little edgy, thats it great job and hope to see it develop farther!

Good Luck happyinla!

Last edited:

satbir

Reaction score
Very nice sober design.
Very clean
Nicely arranged
Easy to view
Nice logo
Good Domain name....

happyinla

Reaction score
Thank you all for the flattering reviews :)

I will try to work on the logo in the next days. Hopefully I can make a better one without awful edges!!!

happyinla

Reaction score
Update: I just changed the logo. Hopefully this time will be displayed in a better way.

Let me know what do you think of it!

Thanks!