font sizes in multiple browsers

garrensilverwing

Reaction score
I have some trouble with font sizes in different browsers. It is not a big deal, for the most part, but if I use one font for a large body of text then the slight difference in the sizes between firefox, explorer and safari cause a considerable difference in how much space the text actually uses, leaving some empty white space. Usually firefox has the largest font, then safari followed by the internet explorers. I hope that wasnt too confusing. I think it might have something to do with the fact that I use descriptions to size the font instead of pixel measurements but I am not sure, I am new to web design :)

Here is my text css:

/* text */
.title {
font-size: x-large;
color: #0C0D1A;
font-weight:bold;
}
.date {
color: #354E6D;
font-size: small;
}
.txtbody {
font-weight: bold;
font-size: medium;
text-align: justify;
}
.txtcenter {
text-align: center;
}
.LinkTitles {
font-weight: bold;
}
/* end text */

sarvar

Reaction score
You answered your own question. :]

Use pixels for fonts, if you don't know which pixel size to use, test them all out, starting from 12px.

garrensilverwing

Reaction score
sometimes you just have to ask stupid questions that you already know the answer to :cool:

Last edited:

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Don't use pixels. It's better to use % or em units instead. It's always better to have relative size instead of fixed.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You don't need a tutorial for that. Just instead of font-size: x-large; use font-size: 1.2em; or instead of font-size: small; use font-size: 0.8em;

Remember to define font-size: 1em; in your body css so that everything else could be relative to it.

To understand it better think about 1em as 100%. Note that values are relative to their parents.

Feel free to experiment on these values.