Fix corrupted Hal.dll - Windows Xp

lair360

Reaction score
Version: 43.4
Revision: 54 Build 122

Fix corrupted Hal.dll - Windows Xp

Introduction:
if your Windows Xp cannot find the file called: hal.dll, your operating system will trigger error message telling you that the important file was damaged, corrupted or deleted for a number of reasons. To solve this issues, please read this guide carefully...

Part One: use windows Xp CD to execute "recovery console"
----------------------------------------------
1.] Boot your computer with Microsoft Windows XP CD.

Notes: If you don’t have a copy of “Microsoft Windows XP CD”, or if the computer you are working on does not have a CD drive, you can boot from a set of Windows XP Bootable disks. You can download a copy from this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994/en-us

2.] When the system boots, you will be presented with a screen that gives you three choices…

a.] To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
b.] To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
c.] To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Notes: Press the [R] button on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.

3.] When you reach the command prompt, you'll need to type in your administrator password.
But, for the default password, just leave it blank and hit "Enter" on your keyboard.

4.] Type in the following commands...

5.] Type "bootcfg /list" (without the quotes) to show the current entries in the "boot.ini" file.

6.] Now, type "bootcfg /rebuild" (without the quotes) to repair the boot file.

7.] Take out the cd-rom and type: "exit" (without the quotes).

8.] Reboot your computer.

8.] Finish!

Advice: if your operating systems is still telling you that your hal.dll is damaged, corrupted or deleted for a number of reasons. I would recommend you to continue with "Part Two"...

Part Two: use windows Xp CD to repair to recover corrupted files
----------------------------------------------
1.] Boot your computer with Microsoft Windows XP CD.

Notes: If you don’t have a copy of “Microsoft Windows XP CD”, or if the computer you are working on does not have a CD drive, you can boot from a set of Windows XP Bootable disks. You can download a copy from this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994/en-us

2.] When the system boots, you will be presented with a screen that gives you three choices…

a.] To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
b.] To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
c.] To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Notes: Press the [R] button on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.

3.] When you reach the command prompt, you'll need to type in your administrator password.
But, for the default password, just leave it blank and hit "Enter" on your keyboard.

4.] Type in the following commands...

Code:
expand x:\i386\hal.dl_  y:\windows\system32\hal.dll

Notes: In the above example "X", this would be the letter of your CD-ROM drive and "Y" would be the letter of the drive your operating system is installed on.

Example:
Code:
expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll

Notes: If you're prompted to overwrite the file, press Y

5.] Take out the cd-rom and type: "exit" (without the quotes).

6.] Reboot your computer.

7.] Problem resolved!

Copyrighted by Lair360

archianabhishek

Reaction score
I m getting error "hal.dll missing or corrupted" whenever i try to install win xp on my laptop having vista preinstalled.the messg comes just after the system reboots after copying the setup files during xp setup.i did the above steps.but still getting the same error..can u please suggest me some other way to solve my problem.

lair360

Reaction score
Hi! Thanks for the reply! Well...the procedure above is only designed for windows XP.
But, for windows Vista, the Hal.dll has a different file sigature (with the same name).

1.] Try this and see if it fix...(use it in recovery console)

chkdsk drive /p /r

Notes: I'll try to figure a way around Vista.
Please try my suggestion first...

serman007

Reaction score
As error "missing or corrupt hal.dll", it appears a little way with the listing being the most common:
When the file <Windows Root> \ system32 \ hal.dll is missing or damaged, Windows can not start. Thank you to reinstall a copy of the file below. :rolleyes:

• "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file."
• "<Winnt_root>\System32\Hal.dll missing or corrupt:
Please re-install a copy of the above file."
• "Cannot find \Windows\System32\hal.dll"
• "Cannot find hal.dll"

the next tips and tricks at : http://pctipstrucs.org/fix-pc/item/36-how-to-fix-missing-hall-dll :redface: