Flight Plan Database - Reviews Welcome

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
My site has been up and running for a while now and I thought it was about time that I got your opinions on how it could be improved. Rather than a full site review, I just need a review on my current project and the main feature of my site - the Flight Plan Database. It is essentially a resource for flight sim fans to share and view a free database of user submitted flight plans. It is centralised around the X-Plane flight sim, but there is the option to export to FS .pln format or Google Earth .kml. Currently the database is home to more than 2000 plans and new features are being added progressively, allowing for public review and suggestions. It is the result of many, many hours of graphical design and coding, so I hope it has paid off. I am open to whatever you have to say. However, I am aware of a few things that are already on my to-do list, namely:
  • A Nicer Background
  • Layout issues in popups
  • ...a couple more less significant points
So, please take a look and tell me what you think.

P.S The final thing that I ask is that, if there are any members here who run a copy of FS, could you try exporting and loading a plan from the database, as the export to FS function still needs to be certified working (it was only finished about 30 mins ago). I am willing to pay 100 credits to the first report of FS functionality and 50 to the most helpful review posted.

webicon.png

freecrm

Reaction score
Really slick!

I personally like fixed elements in a page, although many don't! I wonder how it parses in IE6? Hmmm...

You're right about the background - too cartoony.

I don't get any popups so I can't comment here.

The first comment I would have (and this is being really picky) is the use of black on your main right div's. I think, bearing in mind the coloring of the rest of the page, this is a little too harsh. How about a eally dark, greyish blue. This shouldn't take too long to try?

The other comment was the design of the clipboard. It too looks very cartoony, although if its about sims, this possibly isn't a bad thing.

I'm viewing in IE7 on 1024 x 768, and the layout is perfect - no bugs at all. How does it re-size for larger res? or is it a fixed width wrapper?

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion. I'm glad you like it.
When you are talking about the black being too harsh, which parts are you specifying? The font or the outlines?
I don't get any popups so I can't comment here.
If you click 'Upload' you will see one, unless there is a bug with IE not showing the popups? They are not the traditional new-window popups, just a div that appears over the top of the content with a close button.
The background I intend to tone down a little, but maintaining the same core idea, unless you have a better idea for a background that matches the website's intentions. I could redo the clipboard, but I think it compliments the otherwise minimal outlines in grey of the content. It adds a little colour in contrast to the blue. I'll experiment with some other icon ideas, perhaps there is one that is more suited.
In terms of scaleability, it will remain centered at any large screen size with a fixed width, so the content will remain the same size but the margins on either side will increase. However, when viewing on very small resolutions there does seem to be a problem with the static divs running over the main content.

nightbandit

Reaction score
In Firefox when I scroll left and right the Route and Login box move when I scroll. Oh and I have to scroll right to your content - people find that annoying. Other than that the site is very good. btw my screen resolution is 1024x768

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
OK, I'll see what I can do about that. The column on the left will move unfortunately because of the nature of the 'static' property. This leaves me with two options, remove the static-ness or leave it there were it might be an annoyance to some users.
Also, I might just tighten everything up a bit, I just realised that it is slightly too wide for a 1024 window, it currently comes in at 1080px wide, so I'll just pull it all inwards a bit.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
I thought I'd just update you as to the progress I have made with your suggestion: The site now fits on a 1024x768 monitor and I have updated some of the graphics. I am still working on ideas for a new background.