Form Submission Apache Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdisonTigersAlumni

Reaction score
I have created 3 forms & placed them in 1 page...the user is supposed to fill out ONE of the three forms & click the "Submit" button at the bottom.

I have tested these forms...but I have a problem. Updon clicking "Submit" I get the following error:

Not Found

The requested URL /--WEBBOT-SELF-- was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.39 Server at www.edisontigersalumni.com Port 80

I created the Code in MS Frontpage 2003. Here is a copy of the Code for one of the forms (all 3 forms are pretty much the same):

Code:
<form method="POST" action="--WEBBOT-SELF--" name="Alumni Admin Submission Form1">
  <!--webbot bot="SaveResults" U-File="fpweb:///_private/reunion_results.htm" S-Format="HTML/PRE" S-Label-Fields="FALSE" B-Reverse-Chronology="FALSE" S-Email-Format="TEXT/PRE" S-Email-Address="EdisonTigersAlumni@gmail.com" B-Email-Label-Fields="FALSE" B-Email-Subject-From-Field="FALSE" S-Email-Subject="Alumni/Admin Submission Form" S-Date-Format="%m/%d/%Y" S-Time-Format="%I:%M %p" S-Builtin-Fields="HTTP_USER_AGENT Date Time" -->
  <p align="left"><label for="fp29">Class/Classes: </label>
  &nbsp;<!--webbot bot="Validation" s-display-name="First Name" s-data-type="String" b-allow-digits="TRUE" b-allow-whitespace="TRUE" s-allow-other-chars="-" b-value-required="TRUE" i-minimum-length="2" i-maximum-length="10" --><input type="text" name="First_Name1" size="10" id="fp29" tabindex="28" maxlength="10">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 
  &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <label for="fp30">Date: </label>
  &nbsp;<!--webbot bot="Validation" s-data-type="String" b-allow-letters="TRUE" i-maximum-length="16" --><input type="text" name="Last_Name1" size="12" id="fp30" tabindex="29" maxlength="16">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
  <label for="fp31">Start Time: </label>
  &nbsp;<!--webbot bot="Validation" b-value-required="TRUE" --><input type="text" name="Start0" size="10" tabindex="30" id="fp31">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
  <label for="fp32">End Time: </label>
  <input type="text" name="End0" size="10" tabindex="31" id="fp32"></p>
  <p align="left"><label for="fp33">Contact Name: </label>
  &nbsp;<!--webbot bot="Validation" s-display-name="Phone" s-data-type="Integer" s-number-separators="x" b-value-required="TRUE" i-minimum-length="7" i-maximum-length="10" --><input type="text" name="Phone2" size="30" maxlength="10" style="letter-spacing: 2pt" tabindex="32" id="fp33">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 
  <label for="fp34">Contact Phone: </label>
  &nbsp;<!--webbot bot="Validation" s-display-name="Phone" s-data-type="Integer" s-number-separators="x" b-value-required="TRUE" i-minimum-length="7" i-maximum-length="10" --><input type="text" name="Phone3" size="18" maxlength="10" style="letter-spacing: 2pt" tabindex="33" id="fp34">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
  <label for="fp35">Contact E-Mail: </label>
  <input type="text" name="T10" size="40" id="fp35" tabindex="34"></p>
  <p align="left"><label for="fp36">Location Address: </label> 
  <input type="text" name="T11" size="30" tabindex="35" id="fp36"><label for="fp37">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; City:
  </label>
  <input type="text" name="T12" size="20" tabindex="36" id="fp37">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 
  <label for="fp38">Cost (enter 0 for Free): </label>
  &nbsp;<!--webbot bot="Validation" s-data-type="Number" s-number-separators=",." b-value-required="TRUE" i-minimum-length="1" i-maximum-length="8" s-validation-constraint="Greater than or equal to" s-validation-value="0" --><input type="text" name="Cost0" size="8" tabindex="37" maxlength="8" id="fp38">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
  <label for="fp40">Cost per Couple: </label>
  &nbsp;<!--webbot bot="Validation" s-data-type="Number" s-number-separators=",." b-value-required="TRUE" i-minimum-length="1" i-maximum-length="8" s-validation-constraint="Greater than or equal to" s-validation-value="0" --><input type="text" name="Cost1" size="8" tabindex="38" maxlength="8" id="fp40"></p>
  <p align="left">
  &nbsp;<label for="fp39">Brief Statement (1000 characters Max):<br>
  <align="left">&nbsp;</label><!--webbot bot="Validation" s-data-type="String" b-allow-letters="TRUE" b-allow-digits="TRUE" b-allow-whitespace="TRUE" b-value-required="TRUE" i-maximum-length="1000" --><textarea rows="5" name="S3" cols="120" tabindex="39" id="fp39"></textarea></p>
  <p align="left"><input type="submit" value="Submit" name="B5" tabindex="40"><input type="reset" value="Reset" name="B6" tabindex="41"></p>
</form>
</font></font>

I have a feeling I need to adjust the Apache settings but I wouldn't have the 1st idea what to adjust. Can someone help?

Edit:
Here is some info from Microsoft:

Important
  • To collect form results in an e-mail message, contact your Web server administrator or Internet Service Provider (ISP) to ensure that the server is running Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions, SharePoint Team Services version 1.0 from Microsoft, or Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services.
  • Additionally, the server must be configured to send e-mail. Contact your server administrator or your Internet service provider (ISP) to find out if the Web server that hosts your Web site is configured to send e-mail.
  1. In Page view, at the bottom of the document window, click Design
    default.aspx
  2. Right-click the form, and then click Form Properties.
  3. Click Send to.
  4. In the E-mail address box, type the e-mail address to which you want to send the form results.
  5. If you do not want results saved to a file in addition to being sent in e-mail, clear the File name box, and then click Options.
  6. Click the E-mail Results tab.
  7. Then do one or more of the following:
    • In the E-mail format list, click the text format you want.
    • To specify the subject line of the e-mail message, under E-mail message header in the Subject line box, type the text that you want. If you leave this box blank, the default subject line in the e-mail will be "Form Results."
    • If you want the subject line of the e-mail message to contain the results of one field from your form, next to Subject line select the Form field name, check box, and then type the name of the field in the Subject line box.
    • If you want a specific e-mail address to appear as the sender of the e-mail message (the From or Reply To line in the e-mail), type that address in the Reply-to line box.
    • If your form contains a field that collects the site visitor's e-mail address, you can use that address as the sender's address. Next to Reply-to line, select the Form field name, check box, and then in the Reply-to line box, type the name of the form field.
Now I'm thinking that my issues MAY lie in what is detailed in Bullet #1 & 2 at the top.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slothie

Reaction score
You may want to consider using the code tags. Your code is hardly legible otherwise.

EdisonTigersAlumni

Reaction score
It looks FINE in FP & in other editors...it's just bcuz the lines are wrapping instead of breaking in the width given by the thread.

Copy & paste it to your HTML Editor, then let me know what the prob is...honestly, I don't believe that the problem is with the code itself...

Josh

Micro

Retired staff <i> (11-12-2008)</I>
Reaction score
Do you have the frontpage extensions installed? Did you "Publish" your website from frontpage, or just upload the files with FTP?

EdisonTigersAlumni

Reaction score
Which FP Extensions?

I actually Copied the Code from FP & Pasted it to the file on my site.
How do I "Publish" it to the site and does that make any difference?

Josh

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I wrapped it in CODE tags so it's easier to see.

action="--WEBBOT-SELF--" At the beginining of the form tag needs to be changed to action="PAGENAME.html"

--WEBBOT-SELF-- doesn't exist and needs to be replaced with the file name that you're going to.

-Corey

EdisonTigersAlumni

Reaction score
ok that sounds simple enough...one question though...will this change accommodate the form being E-MAILED to the address I entered or will it cause an HTML File to be created with the entered info?

Thanks,
Josh

DJHolliday

Reaction score
that depends on your receiving script.
The form just collects the data and sends it to a page/script on the server.
The script actually does the work and could compile an email or dump the data to a file, etc.
The form is just one part of the job.

EdisonTigersAlumni

Reaction score
All of the code for the submission form is pasted above. Is there something specific I would need to add to that code?

If the answer is quite complicated, could U point me in the direction of a Tutorial?

The following is in the 2nd line "<!--webbot bot="SaveResults" U-File="fpweb:///_private/reunion_results.htm""

Do I need to create the "fpweb:///_private/reunion_results.htm" file? If so, in what folder would it need to be created?

What will happen to the 1st person's info upon a second submission? Would it be appended or overwritten?

If U notice, about 1/2-way down the 2nd line, the e-mail addy is entered...how do I configure the Webbot to send the entered info to that e-mail addy? I was under the impression that upon the adjusting of the settings in FP, everything should be functional.

Thanks,
Josh

Last edited:

EdisonTigersAlumni

Reaction score
My page is currently in HTML. The above link mentions PHP...I'm going to visit that link right now.

Is it possible to Nest PHP inside of my existing HTML page, or do I need to "convert" anything/everything or is this something that's NOT an issue at all...Sometimes HTML & CSS use certain coding slightly different...that's the kinda of conflicts I'm asking about.

I'm going to that link right now.
Josh

EdisonTigersAlumni

Reaction score
I am still having trouble with this issue. Can anyone help?

I need the entered data to be e-mailed when the "Submit" button is clicked.

How do I configure that so I won't get the Webbot Error?

Josh

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
If the page is HTML as far as I know it would have to submit to a CGI script or a PHP page. Some type of scripting that sends the Email for you. Your best bet is to do some reading on Google on creating a form to send email out. I do not know CGI but in PHP it is fairly easy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.