Forza 3 or Gran turismo 5

websitedude

Reaction score
Which game is the best forza 3 or granturismo 5 ( prologue) which ever one is the best will the the console i get (xbox 360 and ps3)

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
The adverts for Forza Motorsport 3 make it look better than GT5 Prologue, but the ads use graphics that are "representative" of gameplay graphics. Excluding developments in the consoles, meaning graphics, I think I prefer the original Forza Motorsport to GT5 Prologue, because it seems more realistic, considering the constraints of playing with a controller.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I hated prologue. It was terrible. Forza 3's demo blew me away.

I'd go with Forza over GT:5 Prologue any day. It's simply more fun.

skai123

Reaction score
GT5 will release Q1 of next year....

GT5 looks increadible and has more features...

models included
1,000 vehicles
170 Premium new models (full interior modeling, the interior corresponds to vehicle damage)
830 kinds of standard model (some are from Gran Turismo 4 that have been carried over to GT5) [Read: Cars we have seen in GT4 before ]
Courses
more than 20 courses, more than 60 layouts
physical simulation of vehicles
Physics system simulation is brand new
Represented is full fall in vehicles [possibly rollover]
Damage representation (reproduced in full by real-time collision deformation)
faithfully reproducing the behavior of electric cars, i.e. Prius, Insight, hybrid cars and the latest Tesla model
Arcade Mode
Single Race
2 player battle
GT Mode
World Map
My Garage
Car Dealer
Tuning Shop (parts, tires)
Car Washes/Oil Change
Race Championship (Series system, point system)
License Test
Open Lobby
Text / Voice Chat
Private rooms
Online Photo Album
Online Replay Album
YouTube replay output
Photo Mode
Photo Drive (Circuit)
Photo stage (Stage Photo mode only)
Gran Turismo TV
Video output to a PSP or PSP Go®
Progressive Download
Improved
user interface
Continuous Play for videos

Museums
The Gran Turismo 5 Prologue version, + more information at TGS

Sound
Custom soundtracks (Use songs from your PS3 hard-drive)
Dolby Digital 5.1 and 7.1
User Interface
The Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, and the same design concept. The icons change color
Able to track the movement of Cockpit Camera interface (confirmed in full 3-D. The camera can be fully manipulated and you can opt to have your head tracked by the PSEye)

nterror

Reaction score
Im going with Gran Turismo.

Been a fan since GT2, haven't play Prologue because well... why should I? I'm waiting for the real GT5. :hyper:

Played Forza 2, hated it. Not going back. Plus its 360... WASTE OF $$$.

skai123

Reaction score
interesting read...
Forza 3 performace compared to Forza 2 and GT5: Prologue
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-forza3-evolution-article

The gist of it....

Compared to Forza 2

+ Artistic decisions are much improved
+ Lighting is no longer inconsistent
+ Specular maps on roads
+ Better reflection textures

- Less crowds (saves fill-rate and polygons)
- No anisotropic filtering (saves texture processing and bandwidth)

Just like Gears of War 2 the way they got improvements in lighting and textures was by cutting back where they felt people will notice it the least.

Compared with GT5 Prologue...

+ Replay mode has slightly better motion blur
+ V-synced to avoid tearing

- GT5P has far more sophisticated lighting
- GT5P in 720P has 4xMSAA (double of Forza 3)
- GT5P in 1080P mode has 50% higher resolution but still has 2xAA
- GT5P is processing twice as many cars
- GT5P has tons of transparencies like dust-clouds
- GT5P has lots of effects (like heat haze) that Forza 3 simply does not

----------------------------------

What they failed to mention about Forza 3 is the warped camera perspective. While GT5P uses a realistic field of view, Forza 3 artifically warps it so that distant objects appear even farther away than they really are.

The benefit of this from a performance standpoint is that you can use lower detail models for much of the environment until the car is closer to them.

The pictures below are perfect for demostrating what Turn10 has done because it provides a common point of reference ... the ferris wheel.

You can see that nearby objects (like the ferris wheel) are the same size in both games but in Forza 3, everything farther away is much smaller and appear to be much more distant than they really are.

GT5:p
http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/8/2/4/5/2/8/PS3_004.bmp.jpg

F3
http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/8/2/4/5/2/8/360_004.bmp.jpg

By warping the perspective in this manner you conserve a lot of processing power and bandwidth which is why it's more commonly used in FPS games. Even Gears, a TPS, uses this trick to maintain frame-rate when you run. You'll notice that as soon as you hit the button anything farther away will magically shrink and when you stop running will grow back to normal size.

They also failed to mention the fact that unlike GT5 Prologue, Forza 3 blacks out nearly all of the interior surfaces to conserve polygons and processing.

Anisotropic Filtering (AF) is another point he missed. GT5 Prologue has it Forza 3 does not. Having no AF conserves processing and bandwidth. Anyone who has played PC games and turned off AF knows it's effect on frame-rate.
Edit:
the graphics on the promo vids for forza 3 do look very good...

of course, those are not the same graphics they have in game when racing....

Last edited:

Clinton

Reaction score
GT5 isn't out yet so no point in making the comparison. I don't buy much for my 360 in the first place so that excludes Forza. It looks a bit on the cartoon visuals side.

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
I've never played either, but I have a friend into cars and whatnot who's been absolutely raving about Forza 3. Apparently, the physics are extremely impressive.

--- Mr. DOS

Evocation

Reaction score
Think of forza as a racing game, while GT is a racing simulation.
Forza has more focus on making racing, fun, accessible, full of features and customisable.
GT focuses on realism, and make sure everything is as close to real world as possible.

GT:p and forza3 can't really be compared, forza is the 2nd X360 game, so they had alot of feedback to make changes, GT:p is the first of this gens games, and was more a glorified demo/beta test so they can judge on features to but in the main game.

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
I rather play gran turismo since it looks really good and with a steering wheel it's almost like driving a real car.

websitedude

Reaction score
the thing with gt5 is only some cars will have damage which isn't a very good idea you can't put damage on some cars but not others. Admitidly the damage on forza isn't very realistic but its better than nothing

skai123

Reaction score
the thing with gt5 is only some cars will have damage which isn't a very good idea you can't put damage on some cars but not others. Admitidly the damage on forza isn't very realistic but its better than nothing

you're wrong, all cars in GT5 will have damages and
170 Premium new models (full interior modeling, the interior corresponds to vehicle damage)

IGN spoke to a Sony representative at the Tokyo Game Show and he confirmed that all cars will support deformation, such as scratches, and mechanical damage, that will affect the performance of the car in a big way.

---------------

GB: Gran Turismo 5 will offer a new kind of damage…
KY: Right now we are adding a brand new real-time deformation engine that will process according to the speed and angle of impact. But doing this in real-time remains truly complex. We could make it an easier way with pre-damaged models but definitely we don’t want to make it that way.

----------

there are rumors that there's going to be a track editor...

oh and the weather system is done.

“Night racing is going to be a part of GT5, but with things like dynamic weather, the choice is about whether it will improve the experience. The functionality is not a problem – we’ve got the weather system done – but if we are not sure about the quality of it, and how it improves the driving experience, we are not going to have it in the game.”

“Let me be clear on this. There is a massive amount of content in this game, I don’t think there are many teams that put as much into a game as we can. The launch of the game isn’t a start, we are releasing a full game. Everything we want to put into the game is on the disc when it ships. Having said that, we do have a sizeable online team that will look after it once it’s launched.”

Last edited: