Final Fantasy XIII coming to Xbox 360

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Final Fantasy XII coming to Xbox 360.
finalfantasyxiii01bn4.jpg

Sorry, Sony. The Xbox 360 is finally going to get a blockbuster RPG. Square has announced at the Microsoft press conference that Final Fantasy XIII is going to be released on Xbox 360 the same day as PS3 in North America and Europe. What a huge coup for Microsoft, and what a great piece of news for Xbox 360 owners who also happen to be great console RPG lovers.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/14/final-fantasy-xiii-coming-to-xbox-360/
This was quite a shock to many PS3 fanboys. Thoughts?

nexhunter

Reaction score
That is awesome when i was watching g4's coverage of the microsoft press conference it like microsoft had g4 place there camera at a special angle to not see it directly i was like what in the world are they doing, but then when the president of square enix announced that final fantasy 13 will be coming to the 360 i was thinking man that was the best kept secret ever and an awesome one, but sony probably gonna do something crazy today.

D

Deathvalley122

sweet when is the release date on the new Final Fantasy for 360?

shadowlusterx

Reaction score
It's going to end up failing. How are they going to port something that should have been near 50gb to 8gb. And I doubt that the 360 will be able to handle it fully. Thankgod there not working on both of them and downscaling both, they'll finish the PS3 version first and then begin 360 development, so hopefully the PS3 version will survive at it's full potential.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It's going to end up failing. How are they going to port something that should have been near 50gb to 8gb. And I doubt that the 360 will be able to handle it fully. Thankgod there not working on both of them and downscaling both, they'll finish the PS3 version first and then begin 360 development, so hopefully the PS3 version will survive at it's full potential.

They'll be on multiple discs and they are developing them at the same time. The development tools used are very robust and can handle the development across multiple platforms which means both games will be exactly the same.

Last edited:

mad4chan

Reaction score
First the Xbox 360 gets Lost Odyssey by Hironobu Sakaguchi, the guy who created Final Fantasy, and made FF 1 - 8, and . Now it also gets FF13. It's really really good news. It's definitely going to have to be on multiple disks like Lost Odyssey. I'm still playing Lost Odyssey right now, and it's amazing. I was thinking I would have to get the PS3 later to get my old school RPG fix, but now I don't think I have to. I still got 2 disks of Lost Odyssey to go, then there's Tales of Vesperia almost out. Plus I can go back and pick up Blue Dragon, or Eternal Sonata if I'm disparate lol.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
First the Xbox 360 gets Lost Odyssey by Hironobu Sakaguchi, the guy who created Final Fantasy, and made FF 1 - 8, and . Now it also gets FF13. It's really really good news. It's definitely going to have to be on multiple disks like Lost Odyssey. I'm still playing Lost Odyssey right now, and it's amazing. I was thinking I would have to get the PS3 later to get my old school RPG fix, but now I don't think I have to. I still got 2 disks of Lost Odyssey to go, then there's Tales of Vesperia almost out. Plus I can go back and pick up Blue Dragon, or Eternal Sonata if I'm disparate lol.

Also Square is making Star Ocean: The Last Hope, Infinite Undiscovery, and the Last Remnant for the 360. More old school RPGs.http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/06/10/star-ocean-4-ps3-release-suspect

Spritey

Reaction score
T'is a good year to have an Xbox and be an RPG fan, that's all I can say.

skai123

Reaction score
They'll be on multiple discs and they are developing them at the same time. The development tools used are very robust and can handle the development across multiple platforms which means both games will be exactly the same.

They are not developing it at the same time. Also they Crystal Engine was developed especially for the PS3.

Also Square is making Star Ocean: The Last Hope, Infinite Undiscovery, and the Last Remnant for the 360. More old school RPGs.

Star Ocean and Last Remnant will come to PS3 eventually the only game that is not timed exclusive is Undiscovery.

T'is a good year to have an Xbox and be an RPG fan, that's all I can say.

Why? FF13 isnt even coming out this year. And FFvs13 is still PS3 exclusive.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
They are not developing it at the same time. Also they Crystal Engine was developed especially for the PS3.

They are using Crystal Tools which is a tool used to make games on various hardware. Final Fantasy 13 is being developed for the PC format first and foremost.

But you're right, they are completing the PS3 version first in Japan. They will however be developing the 360 version after that which will basically be done since Final Fantasy 13's development platform was the PC and as everyone knows, developing for the 360 is very similar to developing for the PC.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/14/final-fantasy-xiii-xbox-360-development-coming-after-ps3-versio/

Star Ocean and Last Remnant will come to PS3 eventually the only game that is not timed exclusive is Undiscovery.

So?

skai123

Reaction score
They are using Crystal Tools which is a tool used to make games on various hardware. Final Fantasy 13 is being developed for the PC format first and foremost.

The Crystal Tool was changed from the White Engine which was specificly developed for the PS3...

1UP: Can you discuss the process of developing the game's engine -- as it evolved from the White Engine into Crystal Tools, did everything go as planned, or were there some bumps along the way?

YK: I'd say that it's on schedule as we'd originally planned, but it certainly hasn't been easy, and it's been quite a time-consuming process. Final Fantasy XIII currently functions in all the basic ways, but we're still working to polish the engine. People may be under the impression that it's a total package that only needs to be tweaked a little bit in order to port the game to 360, but that's not the case -- we still have to fix it to make it more platform-specific.

Last edited:

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The Crystal Tool was changed from the White Engine which was specificly developed for the PS3...

1UP: Can you discuss the process of developing the game's engine -- as it evolved from the White Engine into Crystal Tools, did everything go as planned, or were there some bumps along the way?

YK: I'd say that it's on schedule as we'd originally planned, but it certainly hasn't been easy, and it's been quite a time-consuming process. Final Fantasy XIII currently functions in all the basic ways, but we're still working to polish the engine. People may be under the impression that it's a total package that only needs to be tweaked a little bit in order to port the game to 360, but that's not the case -- we still have to fix it to make it more platform-specific.

It still doesn't change what Square Enix exec Shinji Hashimoto said so I don't know what you're trying to prove.