Flash + HDD = ?

neverlate2day

Reaction score
Right now none can tell, who will win the fight between flash and Hdd.
I feel neither. They both will be replaced by another type of memory.
Most will agree with me; currently solid state disks seems ideally poised,
buts lets discuss other alternatives on this thread

I feel a potential candidate is MRAM
MRAM is Magnetoresistive Random Access Memory
It a non-volatile computer memory (NVRAM) technology
Read more on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRAM

What do u feel?
Please post on this thread!

Last edited:

ASPX.King

Reaction score
i honestly don't know, and i don't really care... what will win is what will win. it's not like speculation will make a difference...

DragonMaster

Reaction score
Well, HDDs are cheaper, have more available space and transfer rates are quite high.

Flash costs a lot to perform as fast as an HDD and space isn't that great.

There are RAM-based HDDs that use a battery backup in case of power failure, but the only affordable model that exists is limited to 4GB max. The OS boots a few orders of magnitude faster though.

If flash keeps going cheaper and better, it surely will beat the hard disk drive.

But, with inventions like memristors and MRAM, who knows?

ASPX.King

Reaction score
flash is slower because of usb, if flash uses internal IDE then it would be much faster
usb 3 will also fix that, it's still underway though...

also flash is rapidly getting bigger and cheaper, two years ago you could get a 128MB USB key, now you can get a 2GB for the same price.

I think that first flash memory will replace CDs and DVDs, by getting a super-cheap read-only version...

okay, i just said in my last post that speculation won't make any difference, but now i'm speculating...

Last edited:

DragonMaster

Reaction score
I think we were not talking about USB flash here but SSD drives (That's simply flash memory in an hard disk drive form factor and using IDE or SATA connections)

SSD is faster than USB drives because they put the flash chips in parallel (mostly with more expensive models though). Otherwise, flash is slooowwww. USB isn't the limiting factor with flash USB keys. It's just that they're compact and use one or two flash chips.

As for read-only memory, flash ROM is, by definition, readable and writable. OTP ROMs existed for a long time before, think about your video game cartridges.

Anyways, with wireless Internet getting available everywhere, what will replace CDs and DVDs isn't solid state memory, you're going to download everything instead.

also flash is rapidly getting bigger and cheaper, two years ago you could get a 128MB USB key, now you can get a 2GB for the same price.
In 2005, I bought my 256MB key cheap for $50. Now, I can buy a 16GB SDHC card for $65.

neverlate2day

Reaction score
I think that first flash memory will replace CDs and DVDs, by getting a super-cheap read-only version...
But i honestly would like to know if any you were proprietary software vendors would you like selling your products on flash memory

Optical media is here to stay.....
Why was HD-DVD vs BluRay a rage if they are going to get replaced

If flash gets super-cheap
Then optical media will get the cheapest

I'm not flaming at ASPX.King
but if he feels flash is getting cheap i feel optical media is getting even cheaper

Last edited: