Feedback on my new site logo

gameaddict2085

Prime Account
Reaction score
I've updated my logo for thefreegamesdb.com and it'll go live when we have moved domain to tfgdb.com. I'm crap at design so go easy on me :D

NewLogo.png
What do you think?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The "db" (and the controller) is suitably retro and reminds me of a time when Atari was king, but the upper-case "F" just doesn't fit. (I know, you didn't design the font.) What I would suggest doing is making it a more ordinary gothic (sans-serif) "F" by erasing the curved parts and replacing them with straight lines (or edit the shape if you're working in vector format). Use the max width of the "G" as a measure of how long you'd want the upper cross-piece to be. That will allow the "G" to kern in neatly under the upper cross-piece. One of the deals with logos is that the fonts you use are usually just a starting point; you need to worry more about the internal consistency of the logo than about the consistency of the overall typeface. (There are no Bs, Ps, Rs or Js to balance the F off against, so make it a match for what is there instead of for what isn't.)

(I'm not a fan of the colour either, but that might change dramatically in the context of the page design.)

gameaddict2085

Prime Account
Reaction score
I agree the F does look massively out of place.
I'll get my new site up soon and hopefully I can get some feedback on colors
Thanks again for the feedback :)

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
There's nothing to see just at the moment; all of the files other than index.php (including images and stylesheets) are redirecting to a "Updates on the way" page.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yep. In that display context, I'd let the background colour of the logo get considerably lighter — just the palest hint of blue will keep it visually separated from the white in the joystick and make it fit better with the rest of the menu bar.

gameaddict2085

Prime Account
Reaction score
Ok, I've updated the logo, done some minor color changes and updated the menu.
Feedback on the site, logo and new menu bar would be much appreciated :)

taylorx1

Reaction score
It matches the theme of the site, which appears to be a retro styled site. Probably just me, but when I was younger and went to game sites, a good, clean design was a big turn on for me; and the sites which looked old were turn-offs. Just my opinion though.