First attempt

paularm

Reaction score
This is my first proper attempt at making a website: http://cricketshop.bigsix.x10hosting.com/index.php

There isn't meant to be real content such as a title because it's more of a template
The pics aren't that great. (made by myself without photoshop)

but I was wondering how else I could improve it.

Last edited:

xvalnar

Reaction score
Well :
Header Image is to to big, it don´t got the same width as the overall page body
The Things: Account Login,Reg,Basket are offsetted
the last picture is also not anymore in the content body but nvm
overall the theme looks boring to me and whould lead me to buy ANYTHIGN at all from a shop website like that as already the design looks to me so bad that i whouldn´t think my money go where it should and i whould have doubts getting the stuff i buyed

so i whould suggest using first a other theme and let it look more intresting
and next time whne you show just a template like now fill in the content with lorem ipsum(random text)
can be generated here http://www.lipsum.com/ to see how it looks with written content

hope it helped you to improve the website

EDIT:

As i can see don´t forget to edit your mainpage a little bit,too ;) i whould suggest making a theme you use for both

Last edited:

dpilmore

Reaction score
i totally agree with the post above.
the theme really needs livening up, add some colour and maybe some decals
but i do have to admit its not too bad for a first try.

Zenax

Reaction score
Hey,

For a first try attempt this website is actually quite good. I remember my first website when I first started designing websites, it looked something like that as well. Web design is like anything else, the more you practice it, the better you are going to get at it.

In order to improve the website, there are several things that you could do, one of the main things is to completly re-design the website. First things first is to get a sheet of A4 paper and sketch out how you would like the website to look, where you want content to go etc. Also include the sort of colours that you would like to use, and google all the HTML colorurs so you know what to use later on.

The next step is to start designing. I think the first step is to design your images first and then go onto coding the web page itself. In my oppinion you need to use something more professional for your images, such as Adobe Photoshop or Coral Draw or Paintshop Pro (my favourite being Photoshop)

Once you have a vague idea of where everything can go and you have made your images, you can now go onto creating the code for the website. When you first start to code the website, I would suggest you start with the styling. Depending on what web editor you are using depends on how you go about this. If you are using Dreamweaver then you can just create a blank stylesheet. However if you are using something like notepad to write your code then you will have to save it with the .css extension.

After all of that all you have to do is write the HTML code and everything should then fall into place. If you are struffling with any of it all you have to do is to google for HTML tutorials or CSS tutorials and there are plenty of websites out there that can help you.

If you don't feel like completly re-designing the website, then there are other ways in which you could improve the website that you have already built. First being making sure that you are consistent through out the website by making sure that you use the same fonts all the way throughout the website. Another thing is to change the colour scheme slightly to brighten it up and to add more content.

If you want any help then please do feel free to message me or to post here on the forums and me and the other members will be happy to help.

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Try replacing test with ODI, ashes is imp but ODI colors will give you more contrast in your template. I'm thinking about dark green color of Ausi with red background or yellow color with black background

paularm

Reaction score
thanks xvalnar,
it's not actually my shop btw just making if for fun. Although I could give it to a shop.