Flushing your DNS

davearonson

Reaction score
Unfortunately, many of us are downstream of a DNS cache we don't have any control over, like at work, or that may be a bit trickier, like a home network router (which I suppose could just be power-cycled if nobody else is on).

nimd4

Reaction score
XP And Below:
1.) Go to start->run.
2.) Type in "cmd" without the quotes.
3.) At the command prompt type "ipconfig /flushdns" again without quotes.
Could it also be?!
  1. IPCONFIG /all Display full configuration information.
  2. IPCONFIG /release [adapter] Release the IP address for the specified adapter.
    Basically (in some/most cases :)): IPCONFIG /release all
  3. IPCONFIG /flushdns Purge the DNS Resolver cache.
  4. IPCONFIG /renew [adapter] Renew the IP address for the specified adapter.
    Basically (in some/most cases :)): IPCONFIG /renew all

ps.
This thread does not appear anywhere near the top of the search results when you search on 'flush DNS'.
Probably vBulletin will not search 3-character-words.
Unfortunately [..]
Yeah, like on cable. This won't work.

Last edited:

med.zrouga

Reaction score
Hey ppl

i want to say that i have a static ip address so no reflushing is there another way arround ?

allofus

Reaction score
You can save this in a .bat file on your windows desktop;

Code:
ipconfig/release
ipconfig/flushdns
ipconfig/renew

Click, blink, done.
Vista might need right click, run as admin...

effone

Reaction score
Another Windoze method is to right click your local area connection and click 'repair'. Flushing DNS is one of the tasks performed during this process. XP is considerably faster with this than Vista +

ah-blabla

Reaction score
Also, if the given linux command does not work, use:
/etc/init.d/nscd restart
It might be worth mentioning that this only works if you have a dns caching daemon installed, and many using linux don't have such a daemon, and therefore no dns caching, thus not needing to flush dns in the first place. A second note is the fact that you might have to wait for whatever dns server you are using to update itself if you have only recently changed dns settings (up to 48 hours). And lastly, some routers have built in dns caches, and the method for clearing them varies from product to product.

nimd4

Reaction score
i want to say that i have a static ip address so no reflushing is there another way arround ?
Yes you can tunnel your connection, or use a proxy program (that's besides switching off your modem for like 2-5 min., for the server - your ISP - to assign a new IP address)....
Code:
http://www.proxyswitcher.com/kb.html
The proxy has to be the right kind, transparent, or elite in most cases - in order to achieve the right result(s). Make sure that when you test for anonymity, you include a referrer anonymity check, etc. Though probably for RapidShare, for example, it's not needed to go that far.

P.S. Sometimes the TOR Network can be your friend, too.
Code:
http://www.torproject.org/
P.P.S. Also with some ISPs it's possible to "spoof" your (LAN) network adapter's MAC address - or your modem's (in which case please be advised that it can render your equipment/connection inoperable) - and get a new IP address assigned in that way.

:)

Last edited: