Feedback on concept

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

The idea:
take information from an RSS feed, and provide place where readers can add own comments relating to the story. Eventualy the plan being that registered users would get individual custom signature tags showing some form of user voted 'kudos' score.

Still working on the code behind the screen and what there is visible remains fairly basic and more than a little buggy. It uses Yahoo pipes to proces and sort the feeds unfortunately this does mean it only updates every thirty minutes on the plus side it saves having to write all the code for processing the RSS feeds server side. With a few alterations it could even run from a free hosting account because yahoo pipes can be invoked with client side javascript.

What do you think ? -> hit, miss or dead duck?
http://bishop.comxa.com/e6_epsilon/index.php or click the image above

Last edited:

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The site is fine.But it is about an RSS site with links to the articles.Fine according to rules of X10
But I sense a low CTR as the adsense ads are isolated out of context coloured.
If you want a better ctr,definitely you should use leaderboard at the top of first article and a large rectangle above comments.
Then blend them with the CSS of the site.
The concept is nice and fine.
Regards,
VVBB

edmund81

Reaction score
At the top of my browser (Chrome) it says '?php require_once('top_menu.php'); ?> -->', so you might need to edit the code to get that to disappear.

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hmm interesting quirk thrown up by chrome there.

Not going to be a problem, template is otherwise fine that SSI was commented out for testing the demo.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It's not just a quirk of Chrome -- you have <!-->?php require_once('top_menu.php'); ?> (instead of <!--<?php require_once('top_menu.php'); ?>) and Chrome is (I believe correctly) reading <!--> as a unary comment tag. What use there may be in a unary comment tag (it is legal and defined, but I'll be consigned to a dark place it I know what it's for) is a whole different question, of course, and we'd need to take that up with the SGML people.