firefox vs. ie (not really much competition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Microsoft's always releasing updates for IE via Windows Update. There's no point giving major version numbers to minor changes.....

deaddevil

Reaction score
I agree but maybe they cannot help it.
I use Internet Explorer and Firefox both but i feel comfortable using INternet explorer even though firefox is better, the only thing it does it that I used IE much before I got in touch with firefox.

xflarex

Reaction score
@deaddevil
so you're saying is that you feel more comfortable using internet explorer, because you have been using it longer and you're familiar with it. i think that that is the best defense i have read so far

sirax

Reaction score
i hate IE, thats why i use fire fox for that reason =)

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
To the three responses above: Why?

Can't just hate an app for no reason....

mattura

Reaction score
MY grandad uses and like IE because he doesn't like change! It's what came with his computer and he's used to it!
I also know one person who swears IE is better than firefox.
The 'new tab' point is a good one, but Ctrl+T is not hard either.
I'd say when you have firefox set up exactly as you want it, it's much better (I have mouse gestures, firebug, fireftp, greasemonkey, quite a few other add ons), and easier to browse. But without all the customisability, the two browsers are pretty much the same (unless you publish web sites, in which case you automatically hate IE for not following standards ;) )

theparadesquare

Reaction score
Firefox is much better because it's more customisable and more secure, although i do useIE7 most because in my workplace this is all they have

eminemix

Reaction score
I am using Firefox 3.0 Alpha 8 right now.
And this forums page loads 5 times faster than IE.
( IE gets stuck for one second or too for each Google AD )

Thewinator

Reaction score
But without all the customisability, the two browsers are pretty much the same

Are you kidding me?
They are nothing alike, most webdesigners go through hell to make it seem that way.
The fact is, IE comes pre installed. If every single user had to chose a browser with their os. IE would no longer be supported by the majority of websites.
But since it comes with windows the majority will just be too lazy or gotten used to IE to even think of changing browser.
That means big company sites will have to support IE.

We website publishers should start a rebelion. Refuse IE users on your sites.

The initaitive from mozilla to beat IE on its own territory is in my opinion the best developement ever in the browser wars.

Last edited:

xflarex

Reaction score
@thewinator
those are some good points, and firefox is slowly becoming a free option to get with your operating system in company (unfortunately very slowly).

even though i like the idea of making web pages not compatible with internet explorer, ie supporters may do the same and we will have internet hell. no thx

philt

Reaction score
even though i like the idea of making web pages not compatible with internet explorer, ie supporters may do the same and we will have internet hell. no thx

surely no developers actually like ie!? when you have your site working fine in firefox, safari and opera there's usually still something not displaying correctly in ie. ie seems to love rendering things its own way. thats my reason for not using ie (except for testing purposes). until ie is as standards compliant as the other main browsers I won't even consider using it for my main browser. besides that firefox has a ton of themes and ad ons that are very useful.. its extremely customisable.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Firefox still fails the Acid2 test; as far as I know, the only one that passes it is Konqueror on KDE, and maybe Opera also now. But... They aren't really 'real-world' tests. And IE has always been a de-facto standard.

DarkDragonLord

Reaction score
FF is teh best but i've noticed something:

in old PC's, IE pwns in the start. FF takes TOO LONG to start running while IE quite fast.

ryoko126

Reaction score
That may be true, but the fact that, as for me personally, Firefox comes with so many plugins and options to make it a no-hassle browser, although I do miss the Favorites on the left side... But that's a minor complaint.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
The plugin for IE called IE7pro seems to do everything I'd ever look for in firefox.

Muramasa

Reaction score
I haven't used Firefox regularly in quite a while and I would never use FF over IE if I had a choice.

There were times when I've used FF for it's security while browsing some pretty **** sites, but I'm done with that. I've learned more and I'm able to browse without having to rely on FF's security.

I just looked at the process list, and my current version of FF runs with ~22mb of memory used while IE (it's IE6) runs with only ~16mb. My current computer is pretty outdated, so the lower memory usage is noticable.

I don't like IE7 (assuming that's the version currently being used in my school), though. It felt like using something just as bulky as FF.

Programs are losing the simple look (solid, grey menus and bars), which I don't like. They're getting too much of a "user-friendly" look to them.

All of the add-ons and such aren't really a necessity, or even much of a convenience, to me, either. It's just more clutter.

The security from FF isn't even really needed. I've been using IE6 for a while now (with the updater turned off), and I haven't had any "virus" problems. I think it's just the lack of knowledge of the user that makes them think FF is more secure.

The tab thing, I don't like it. I'd much rather have the page open in a new window than a tab. I'm much more accustomed to clicking down on the taskbar or "alt+tab"ing to change which page I'm viewing.

IE6 > FF > IE7

FF > IE7 only because the Final Fantasy is alright.

reichiru

Reaction score
Man, and here I am still stuck with IE6. I DO have Firefox installed on my computer (for some odd reason), but I've gotten so used to using IE that I almost never use Firefox. Most people at my school tend to use Firefox though, so I assume there's better things about it than IE?

Status
Not open for further replies.