finding a program...

pasawayz

Reaction score
Um... just to ask if there's a program that detects if a program is connecting to the internet and where it is connecting to. Just want to find out if there's something running in my computer and I want to find out why is my computer always asking for an internet connection.

pasawayz

Reaction score
hmm... seems like there's no such software like that... or was my description awkward?

Articz

Reaction score
yea i used to get the same problem b4 i got broadband. dont know how you can stop it. and i dont know of any software that does what you want sorry

NewFuture

Reaction score
on the task bar there might be a icon near the internet connection tab, my msn if i dont disconnect trys to gain access to net, u scanned for spyware, viruses, sometimes they want access

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
I used to use Tiny Personal Firewall by Tiny Software(www.tinysoftware.com), and it had a "Activity Monitor" that would show you all the open connections through the firewall. You would have to download and install the firewall to get the Activity Monitor, but it's worth a shot.

Also, if you type 'netstat' into a Command Prompt in windows, you can see all the active connections through your network interface. It only lists the Protocol, Local and Foreign Addresses and state, but it could be a good place to start.

michaelp

Reaction score
1. scan for viruses
2. scan for spyware and adware
3. disable auto-connecting ( Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Internet Options > click on Connections tab > select your dial-up connection > choose option = NEVER DIAL A CONNECTION

And you can (optional) download ANTI DIALER PROGRAM

If this post help you plz incerase my reputation! :cat:

pasawayz

Reaction score
michaelp said:
1. scan for viruses
2. scan for spyware and adware
3. disable auto-connecting ( Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Internet Options > click on Connections tab > select your dial-up connection > choose option = NEVER DIAL A CONNECTION

And you can (optional) download ANTI DIALER PROGRAM

i always do that. I use zonealarm just in case of a hacking attempt

prithvi

Reaction score
Use ZoneAlarm, it's very reliable.
Configure the 'alerts' settings for better security.

And if u r using Win XP with SP2, keep your Windows firewall enabled.

Ben Bexton

Reaction score
Yeah use Zonealarm it's really good, can eat at resources at times but apart from that I can't find a porblem. As for Windows firewall... the point of that is??? If someones trying to hack into your computer and all you have is that they'd have a laughing fit. Ummmm i wonder if Microsoft use that firewall??? lol
Kind Regards
Ben

Matt

Reaction score
i think it was dsfreak you was offering custom programming. i think he might be able to program something like that. heck, he could probably sell it since it would be a unique program.

saffron02

Banned
Reaction score
Start up method for most software... hit the start menu go to run then type "regedit"
press enter on the Hkeys do this for both current and local... on the left go through these fodlers.... Software,microsoft,windows,current version, and now u see folders that say "run" look in all of them "runservices" if u have it is when ur computer is online it opens those programs. "run" is usally where alot of prorgams start up when windows starts. Make sure u know what u deltet to the right when u click the run folder... i can not stress enough this is the backbone of ur computer..lol well this is off the top of my head so enjoy if ur onfused think harder and spend time with it. also u can go to add remove programs to look for adware that tried to acess the internet. u could get a firewall also and make it listen on port 80 to see. sometimes prorgams listen on port 80 to go through firwalls..lol just another random thought late